Sponsored by:

Porsche Reveals Details of 911 Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 11:44 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,143 Likes on 982 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
I’m down for electric. Especially if they can manage the fatness. In fact. Electric is more interesting to me than anything new Porsche is making the last 8 years which feel more and more like appliances. Just make the jump and be like a blender. Electric.
i have 4 others that stink and burn lots of oil to keep the eco terrorists happy.
Except that the electric 911 will have a greater carbon footprint than a 992 over its lifetime.
Old 12-29-2018, 03:10 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
True 911 enthusiasts are a dead breed.
And a true 911 enthusiast is what, exactly?

From reading this forum, it's really a term only defined by the individual uttering said nonsense. If you liked the 991, you're not a true enthusiast. Or water cooling. Or PDK. Or. Or. Or.

If you drive anything but the original 911, are you really a "true 911" enthusiast?

The " ethos of the model, don't give a fick about the heritage of the marque" is to build the best, fastest, most capable driver's car on the road. How does that change if they use electric power instead of ICE? Or is the ethos and heritage simply turning fuel into noise, heat and rotating force?

Your assertion that you're among the few "true enthusiasts" sounds more like a luddite talking, than an enthusiast.

Old 12-29-2018, 05:31 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
Except that the electric 911 will have a greater carbon footprint than a 992 over its lifetime.
<——————— couldn’t really give a crap.
Old 12-31-2018, 03:22 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
not sure how you arrived at that conclusion, particularly if you charge the car with solar energy as many Tesla owners do currently.
Old 12-31-2018, 02:27 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,143 Likes on 982 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting

not sure how you arrived at that conclusion, particularly if you charge the car with solar energy as many Tesla owners do currently.
Of course it depends on your geographic location and your charging source. Electric cars will have a smaller carbon footprint if charged from nuclear, solar or wind. But my conclusion is based on average power generation in the US by fossil fuels (~63%), plus transmission line and charging losses needed for electric cars. It's debatable for sure, but most of the studies do not take into account all types of energy losses or carbon emissions to produce the identical output.

....and I highly doubt that the average Tesla driver is charging his car with solar. No way.

And sorry to go OT, but if we were really concerned about controlling CO2 in the atmosphere, we would be heavily investing in bioengineering plants to absorb CO2. You never hear anything about that though or any of the removal mechanism available or being pursued. It's all about money, power and control. It's not about climate change.
Old 01-01-2019, 04:30 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
I dont think hybrid will add 700 lb otherwise we wouldve seen a 992.1 hybrid. They are waiting for a reason and actually cited weight as that reason. Im sure they will be able to shave 2-300 lb off this estimate which would put it somewhere close to a 992 turbo. Just my prediction albeit pure unbridled speculation.
Porsche should be able to do better. After all, the hybrid hardware adds less than 100 pounds to the weight of an F1 car. Of course, the power boosting electric motor is turning nearly 50,000 rpm, but Porsche should be moving in that direction.
Old 01-01-2019, 05:07 PM
buddalun
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by limegreen
Is there a petition anywhere that we could sign in order to alert Porsche before they get too far ahead of themselves that almost no one will buy this thing? I'd hate to see them spend all this time and money developing a car that is so anti 911 philosophy I'm left wondering why they are bothering at all.

Also, when are these 918 "get with the future" band wagon riders going to realize that car is not a top performer because of it's hybrid power train? In fact, if all that over-complicated heavy nonsense was removed from the car just try and imagine how much better it would have been.

A hybrid 918 or 911 or any sports car for that matter achieves absolutely nothing other than serving as some type of chest beating exercise for the engineers and as a moral high ground for those who think that buying an expensive luxury item car for pleasure purposes isn't somehow an extreme waste of resources already.

Old 01-01-2019, 10:13 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

The latest PCA e-Brake News has an interesting piece, with a road test, of a hybrid system mod for the 991. An additional 175 HP on demand with a system that they say adds 180 lbs.

The website is http://vonnen.com

Works now and gives a hint of what's to come.

Oh and its just $75k!
Old 01-02-2019, 10:52 AM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 355 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I can't wait for the 911 hybrid.

Said nobody. Ever.
I agree. But then again, someone actually did say this:

Originally Posted by captainkirk
They are gonna make the car heavier with hybrid...and people will complain - then make it full electric and that will be crazy light (everyone will be happy lol).
Old 01-02-2019, 06:54 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobby 911
I agree. But then again, someone actually did say this: Originally Posted by captainkirk
They are gonna make the car heavier with hybrid...and people will complain - then make it full electric and that will be crazy light (everyone will be happy lol)

Everyone WILL be happy as soon as we are given more without being forced to compromise in return. These days we are increasingly forced to give up one thing in order to receive another all while paying more for it and I'm not only sick of that but tired of those who tolerate it.

A crazy light electric car that offers an incredible, fun and involved driving experience with a range that allows for full day of track driving or hundreds of spirited driving miles without recharge? A car that can be recharged fully in a matter of 5 minutes at every major street intersection across the developed world? Sign me up! Until then, it's a waste of time, effort and money for any enthusiast who isn't interested in making some sort of " on the cutting edge" statement or worse being a beta tester for unproven, under performing, expensive and logistically challenged technology.

Quick Reply: Porsche Reveals Details of 911 Hybrid