Sponsored by:

Integrated Exhaust Holes

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 05:58 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
I find the outrage over these somewhat humorous. Stepping back, philosophically, are these evil compared to...you know...exhaust tips? Aren't they kind of "fake," too? Or at least purely cosmetic? I mean, is the value of a purely cosmetic tip clamped onto a pipe to make it prettier so much greater than a purely cosmetic "tip" mounted to the bumper instead? And, if so, where was the outrage with the current GT2 RS?

So this is an exhaust tip that buffers expensive mechanicals from (likely) damage out in the real world, reducing repair costs and thus insurance costs. And the problem is…?

Don't get me wrong: My favorite exhaust systems, philosophically, involve pipes that look right without a tip or tips—think early four-cam peashooter, or 911/914-6 sport muffler—though I will admit some tips look pretty great. The 930 and early 928 come to mind. The 991.1 and 991.2 Carrera S (non-PSE) quad tips do, as well. And, fwiw, 992 non-PSE > 991.2 PSE if appearance matters...
Totally agree. Here's a pic of my 991.2 sport exhaust (Excuse the muck. I drive it in the winter). As you can see the tip is much bigger than the actual exhaust pipe. To me, whether it's attached to the bumper or to the pipe using a $1.50 clamp makes no difference. They both perform the same function and are just there for appearance sake. That being said, several years ago when I owned my 991.1, due to complete stupidity on my part my car rolled backward and hit a brick wall at no more than 5 mph. There was $7000 worth of damage, most of which was for repairing the exhaust system.

Old 01-26-2019, 07:58 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

^^^ Fair.

While the bumper exhaust holes do strike me as fake at first, they are at the bottom of my list of 992 gripes.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:22 PM
stealthpilot
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil T
While I know this isn't a new phenom it still begs the question....why? I grabbed a photo of the exhaust last night and was surprised at how much smaller the actual exhaust is compared to the bumper hole. Let's hear your thoughts......Phil
This is true of all exhaust tips. The nice diamond shaped tips on my Turbo S don't reflect the actual exhaust pipe. The actual exhaust pipes are smaller and round, and the diamond tips are bolted on. All exhaust tips are fake. If you want real, then you want the exhaust to peak out with no tips bolted on.

Only difference between 991 and 992 is the tips aren't bolted. Other than that, both are cosmetic add ons that have exhaust gas flowing out.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:04 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,191 Likes on 574 Posts

991.1 GTS vs 991.2 GT3T vs 992 exhaust tips. I know which one(s) I prefer, and it ain't the last one. Similar to going FI in the Carrera, Porsche seems to be following the trend of other carmakers in having "fake" exhaust tips. I did not used to notice this on cars, now I can't help but look at a car's rear and notice what type of exhaust tips it has.

Old 01-26-2019, 11:18 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

I am one of those people calling them fake in the bashing thread because, well, that's what that thread is for. My 991.2 exhaust tips are also just for looks and I guess they are also fakes, but in both cases the exhaust still passes through them. On another note, I actually prefer the tailpipes moving away from the center in the 992 (both PSE and standard quad tailpipes) vs. the 991.2's PSE that's more centered like it's a Boxster.
Old 01-26-2019, 11:42 PM
ryandarr1979
Three Wheelin'

Received 837 Likes on 417 Posts

I have a bunch of gripes about the 992. This isn’t one of them. It makes sense why Porsche went that route.
Old 01-27-2019, 12:28 AM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

Those pics above pretty well sum up my feelings on the new exhaust tips. From all outward appearances no one would know whether or not any of the "fake" exhaust tips shown (Yes, all three cars have "fake" exhaust tips.) are attached with a clamp or not. As steathpilot stated, all add-on exhaust tips are "fake", whether attached or not. I'd really like to see the end of all this 992 (and sometimes 991.2) nitpicking. The car is being produced, and there's nothing anyone on this forum can do about it. If you like it and want a new 911, buy one. If you don't, keep what you have or buy something else. This should be a forum for information. We already know about the "nubbin", the exhaust tips, the door handles, the digital instruments, etc. That's old news. Let's hear about how the car drives, what the seats feel like, what the different colors look like in real life, and other useful information. Let's use this forum for potential buyers to get advice and opinions on options, to gather info on where to get the best deals, to determine when their favorite versions might be available.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:31 AM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Nothing new. 1957 Thunderbird had them.

Old 02-06-2019, 04:41 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil T
For me the "Bigger" issue is the size of the bumper holes. Why make them so large and then use a soda straw for the actual exhaust.....makes no sense. I guess this is form over function at it's finest and Porsche got right in line with everyone else. The worst case I've seen is the new Audi Q5.....the actual exhaust is pointed at the ground.
#BARF

Quick Reply: Integrated Exhaust Holes