GT3 Rumors

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 09:30 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,761 Likes on 2,713 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Here's a "rumor" for you. : the 992 GT3 will have integrated "Michelin Track Connect" where based on temperature sensors in tires you will receive information on optimal individual tire pressures. No more guessing at pressures, you know exactly how each tire is doing thereby allowing you to maximize tire life and performance on the track. this will be integrated into PCM display and with onboard systems, gt3 will be one of the first cars in the world to have this system fully built-in to the car. Other tire suppliers scrambling as they effectively get locked out. More on this at Geneva. Ciao.
Great - that means we’ll get live tire temps as well...
Old 01-24-2019, 12:58 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by S.White
Well, that's not what I said at all but okay. The tuner shop is not tuning an engine or building components for a specific racing class. Porsche Motorsport is building for a specific racing class and therein lies the biggest difference to say it simply. The focus of the Porsche Motorsports development resources will be put towards things that can generate more advantage per dollar than the competition. If the competition has power limited in the same fashion as the Porsche teams or has power limited down to the Porsche team, you can bet most of their money will be focused on aero, tire management, and fuel management. Building up an engine that could make 30-40-50% more than it will ever see in competition is a waste of resources and would not be competitive due to that. So, they don't (in your words) "try very hard" on that aspect and instead "try very hard" on the things that can net them more advantage per $.

The tuner shop hasn't made a 15% improvement yet but have made projections that would net 15% improvement on WHP (475whp) on the 991.1 GT3 with the modifications I mentioned. 15% HP improvement on the 991.2 GT3RS would net (you guessed it) 598bhp! You should look up their Instagram account. You might be impressed with what a small tuner shop with the right personnel, technology, and market can accomplish in today's world.
I know all about Dundon; I've met Jamie more than once. Nothing against the company but I often wonder why people buying these expensive cars are so credulous.

Tell you what, I'm headed to Daytona tonight. If I see Fritz Enginzer or the aforementioned Pascal Z. over the weekend (I expect to; they usually eat dinner in the Hospitality suite vs. the team tent on Saturday night) I'll pull this thread up and encourage them to bring the Dundon "Motorsports" team in house.

I'm also prepared to walk the paddock and ask every customer Porsche GTD team why they aren't using Dundon "Motorsports" exhausts instead of the one those second rate twits in Weissach designed.

Originally Posted by signes
Time to stop digging Herr White...
+1

Here's a "rumor" for you. : the 992 GT3 will have integrated "Michelin Track Connect" where based on temperature sensors in tires you will receive information on optimal individual tire pressures. No more guessing at pressures, you know exactly how each tire is doing thereby allowing you to maximize tire life and performance on the track. this will be integrated into PCM display and with onboard systems, gt3 will be one of the first cars in the world to have this system fully built-in to the car. Other tire suppliers scrambling as they effectively get locked out. More on this at Geneva. Ciao.
Long overdue and a genuine feature that will please customers.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:27 PM
Sunny_M3
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

How did a GT3 Rumors thread turn into Dundon vs. Weissach? People will buy whatever parts they want and it's up to each manufacturer to stand by their claims. Now lets all shake hands and grab a beer!
Old 01-24-2019, 05:32 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunny_M3
How did a GT3 Rumors thread turn into Dundon vs. Weissach? People will buy whatever parts they want and it's up to each manufacturer to stand by their claims. Now lets all shake hands and grab a beer!
I'm poking fun at the guy because he made an astonishingly bold (and, frankly, ridiculous) claim and then just kept digging his hole deeper and deeper vs. admitting that he talked out of his ***.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:03 PM
mac10
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

https://www.motor1.com/news/302249/p...t3-rs-details/
Old 01-24-2019, 06:09 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

That article is not surprising. Evolutionary improvements. Also it's a while off yet with GT3 a way from launch. I think there may be some sort of surprise bigger than they know about.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:45 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 611 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Gravs
That article is not surprising. Evolutionary improvements. Also it's a while off yet with GT3 a way from launch. I think there may be some sort of surprise bigger than they know about.
Major active aero will be the special sauce for the GT3 992. The RS I am guessing like Hurley Haywood spilled the beans will be hybrid boost!!
Old 01-24-2019, 10:53 PM
smartbot
Instructor

Received 175 Likes on 62 Posts

I guess all those ADMs should be going down now... http://www.thedrive.com/news/26144/9...gearbox-report
Old 01-24-2019, 11:03 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 423 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by smartbot
I guess all those ADMs should be going down now... http://www.thedrive.com/news/26144/9...gearbox-report
Well depends, pdk ones 4sure
but do you think 992 interior exterior have something to do with retrò-look 991 interior and perfectly shaped 911 exterior?

