Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Love the 992??! Please come in and tell us why in a NON BASHING, CONSTRUCTIVE thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 04:35 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by limegreen
Similarities are one thing..... Obviously almost every car manufacture shares certain design elements when it comes to smaller items like you had mentioned, that's no problem.

Things began to go off the rails when the 991 acquired the Panamera rising center console and have continued now into the 992 with major design elements that share nothing in common with the original 911 design nor evoke any " form follows function" aspects of previous 911's.

Questions for the 992 :

Why does a car with no transmission tunnel sport this massive and wide center console?

Why does a sports car designed for driving have this massive distracting computer screen flanking yet another computer screen ?

Why are haptic buton panels present in a vehicle that should never divert the drivers eyes away from the road?

If you ask me I'd say because Panamera and I think the 2 dashboards now resemble one another more so than ever.
I thought I'd have a look here as I like the new car and I'm sure Porsche isn't going to mess it up. Don't want to read any more subjective complaints or negative reviews....... You're in the wrong thread.
Old 11-08-2018, 04:58 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by 911boy
I thought I'd have a look here as I like the new car and I'm sure Porsche isn't going to mess it up. Don't want to read any more subjective complaints or negative reviews....... You're in the wrong thread.
Seeing as though it's my thread and I'm interested in having constructive discussion and questions answered by those who do like the 992 I'll leave that decision up to me and the moderator.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:42 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

Similarities are one thing..... Obviously almost every car manufacture shares certain design elements when it comes to smaller items like you had mentioned, that's no problem.

Things began to go off the rails when the 991 acquired the Panamera rising center console and have continued now into the 992 with major design elements that share nothing in common with the original 911 design nor evoke any " form follows function" aspects of previous 911's.

Questions for the 992 :

Why does a car with no transmission tunnel sport this massive and wide center console?

Why does a sports car designed for driving have this massive distracting computer screen flanking yet another computer screen ?

Why are haptic buton panels present in a vehicle that should never divert the drivers eyes away from the road?

If you ask me I'd say because Panamera and I think the 2 dashboards now resemble one another more so than ever.
The center console in a 991 is not obtrusive. If fact, the design corrected the knee bashing edge of the 997 stubby dash console. More, it tapers from the top so that it does not affect legroom. The design takes off from the GT not the Panamera. The buttons are easier to reach than those you reach for in the 997, making it far more functional.

I don't know how I will react to the 992 center console because I haven't had a chance to try it. I happen to like the tactile feel and sensible layout of the center console in my Macan. Complaints based on whats read in magazines and on the net remind me of the derision of magazine road testers who didn't have one long enough to understand how good the design is during their test drive. Good for a laugh.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:40 PM
limegreen
Pro

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
The center console in a 991 is not obtrusive. If fact, the design corrected the knee bashing edge of the 997 stubby dash console. More, it tapers from the top so that it does not affect legroom. The design takes off from the GT not the Panamera. The buttons are easier to reach than those you reach for in the 997, making it far more functional.

I don't know how I will react to the 992 center console because I haven't had a chance to try it. I happen to like the tactile feel and sensible layout of the center console in my Macan. Complaints based on whats read in magazines and on the net remind me of the derision of magazine road testers who didn't have one long enough to understand how good the design is during their test drive. Good for a laugh.
After 20 years of owning and being around these cars I have a pretty keen ability to predict what will be good vs bad by simply reading and looking at pictures as I’m sure many others on this board are able to do.

I have seen many 911 body styles come and go and the things that I initially saw in photos or read about in articles that I either liked or disliked never really
changed after seeing , driving or owning one.

Take my 991 for instance . I read about the electric steering and didn’t like the sound of it and to this day I still don’t like it. It’s not horrible but it’s not nearly as good as the 997/997.

I read about and saw the high center console and I didn’t like the way it looked and the ergonomics seemed odd with the button placement particularly for the climate control being crammed into a crevice in front of the shifter and to this day that’s still annoying as is the claustrophobic feel of being wrapped by the high console.

Same goes for the electric parking brake and of course the engine access looked horrible in the spy and launch photos and guess what , it’s still horrible today.

Now as far as likes go , I immediately loved the exterior styling and that never changed in the flesh nor did the instrument cluster and PCM screen being low and out of immediate driver view.

So based on that I’m not pretending that suddenly seeing the 992 in person is going to cause some profound realization that I was wrong about everything and it seems foolish to presume that we are getting more than what we see in these photos and what we have read about.

I would love to be proven wrong but ....... I just can’t see that happening.

Old 11-08-2018, 09:27 PM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 120 Posts

After 20 years of owning and being around these cars I have a pretty keen ability to predict what will be good vs bad by simply reading and looking at pictures as I’m sure many others on this board are able to do.

I have seen many 911 body styles come and go and the things that I initially saw in photos or read about in articles that I either liked or disliked never really

Take my 991 for instance . I read about the electric steering and didn’t like the sound of it and to this day I still don’t like it. It’s not horrible but it’s not nearly as good as the 997/997.

I read about and saw the high center console and I didn’t like the way it looked and the ergonomics seemed odd with the button placement particularly for the climate control being crammed into a crevice in front of the shifter and to this day that’s still annoying as is the claustrophobic feel of being wrapped by the high console.

Same goes for the electric parking brake and of course the engine access looked horrible in the spy and launch photos and guess what , it’s still horrible today.

Now as far as likes go , I immediately loved the exterior styling and that never changed in the flesh nor did the instrument cluster and PCM screen being low and out of immediate driver view.

