Sat in the 992

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 04:49 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Disagree 100%.

One of the biggest drawbacks to a digital screen is that needle sweep is nowhere near as smooth as an actual physical dial. On a sports car, the rev counter has the most movement by far. The physical tach allows the gauge cluster to avoid that phenomenon. Replacing the analog tach with a digital gauge would cheapen the display considerably, IMO.
Agreed. All the digital gauges intended to emulate real gauges look cheap imo. On the 992, the beautiful center tach makes the entire driver side of the dash, as it gives a very high quality, physical-watch like, more refined look. Imagine all gauges with that retro center piece look? It'd look gorgeous. But alas, it's partnered with a bunch of insta-pixelated, not-fast-enough, soon to be Atari dated digital screens.
Old 02-06-2019, 05:03 AM
boyko23
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 23 Posts

On an average European car, which drove recently the digital rev needle is a clear example how bad these screens are. You press the pedal and the revs are around 5k, but you still see 3k for a good amount of time.
So, good decision from Porsche...
Old 02-06-2019, 02:14 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,580 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Originally Posted by boyko23
On an average European car, which drove recently the digital rev needle is a clear example how bad these screens are. You press the pedal and the revs are around 5k, but you still see 3k for a good amount of time.
So, good decision from Porsche...
I'm basing my experience off the Audi Virtual Cockpit, the current Volvos, and also the newer G series BMW's. IMO, BMW's got them the best. I don't like the new layout in the X5, but it's the smoothest. Volvo's is really naff, very laggy. They even put a little "comet trail" on the needles to try to disguise it. Audi is in the middle, and it's pretty smooth. But you can still tell it's a digi-gauge.

I didn't ever see the kind of lag you're describing though. I find the gauges to be largely accurate. But no matter how fast the LCD's turn on and off, I can still see that the movement is non-linear.

So very glad Porsche didn't go the full digital route.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:03 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,266 Likes on 638 Posts

After I saw it in person I've been saying the same thing... For some reason its a less photogenic 911 but in person I thought it looked great and I'd imagine plenty of the haters will eventually end up with one in the garage. The only thing that drives me nuts is the shiny black plastic on the center console and the "drive mode" **** looks a little bit hokey... I'm even ok with the nubbin. I think the 992 is a home run.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:51 PM
bmcginn
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I finally had the opportunity to see the 992 in person. I think the exterior looks fabulous. It looks bigger than the 991 and I don’t agree with the posters who call it a 991.3. It’s edgy and muscular and no one will mistake it for a 991. That said, I wasn’t as impressed with the interior as I expected to be. I thought it would be more 2018 Panamera or 2019 Cayenne like (and there are similarities), but it didn’t seem as dialed in as either of those cars. Because I like the exterior so much I’m going to withhold final judgement until I can drive one and spend more time in the car,
Old 02-07-2019, 11:33 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,432 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by eilig
I don't like the styling. The lack of round hood corners, which has been a Porsche design hallmark since the 356. The darth vader tail lights. And that pop-up door handle. I won't buy one. Just one man's opinion, don't shoot me.
And the wheels are fugly.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:19 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by bmcginn
I finally had the opportunity to see the 992 in person. I think the exterior looks fabulous. It looks bigger than the 991 and I don’t agree with the posters who call it a 991.3. It’s edgy and muscular and no one will mistake it for a 991. That said, I wasn’t as impressed with the interior as I expected to be. I thought it would be more 2018 Panamera or 2019 Cayenne like (and there are similarities), but it didn’t seem as dialed in as either of those cars. Because I like the exterior so much I’m going to withhold final judgement until I can drive one and spend more time in the car,
From the front the average person wouldn't tell. Most people can't tell a CLA from an S Class.

And from the side, they look nearly identical. Hard to see the added muscularity there. The only, and I mean only difference at the distant side profile (i.e not counting "door handles") is the slightly slimmer greenhouse, and slightly protruding front overhang.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:03 PM
MacAna
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by anythingbuttime
To any of us...whether you'd like it for yourself or not...it looks great. To your next door neighbor, you clearly couldn't afford leather.
Originally Posted by Northquest

Haha, haha! Well, he’s an idiot anyway...
LOL... we don't care what the neighbour thinks... but on a more serious note, has ANYBODY seen the non-leather standard interior on the 992? I honestly would prefer not taking the full leather, but I'm concerned about the quality of the rubber/plastics which disappointed me in my 991.1

Quick Reply: Sat in the 992