Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is ordering the glass roof a smart idea?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 08:20 PM
darkblack
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for the input guys, I love how it looks on Agate Grey but was worried about its longevity. I guess I will go with my gut and get it!
Old 01-25-2019, 08:27 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by DKST

I really don’t know what material these two elements are made of. The only thing I can tell you is that it easily scratched on my Macan after cleaning the sunroof. The glass part wasn’t scratched, the glossy black part was.
Agreed. I have the glass roof on my 991.2 and that black part has swirls on it from miscare.

I do not like the wind noise. It sounds ghetto.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:20 PM
GordyRay
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had the glass sun-roof on two 991 cars and besides enhancing the appearance it is great on cooler days to be able to look up. It opens the cockpit and makes for a very pleasant drive. Also I never had the whistling that was mentioned above. If I ever had any noise that was bothersome, I just pushed forward on the front panel that lifts up into the wind stream and the undesirable noise would go away.
Get the the glass sun-roof, it is great. I didn't have any wear or tear on either car.
Enjoy your new 992s.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:11 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,366 Likes on 2,309 Posts

I agree, if you were someone that hated sunroofs and would never, ever consider one you could find a reason or two to talk yourself out of it; however, that is not your case. If I listended to the reviews about how there was buffeting, wind noise, etc. when the Targa top is down I would not have bought one, but I tried it out in person and it looks fantastic (as does the glass sunroof IMO) thus I have no regrets for buying one.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:37 PM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

I’ve had them in some cars and not in others.

I personally noticed that I never actually open them. If you do, there’s a lot of wind buffering/turbulence going slow or it’s annoyingly loud at speeds. They do let more wind noise and heat/cold in even closed. The weight gain is high considering the location. Some cars had more ‘creaking’ from body flex around roof.

They way they ‘lighten’ up the interior is a nice plus and my favorite benefit.

If you use a roof rack and carry stuff in an SUV, the closed roof lets in a lot of noise compared to not having one.

Its nice to leave cracked open when parked and they’re even designed to keep rain out. Tends to be a bug fly trap though.

Ive never had one break. Seen it working even in 10+ year old cars.

The non-glass roof is common in 911s. It wasn’t till 991.2 gen you could option out of it in base/s/gts cars. GT cars never have it.

Glass is actually stronger than paint, so I wouldn’t be worsed about durability. Actually the plain roof is rather thin and can be buckled if you push down hard enough. I have see some cars where the panels didn’t meet up the best. Not sure if its some usage, weathering, or from factory.
Old 01-26-2019, 12:51 AM
DKST
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by GordyRay
I have had the glass sun-roof on two 991 cars and besides enhancing the appearance it is great on cooler days to be able to look up. It opens the cockpit and makes for a very pleasant drive. Also I never had the whistling that was mentioned above. If I ever had any noise that was bothersome, I just pushed forward on the front panel that lifts up into the wind stream and the undesirable noise would go away.
Get the the glass sun-roof, it is great. I didn't have any wear or tear on either car.
Enjoy your new 992s.
Lucky you! As you can see, there’s also positive experiences! Hope you’ll have the same experience, in case you go for the glass roof!
Old 02-02-2019, 10:59 AM
bmcginn
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the glass roof on my 2018 Panamera Turbo and never open it because on short trips it’s not worth the bother and on longer trips I don’t like the noise. And I’m not convinced I like the look of the glass vs paint. Although it sounds like I’m in the minority after reading the posts on this thread.
Old 02-02-2019, 12:46 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 708 Likes on 516 Posts

Once you have a glass roof you wonder why you never did it before and will always go for one going forward...
Old 02-02-2019, 12:51 PM
darkblack
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

So a number of you seem to think the glass roof has either whistling wind or some other type of adverse noise issue while others seem to be totally in favor of ordering the car with the glass roof. Does that mean the noise issue is present only in some cases and not all or are the others not bothered by it? I know it would bother me if my roof was whistling at high speeds!
Old 02-02-2019, 01:18 PM
Jdqt458
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Having recently had new 911 GTS and Macan GTS both with Glass Roofs I had no problems with noise ,leaks or whistles — as I believe it’s one of the best systems on the market .
Old 02-02-2019, 03:14 PM
bmcginn
Advanced

Just to clarify, there’s zero noise when it’s closed. I was referring to the noise when it’s open and you’re going 70 mph on a highway.
Old 02-02-2019, 03:23 PM
Jdqt458
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Zero noise when open at 70mph as the front deflector works a treat .
Old 02-02-2019, 03:28 PM
bmcginn
Advanced

That hasn’t been my experience in my Panamera, but I’ll give it another shot.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:48 PM
AviBen
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 76 Posts

I've had the glass roof on the two TTS's I've had, including the current one. I love it; in the warm weather I often have mine open; and, in the cold weather (I also have the winter wheel set), it's a pleasure to have the glass roof uncovered to let in sun and sky. It provides a nice, big open space, as close to a convertible as you can get. And, I like the look.
Old 02-02-2019, 10:05 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,366 Likes on 2,309 Posts

"as close to a convertible as you can get."

Other than a Targa of course.

Quick Reply: Is ordering the glass roof a smart idea?