So based on that I’m not pretending that suddenly seeing the 992 in person is going to cause some profound realization that I was wrong about everything and it seems foolish to presume that we are getting more than what we see in these photos and what we have read about.

Hard to believe Porsche manages to stay afloat without getting your "keen" insight before they develop their strategic design plans.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:58 PM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 189 Posts

Do you ever sit back and reflect on how much time you've spent complaining about a car that nobody is forcing you to buy?

Personally, I think the 992 looks better than the 991 on the outside, and I'm ambivalent about the interior so far, but I've been hesitant to wade in because I can't be bothered to deal with a bunch of needling interrogation about why akshually that's the Wrong Opinion. It's like brow-beating someone because their favorite color is red instead of the obviously superior blue.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:31 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

When I saw that limegreen started a thread for those that actually like the 992, my thought was, "It's nice that a person who clearly doesn't like the 992 has started a conversation giving those that do like the car a forum their opinions". However, now that I've seen his posts on this thread, I realize that the only reason he started it was to have another outlet to whine about the direction in which Porsche has been heading this decade. Not only doesn't he like the 992, but he's described his 991 as "far from ideal". I, and I'm sure many others, think my 991 is the best car I've ever owned (beginning in 1995, I've had a 944 and eight 911s). As someone who owns both a 997 and a 991, I can't begin to tell you how much better I like the 991. So, as I mentioned in a previous post, thank you limegreen for starting this thread, but please confine your hateful comments to the bashing thread.

PS. If you want a nice 997.2 my wife's will be for sale as soon as our 992 Targa arrives. :-)
Old 11-09-2018, 01:26 AM
limegreen
Pro

Perhaps now that this is 9 pages deep you’ve all forgotten my initial post so let me remind you that I said FLAT OUT in the initial post that I didn’t like the 992 but was interested in a non bashing and constructive thread to learn about those that do.

What that meant is that I’m going to demonstste negatives as a means of engaging those to counter it without 15 posts in a row about nubbins and clam shells.

Instead of this , what I get is an absurd level of abuse for having an opinion , one which I STATED AT THE BEGINNING OF THE THREAD .

I have never once attacked someone for their opinion in this thread , perhaps I’ve challenged it here and there as a means of understanding but that’s the full extent.

Here I am being flat out told to get out OF MY OWN THREAD by a bunch of people who came into my thread knowingly to be challenged in the first place.

It’s true, I don’t absolutely love my 991 or the direction Porsche is going and stupidly was hoping the 992 would turn the corner. back into the right direction, back to basics.

Im not interested in buying older cars and dealing with their upkeep but find myself backed into a corner more and more with an industry that just seems lost and never coming home.

There are almost NO cars currently on the market that interest me and to now realize that the one car that always seemed to hold out has now too succumbed to the same pressures of what is ruining the industry is so disappointing.

Speaking of ruined , Now that this thread is ruined I might as well say that I’ve now learned all I need to about why the 992 is the way it is based on the many members who have posted here so thanks for that.

Last edited by limegreen; 11-09-2018 at 01:43 AM.
Old 11-09-2018, 02:05 AM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Drama queen much?
Old 11-09-2018, 02:14 AM
limegreen
Pro

Originally Posted by mb1
Drama queen much?
Only when forced to deal with insufferable douchebags like yourself
Old 11-09-2018, 09:21 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

Forum killer.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:25 AM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

At 64 years old, there are a lot of things I've forgotten over the years, but one of the things I remember vividly was my first Porsche sighting. It was in the parking lot at a Boy Scout camp, so it was probably around 1965 or 66. The car was a blue 356 with a luggage rack on the rear. At that point I was an 11 or 12 year old American muscle car fan, but that Porsche changed my outlook on cars forever. I was smitten. A few years later I learned to drive a manual transmission in my friend's VW Beetle, and when it came time for me to buy my first used car it was a $350 1964 Karmann Ghia. I couldn't afford a Porsche, but I was on the right track. As an adult, I was lucky enough to be able to purchase by first P car, a brand new red 1985 1/2 944. From there I graduated into a succession of 911s, and I've loved every one of them. While they've obviously changed over the years, they're still 911s. While I drool over the 356s and early 911s at car shows and museums, I really like driving my bigger, safer, faster, more comfortable new car. I'm happy with the direction Porsche is heading, and I'm looking forward to seeing and driving the 992.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:20 AM
mb1
Rennlist Member

About 5-6 years ago, I brought my 997 to the dealership for minor service. They had a 991 loaner ready for me outside. The service guy said "this will be the most expensive service visit you'll ever have". I was confused, because it was a relatively minor repair. He followed up, saying "because once you drive the 991, you'll never be satisfied with your current ride until you buy a 991". He was completely accurate. I was blown away by how much better the 991 was (for me) than my 997. I fully expect the 992 to be a significantly better overall driving experience than my 991. Maybe I'll pass on a 992 loaner this time if they offer it to me...
Old 11-09-2018, 02:10 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Seeing as though it's my thread and I'm interested in having constructive discussion and questions answered by those who do like the 992 I'll leave that decision up to me and the moderator.
MY thread.....oh man. Too funny.
Old 11-09-2018, 02:11 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Only when forced to deal with insufferable douchebags like yourself
Thats really nice and not really constructive.. Unbelievable.

Last edited by 911boy; 11-09-2018 at 03:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Love the 992??! Please come in and tell us why in a NON BASHING, CONSTRUCTIVE thread