Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is ordering the glass roof a smart idea?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 06:20 PM
Dr. Ice
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by limegreen
I personally think having no sunroof looks the most solid and aggressive. Clean lines across the entire roof, less weight, less complexity, nothing to worry about breaking... If your the kind of guy who never uses the sunroof on any of your other cars I promise you won't miss it.
I am in your camp. We have them in our other cars but never use them. My last new C7 had a targa room and I think it was off twice in the 3.5 years I owned it.
Old 02-21-2019, 05:06 AM
miglio
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Without, for me, car seems too cheap.

Weight or other considerations is too much for 99% of us.

If you are a track man ok, but if you're not the body structure and rigidity is pretty the same with or without.

Year after year, Imho,
911 is more granturismo model rather than track/race model's.

If the weight is the problem beware of AC, navi, bose, electric seats, hot/warm seats, etc

Old 02-21-2019, 08:28 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 735 Likes on 537 Posts

Use mine daily except when it rains. Use both settings - pop up and all the way open....Southern climate in Atlanta...
Old 02-21-2019, 04:50 PM
MacAna
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by hymo1200
I was struggeling with a similiar question.

When placing my order for the 992 immediately went for the glass roof, as I had it in my Panamera too and it was actually a nice to have, although I didn‘t use it that often.

when I saw more and more pictures on the web of the new 992 (ordered mine in GT silver), I did not really like the look from outside, as for my tast it completely destroys the design/silouhette of the car. Especially the huge black area from the front window to the whole end of the car, did not fit for me. Also the connection of the black roof to the black back-window does not look that sound to me.

If I compared it to the picture of the GT silver 992 without the glass roof, I do like this way more.

finally deleted the sun roof from my built...
I felt the opposite on my Carrara White build... I will never use it, but definitely ordered the glass sunroof.
Old 02-21-2019, 05:58 PM
miglio
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MacAna
I felt the opposite on my Carrara White build... I will never use it, but definitely ordered the glass sunroof.
I've done the same.

I've ordered panoramic sunroof because imho white 911 perfect match with black roof...i have added black wheels also, so the match is complete.

No privacy glass because I don't like the too black long glass effect... Standard glass cut the view and delete this potential issue.

The silhouette is ok and finally it's looks richer and sportier... Without glass sunroof a WHITE 911 looks cheaper and more standard.

Dealer confirm me that quality is superb and there's no know issues from Porsche about it.

Everyday I drove my macan S with a lot of space, helped by the glass sunroof, so I've added also because in my previous 991.2 S I felt a bit claustrophobic and the glass in the roof help a lot the light come in

Quick Reply: Is ordering the glass roof a smart idea?