Racer

Received 163 Likes on 63 Posts

Nice! Thank you.
I've been waiting all day
Old 11-28-2018, 12:45 AM
flgfish
Pro

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

I watched it on YouTube. Changed my impressions of the car somewhat (and that was only based on what I have read on here). I like the lines and a lot of what they said. I wish they would have talked about the wheel size some instead of answering that question by talking about the aerodynamics... my reaction to the interior is good too except for the center stack. Those toggle switch looking buttons, not sold on em... and the shifter, ugh.... and that dial, wtf is it for?

Overall, really looking forward to people getting their hands on these and seeing the reactions.

Last edited by flgfish; 11-28-2018 at 01:46 AM. Reason: Grammur
Old 11-28-2018, 12:49 AM
flgfish
Pro

E: double post

Last edited by flgfish; 11-28-2018 at 01:09 AM.
Old 11-28-2018, 01:02 AM
Icebreaker
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 63 Posts

A few interesting design elements came through when they showed the yellow & blue 992
1) Front and rear bumper outline was in the body color, emphasizing the black inserts more than on the current 991. Different.
2) Rear hard-back of sport seats look black instead of silver. Something else is going on there too in the shape.
3) Fenders of the blue 4S appeared to have a new wider and more animated look.
4) Did they say the sound of the "straight 6" was distinctive to the 911 experience? Presenting live is hard. Poor guy!

Interesting evolution and new tech to help drive the car at the limit. I'm glad the tradition is moving forward for new enthusiasts to dream about. Lots to like!
Old 11-28-2018, 01:04 AM
flgfish
Pro

Originally Posted by Icebreaker
A few interesting design elements came through when they showed the yellow & blue 992
1) Front and rear bumper outline was in the body color, emphasizing the black inserts more than on the current 991. Different.
2) Rear hard-back of sport seats look black instead of silver. Something else is going on there too in the shape.
3) Fenders of the blue 4S appeared to have a new wider and more animated look.
4) Did they say the sound of the "straight 6" was distinctive to the 911 experience? Presenting live is hard. Poor guy!

Interesting evolution and new tech to help drive the car at the limit. I'm glad the tradition is moving forward for new enthusiasts to dream about. Lots to like!
It seemed to me at times they were having translation problems. I kind of wish it was in German and transcribed for the rest of us.
Old 11-28-2018, 01:04 AM
jsullivan
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here's an official Porsche media video from the press release which is now up on Vimeo:

It's just 6 minutes of video and panoramic views of the car, no voice over, no marketing. And lots of glorious sound.

I'm not really sold on the 992 styling myself, but after watching this I have to admit it looks good in motion.

The rest of the PR is here:

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/prod...ing-16473.html
Old 11-28-2018, 01:07 AM
flgfish
Pro

I don’t like the toggle switch look. Maybe it will grow on me.
I wonder what that dial does? I hope it’s not like the Audi and Mercedes dial to control the infotainment screen... always hated those. That’s part of why I love the PCM in the 991 series...
I like the way the infotainment screen is worked into the dash. Much better than the stuck on screens on the dash of other manufacturers.
Still, those toggle switches and that shifter...
Old 11-28-2018, 01:38 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by jsullivan
Here's an official Porsche media video from the press release which is now up on Vimeo:

https://vimeo.com/303156545

It's just 6 minutes of video and panoramic views of the car, no voice over, no marketing. And lots of glorious sound.

I'm not really sold on the 992 styling myself, but after watching this I have to admit it looks good in motion.

The rest of the PR is here:

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/prod...ing-16473.html
Did you really just use the word glorious to describe the sound on that video?

Sounds hideous and looks even worse. I didn’t think it could look worse in motion than in the spy pics but somehow it does. That front end just looks like a mess in motion.
Old 11-28-2018, 01:42 AM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes

Did you really just use the word glorious to describe the sound on that video?

Sounds hideous and looks even worse. I didn’t think it could look worse in motion than in the spy pics but somehow it does. That front end just looks like a mess in motion.
Sounds closer to the 718. That should make current 991.2 owners happy
Old 11-28-2018, 02:56 AM
Scottykenneth
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 194 Posts

So glad now I got my 991.2 Gt3!!!
Old 11-28-2018, 03:25 AM
basic666
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

that rear end have so much awkward SPACE between the taillights and the license plates / exhaust it almost reminds me of a SUV

Old 11-28-2018, 07:11 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

Wow really on the fence based on what I have seen.
1) First I have always liked that Porsche made the 911 in a wide and narrow body style. Felt that was really unique to the brand. Having had 4 TT's, a 4S and now TTS I am a fan of the big butt but 2 body shapes is what made Porsche, Porsche.
2) Even though I am a big butt fan the back end of the 992 seems to come across stacked back there rather than hippy and curved. Looks fat instead of sultry.
3) I am driving my 1st PDK after 13 Pcars so I still like the feel of a real shifter and use it sometimes rather than the paddles. The little joystick isn't going to feel the same but instead really makes the car feel less manual.
4) I don't have issues with the front end so much and I'm sure overall looking at the car in person it's a looker. I like the light bar but again feel it belongs on AWD cars only.
5) The overall interior is a little too hard to judge with a quick drive by like the few videos I've seen. The instrument panel seems like a concession by giving us a real tach and the rest a view of what the future will look like. Instead of being happy that the tach is there it looks somewhat messy. The center consul looks conflicted with the futuristic joystick lever and the old school type toggle switches designed by committee. Ouch
6) And it's bigger. Bigger. Bigger. Why?
7) I was not planning on moving from my TTS to anything and now I will be keeping even longer. I never say never as I'm sure tweaks and adjustments will be made based on market reaction and I'm sure it will drive gloriously but for now I'm staying in my 991 Cockpit with my antiquated PCM and old school gauges.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:23 AM
Nm2far
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Like:

- Exhaust to the sides

Dislikes:

-Everything else

Sure the performance is awesome, but even more convinced than before my 18’ 991.2 GTS MT is a keeper.

Quick Reply: 992 Livestream just started if anyone cares