Sponsored by:

The Porsche 992 Aftermarket Wheel Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2023, 11:32 AM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 1,897 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Originally Posted by alin2
Clean for the 10 seconds after washing and before getting covered in brake dust again...
What's it look like dirty? I'm thinking it'd look good. Haha.
The following users liked this post:
alin2 (09-04-2023)
Old 09-04-2023, 11:51 AM
tourenwagen
Three Wheelin'

Received 4,332 Likes on 1,188 Posts

Originally Posted by RXP.
Jeez Louise that is stunning. Congrats.
​​​​​​Are your wheels heavier than OEM? If so, do you feel any difference in how the car drives etc?
This is me:
I haven't weighed them but I think they're are slightly lighter than stock according to HRE. I love the 2 piece look but unless you're going carbon barrels unfortunately its pretty hard to see any significant weight loss from them.

Your car looks great. I lived in the UK for 6 years and was into the VW/Seat scene back then (MaxPower days) and had a few different sets of wheels. Has the car scene fallen off? Is insurance killing it?
Old 09-04-2023, 04:24 PM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Received 574 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by Shogunade
What's it look like dirty? I'm thinking it'd look good. Haha.
Lol.

Nothing looks good caked in red-brown brake dust...
Old 09-04-2023, 05:47 PM
RXP.
Advanced

Received 65 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by tourenwagen
I haven't weighed them but I think they're are slightly lighter than stock according to HRE. I love the 2 piece look but unless you're going carbon barrels unfortunately its pretty hard to see any significant weight loss from them.

Your car looks great. I lived in the UK for 6 years and was into the VW/Seat scene back then (MaxPower days) and had a few different sets of wheels. Has the car scene fallen off? Is insurance killing it?
The 991/992 customer base tend not to mod their cars very much. At least not as much as the BMW and VW boys. That market is thriving by comparison.

Many porsche owners of newer cars tend to prefer to keep everything OEM in line with warranty etc.

I'll keep searching.
tourenwagen (09-04-2023)
Old 09-04-2023, 06:58 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,464 Likes on 729 Posts

The 991/992 customer base tend not to mod their cars very much. At least not as much as the BMW and VW boys. That market is thriving by comparison.

Many porsche owners of newer cars tend to prefer to keep everything OEM in line with warranty etc.

I'll keep searching.
Same here....I kind of miss it that very few people in my area modify their Porsche's. My only pro of that is when I go to car shows and meets I am typically the lonly modified Porsche or other 100k+ sports cars. And then there are some Porsche folks who look down on you like "how dare you to modify that car that is perfect as is as delivered by Porsche". I am planning my next mod and probably will get some interesting comments here for doing it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tobeit:
RXP. (09-05-2023), tourenwagen (09-05-2023)
Old 09-05-2023, 09:48 AM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tobeit
Same here....I kind of miss it that very few people in my area modify their Porsche's. My only pro of that is when I go to car shows and meets I am typically the lonly modified Porsche or other 100k+ sports cars. And then there are some Porsche folks who look down on you like "how dare you to modify that car that is perfect as is as delivered by Porsche". I am planning my next mod and probably will get some interesting comments here for doing it.
Can't wait to see what you have in store. HURRY UP! Hahah
The following 2 users liked this post by Shogunade:
RXP. (09-05-2023), Tobeit (09-05-2023)
Old 09-05-2023, 05:10 PM
RXP.
Advanced

Originally Posted by Shogunade
Can't wait to see what you have in store. HURRY UP! Hahah

​​​​​​+1 looking forward to it!
Old 09-05-2023, 08:47 PM
ltdodge
Racer

Received 188 Likes on 80 Posts

question, I'm waiting for my new wheels to come in. what have you done for ceramic coating? is it worth doing it? what's the advantage and disadvantages? I have heard that after a few years removing the ceramic is a pain to reapply and with time the ceramic coating scratches. so what the overall consensus?

thanks
Old 09-05-2023, 08:50 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltdodge
question, I'm waiting for my new wheels to come in. what have you done for ceramic coating? is it worth doing it? what's the advantage and disadvantages? I have heard that after a few years removing the ceramic is a pain to reapply and with time the ceramic coating scratches. so what the overall consensus?

thanks
On my first set I had a detail shop do it prior to mounting tires.
On my second set I did it myself with torque products.
Both had same results. No scratching, easier to clean. I will reapply second set after maybe another year. It's easy to do yourself.
Old 09-05-2023, 08:55 PM
ltdodge
Racer

Received 188 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Tobeit
On my first set I had a detail shop do it prior to mounting tires.
On my second set I did it myself with torque products.
Both had same results. No scratching, easier to clean. I will reapply second set after maybe another year. It's easy to do yourself.
what brand did you buy?
Old 09-05-2023, 08:56 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

what brand did you buy?
Torque Ceramic Products or do you mean wheels? Wheels BCForged.
Old 09-05-2023, 08:57 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

thanks
Before I brought it to the dealership to get the them mounted, I coated my wheels with Gtechnic C5 Wheel Armour. The water beading when sprayed with my pressure washer is awesome. I'm also sure it made cleaning them easier. It felt like the dirt/brake dust came off with little effort and agitation. I would definitely do it again. I'm also planning on doing the calipers and the car itself when it gets cooler out.
The following 2 users liked this post by Shogunade:
alin2 (09-08-2023), tourenwagen (09-05-2023)
Old 09-08-2023, 07:34 AM
RXP.
Advanced

Is everyone lowering their cars with aftermarket wheels?

Interested to see what the stock height looks like over wheels with a more aggressive offset.
pkalhan (12-31-2023)
Old 09-08-2023, 08:01 AM
alin2
Burning Brakes

thanks
I echo @Shogunade. Applied Gtechniq C5 which is very easy to use ceramic while the tires were off. It makes the wheels look great and makes cleaning the wheels and particularly the barrels way easier. The ceramic wears off eventually so no need to remove it and it doesn't really scratch by itself and isn't really protection against chips, scratches, or God forbid, curb rash.
Old 09-08-2023, 08:02 AM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Is everyone lowering their cars with aftermarket wheels?

Interested to see what the stock height looks like over wheels with a more aggressive offset.
I have not yet lowered my GTS with SPASM with my HREs which have modestly more aggressive offset. Pics upthread.
RXP. (09-08-2023)

Quick Reply: The Porsche 992 Aftermarket Wheel Thread