Sponsored by:

No complaints this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 05:12 AM
Senna01
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 30 Posts
Default No complaints this?

I noticed something strangely familiar the other day on a 918. Funny how most people didn't freak out about this shaver **** but the 992 had the same people spitting out roofing nails lol.

Old 01-23-2019, 05:42 AM
DKST
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Senna01
I noticed something strangely familiar the other day on a 918. Funny how most people didn't freak out about this shaver **** but the 992 had the same people spitting out roofing nails lol.
Considering the fact that only 918 units were built (compared to US only 72'300 units sold 991s between 2011 - 2018) and the shifter was kind of hidden behind the steering wheel as opposed to the 992 where it sits in the very center of the console, it's not surprising.

Old 01-23-2019, 06:20 AM
Senna01
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by DKST
Considering the fact that only 918 units were built (compared to US only 72'300 units sold 991s between 2011 - 2018) and the shifter was kind of hidden behind the steering wheel as opposed to the 992 where it sits in the very center of the console, it's not surprising.
In all honesty I think most people were concentrating on the 918 itself rather than the shaver. It was/is a groundbreaking car so the gear shifter was a pretty insignificant part of the car as a whole
Old 01-23-2019, 05:24 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

The 918 is a hybrid. It doesn't support manual shifting, so a semi-functional nubbin is fine in that application.

The 992 is not a hybrid, at least not yet.

We can only buy the car that's for sale now, not the one that might or might not be available in model year 202X. I expect the engineers to provide the appropriate controls for the car that they are selling today. You should, too.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:28 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

The 918 nubbin is a tiny mole on a beautiful supermodel. The 992 nubbin is a tumor on Roseanne.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:31 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,451 Likes on 798 Posts

In addition to the points above, if they had put that on the center console where a gear shift lever is normally found, you might have heard some complaints.

As our X5 lease comes up, and as BMW has taken a significant turn for the ugly with their new gaping grill, we started looking for other options. The Benz GLE popped up as a candidate, quite a nice looking car overall with good motor choices/etc. Then I come to find that they use a column mounted stalk for the shifter. Right alongside the windshield wiper control, presumably. Needless to say, that thing is off the list. Maybe I'm in the minority, but there is at least one other potential purchaser that I know of that eliminated the GLE for the same reason.

For me at least, the shifter being in the proper location and of the proper size is a key requirement. I'm not ready to give that up.

Don't **** with our shifters, people!

Anyway, for that reason and others, my 992 will be a manual. Hopefully a 992 GT3T.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:41 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dhirm5
In addition to the points above, if they had put that on the center console where a gear shift lever is normally found, you might have heard some complaints.

As our X5 lease comes up, and as BMW has taken a significant turn for the ugly with their new gaping grill, we started looking for other options. The Benz GLE popped up as a candidate, quite a nice looking car overall with good motor choices/etc. Then I come to find that they use a column mounted stalk for the shifter. Right alongside the windshield wiper control, presumably. Needless to say, that thing is off the list. Maybe I'm in the minority, but there is at least one other potential purchaser that I know of that eliminated the GLE for the same reason.

For me at least, the shifter being in the proper location and of the proper size is a key requirement. I'm not ready to give that up.

Anyway, for that reason and others, my 992 will be a manual. Hopefully a 992 GT3T.
Rightly said.....
Old 01-23-2019, 08:43 PM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
The 918 is a hybrid. It doesn't support manual shifting, so a semi-functional nubbin is fine in that application.

The 992 is not a hybrid, at least not yet.

We can only buy the car that's for sale now, not the one that might or might not be available in model year 202X. I expect the engineers to provide the appropriate controls for the car that they are selling today. You should, too.
What do you mean by "it doesn't support manual shifting"?

It has paddles on the wheel. And while I've never been in a position to drive a 918, all the videos I've watched show manual shifting through the paddles.

What am I missing?
Old 01-23-2019, 09:14 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by iammacey
What do you mean by "it doesn't support manual shifting"?

It has paddles on the wheel. And while I've never been in a position to drive a 918, all the videos I've watched show manual shifting through the paddles.

What am I missing?
The paddles are only active part-time AFAIK. Do they do anything at all when running in EV-only mode? I shouldn't say, "it doesn't support manual shifting," but rather, "it deprecates manual shifting."

Point being, nobody cares if the 918 doesn't have a fully-functional console-mounted shifter. It's not meant to be that kind of car. The 911 is. Using the 918 as an example to refute criticism of the nubbin in the 992 is not valid.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:17 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by dhirm5

Its an automatic suv. Who cares where the shifter is?

Old 01-23-2019, 10:26 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,451 Likes on 798 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Its an automatic suv. Who cares where the shifter is?
It's a perfectly reasonable question. I don't have an answer, other than "I do".
Old 01-23-2019, 10:51 PM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
The paddles are only active part-time AFAIK. Do they do anything at all when running in EV-only mode? I shouldn't say, "it doesn't support manual shifting," but rather, "it deprecates manual shifting."

Point being, nobody cares if the 918 doesn't have a fully-functional console-mounted shifter. It's not meant to be that kind of car. The 911 is. Using the 918 as an example to refute criticism of the nubbin in the 992 is not valid.
I understand. Thank you for clarifying further.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:25 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Senna01

I commented several times about the 918 tie in with the nubbin. And also postulated that if they moved the nubbin to the dash in the 992, al la the 918, and made better use of the center console, there might have been less controversy about it.

Putting the little nubbin central as a "shifter", however, is pretty silly.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:38 AM
DKST
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
I commented several times about the 918 tie in with the nubbin. And also postulated that if they moved the nubbin to the dash in the 992, al la the 918, and made better use of the center console, there might have been less controversy about it.

Putting the little nubbin central as a "shifter", however, is pretty silly.
Where would you have put the manual gearshift then?
Old 01-24-2019, 12:27 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by DKST

Where would you have put the manual gearshift then?
On a small console just for that would have been great. I think the unnecessarily huge and wide center console is the 992 interiors worst offense and if they had just eliminated it altogether it would have dramatically improved the interior. That console is a giant chunk of real estate for no real purpose other than some climate switches and a cup holder and overall it exhibits very poor function vs form ratio.

I love the idea of the PDK selector just being moved to the dash in a similar fashion to the 918 as that would have made a lot more sense but Porsche doesn't seem to be about making sense lately.

Quick Reply: No complaints this?