991.2 GT3 touring* was a so called istant classic that fits perfectly the manual and has the same motorsport engine (let me stress better than the R)

not at all the 992*
Old 01-25-2019, 12:54 AM
S.White
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
I know all about Dundon; I've met Jamie more than once. Nothing against the company but I often wonder why people buying these expensive cars are so credulous.

Tell you what, I'm headed to Daytona tonight. If I see Fritz Enginzer or the aforementioned Pascal Z. over the weekend (I expect to; they usually eat dinner in the Hospitality suite vs. the team tent on Saturday night) I'll pull this thread up and encourage them to bring the Dundon "Motorsports" team in house.

I'm also prepared to walk the paddock and ask every customer Porsche GTD team why they aren't using Dundon "Motorsports" exhausts instead of the one those second rate twits in Weissach designed.
Sounds like a good plan. You might learn something about racing and class rules if you ask those questions. Looks like it could be an interesting weekend for Porsche too!

I'm poking fun at the guy because he made an astonishingly bold (and, frankly, ridiculous) claim and then just kept digging his hole deeper and deeper vs. admitting that he talked out of his ***.
While you are at the race, if you see Andreas Preuninger ask him what he meant by his astonishingly bold and ridiculous statement that he made in an Autocar interview saying that the new 4.0 engine could make more than 600hp when unrestricted.
Old 01-25-2019, 02:10 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,494 Likes on 2,274 Posts

haha, the older I get the more OEM I like
I tried a lot of stuff and I break a lot of stuff.
if it can be broke, I will break it.
any tuner doesn't agree pls send me your product, I will destroy it just daily driving it.
OEM when break, they fix for me free.
oh, and I break them. I cannot say what I broke, but they are amazed.

The sound limitations can be overcome with rev limiters and electronic valves. Same with tuning for fuel and emissions. Who said anything about a 4 year 50,000 mile warranty? The 600bhp goal posts seem to be moving now...

We've seen time and time again, 5% (or more) increases coming during each production refresh cycle from Porsche and other manufacturers without much in the way of changes in architecture or displacement. To think a 15% increase in power isn't possible with the current platform much less to think it is absurd is ignorant to what has happened throughout history and what is happening now through the advancement of computer simulation.
I really want a car with less power but more feel
catarham... (can't spell it)

Originally Posted by signes
Time to stop digging Herr White...
I am not.

THANK YOU
you always save me.
that's just one more computer too many for me.
I will decline my msrp allocation.,
you would not believe how many hours I waste configure and re-configure my wahoo bike computer on a DAILY basis.
with that Michelin track connect, it will take me 3 hours before I can back the car out the garage.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:46 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

2000cc, 245hp, 8000rpm, 600kg, manual 5sp, no pwr steer or brakes, no abs, low pad and rotor wear rate, traction control is your foot, matches 991 gt3 and rs as long as the straights are not too big and wring its neck. plenty of feel.....rs incoming just because....
[/QUOTE]

Old 01-25-2019, 11:56 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

While you are at the race, if you see Andreas Preuninger ask him what he meant by his astonishingly bold and ridiculous statement that he made in an Autocar interview saying that the new 4.0 engine could make more than 600hp when unrestricted.
He said "spinning away on the test bench". He meant with race camshaft profiles to make power over 10,000 rpm, race exhaust, race intake with 6 throttle bodies, race fuel, and with no regard to longevity (probably over 10,000 rpm - maybe just last the length of one Sunday afternoon race?). It was likely an RSR motor that probably cost more for just the motor than an entire GT3 road car and would likely have poor behavior on the street with lower revs...
Old 01-25-2019, 01:17 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,964 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
He said "spinning away on the test bench". He meant with race camshaft profiles to make power over 10,000 rpm, race exhaust, race intake with 6 throttle bodies, race fuel, and with no regard to longevity (probably over 10,000 rpm - maybe just last the length of one Sunday afternoon race?). It was likely an RSR motor that probably cost more for just the motor than an entire GT3 road car and would likely have poor behavior on the street with lower revs...
It wasn't though.. he said it was the stock engine they put 180,000km on it.
Old 01-25-2019, 01:22 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

It wasn't though.. he said it was the stock engine they put 180,000km on it.
Could you post that link, please? That is not my memory (I could certainly have misremembered). I do remember him making a bold claim about how long the stability of the valve clearances would last with the new solid lifters, but not producing in excess of 600hp for some duration like that (very hard to take seriously).

A stock motor makes 500hp (520 for RS) at only 8,250 rpm and is significantly down in power by 9,000 rpm redline. There is no way for a stock motor to make 600hp...

They could have taken a stock motor that had been used on the road for 180k km and then converted to race spec (for testing), but otherwise that statement makes no sense.

Quick Reply: GT3 Rumors