Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Love the 992??! Please come in and tell us why in a NON BASHING, CONSTRUCTIVE thread

Old 10-30-2018, 07:03 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

I couldn't have said it better myself. It's all so disappointing and made worse by being labeled as " anachronistic " and "out of touch " when really all we are demanding is the retention of the qualities that make owning a high end sports car a pleasurable experience. I don't want a luxury car, I don't want a home office , I , like most don't need this car for daily use, it's just a toy. I just want a well made sports car and it's being threatened by those who have no clue what that means or what it used to mean for the 911. I'm not opposed to changes or keeping with the times but Porsche used to have a clever way of doing that without being so blatant about it.

I started this thread genuinely hoping to gain insight into what 992 buyers where looking for. I want to understand what the draw is to this new model and how these changes are being seen as an improvement over the 991. What I find interesting is that instead of that I'm finding many comments include just as many gripes and they do compliments. Does that mean when pressed it's difficult to find THAT much to be excited about or is it something else?
Old 10-30-2018, 07:16 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,170 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by limegreen
I couldn't have said it better myself. It's all so disappointing and made worse by being labeled as " anachronistic " and "out of touch " when really all we are demanding is the retention of the qualities that make owning a high end sports car a pleasurable experience. I don't want a luxury car, I don't want a home office , I , like most don't need this car for daily use, it's just a toy. I just want a well made sports car and it's being threatened by those who have no clue what that means or what it used to mean for the 911. I'm not opposed to changes or keeping with the times but Porsche used to have a clever way of doing that without being so blatant about it.

I started this thread genuinely hoping to gain insight into what 992 buyers where looking for. I want to understand what the draw is to this new model and how these changes are being seen as an improvement over the 991. What I find interesting is that instead of that I'm finding many comments include just as many gripes and they do compliments. Does that mean when pressed it's difficult to find THAT much to be excited about or is it something else?
Most on here at this point love the 991. Other than what I consider to be a big step up in looks, how do you think 991 fans would have answered this question about that car when all they had was the 997 and no concrete details or images of the 991? My guess is that prior to the actual release details there weren't specific things (other than looks) that people could point to about the 991 that they were super excited about right? But here we are, with most people, including the "purists" agreeing that the 991 is a better car than the 997. the reality is that the 991 got bigger, faster and more luxurious over the 997 and its been a super loveable generation of the 911. My guess is that the 992 follows a similar path, by the end its a bigger faster and more luxurious 911 that for some reason we like more than the prior generation.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:42 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts
Default porsche sales 2018

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
The 718 sure as heck didn't outsell the previous generation. Not in the US, at any rate.
Porsche seems to have other ideas about sales.

<https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/porsche-reports-september-2018-u-s-sales-1027584373>

I had a 718 Boxster S (PDK) as a loaner earlier this year. It is as fast as my 991 C2S at all speeds that matter. I didn't object to the sound of the exhaust at all, even though it would be no contest with my old Boxster S RS-60 or the PSE I have now. I think that it is a great sports car even tho in my old age I prefer the dual sports/GT nature of the 991 that has been baked into every 911 since day one, and am reserving judgement about the 992 until I drive one.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:29 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

limegreen,

You started this thread to invite comments from those that happen to like what we've seen of and heard about the 992, but you insist upon giving us all of the reasons we shouldn't like the 992. We get it. You hate the 992 and the general direction in which Porsche is heading. Heck, you even stated somewhere that your 991 is far from ideal. I, and I'm sure many others, think my 991 IS ideal. For me, the 992 appears to improve on the 991 and make it an even more ideal car (if there is such a concept).

Thanks for starting this thread, but if it's truly for those that aren't into bashing this car, then take your comments to the "I hate the 992" thread.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:41 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by limegreen

It's that the 992 just isn't that different from the 991. The 911 made significant changes in 1998/1999 and in 2012/2013. Glad you weren't near any high ledges back then. This evolution of the 991 just doesn't change "the qualities that make owning a high end sports car a pleasurable experience" or "what that means or what it used to mean for the 911".
Old 10-31-2018, 04:04 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Porsche seems to have other ideas about sales.

<https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/porsche-reports-september-2018-u-s-sales-1027584373>
I'm missing the part where this is responsive to what I said. Help me out?
Old 10-31-2018, 07:21 AM
S S
Burning Brakes

Received 887 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by tgcrun
You started this thread to invite comments...
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Glad you weren't near any high ledges back then...
Dude is a lost cause, Gents. Some folks just have to have something to hate...

I'm missing the part where this is responsive to what I said. Help me out?
Believe it is here:Model
September Sales
Year-to-Date
ALL 911
ALL 718
September sales may be down, but YTD is up more than 435 units a this point... (Apologies for the format, but my cut/paste kung fu is weak on this one!)

Separately, did you see the Spy Shot posted here of the All Black from an Instagram thread? That thing looks great and definitely hides some of the woes on the amount of plastic. Not a Black Car fan, but I have to say that is looking killer...

S

Last edited by S S; 10-31-2018 at 08:19 AM.
Old 10-31-2018, 07:50 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Year over year sales of the 718 are up, not down- and the year is not yet over. Those numbers- and my one driving experience- suggest to me that Porsche has done nothing to hurt the interest of performance minded sports car buyers with higher HP and torquey 4 cyl engines in the Boxster.
Old 10-31-2018, 11:26 AM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 216 Posts

Year over year sales of the 718 are up, not down- and the year is not yet over. Those numbers- and my one driving experience- suggest to me that Porsche has done nothing to hurt the interest of performance minded sports car buyers with higher HP and torquey 4 cyl engines in the Boxster.
I think a lot of the present sales of the 718 are due to the looks and not the engine,....the new styling definitely gave them a boost considering (IMO) the past generation looked a bit dodgy to me. I also see (and know) a lot of new 718 drivers that have never owned a Porsche before,....and as I said many of them don't have a clue what engine was in them before and don't care. Not saying the 718 is not better compared to the previous generation, the majority of the 718 drivers just know they have a great looking/handling/fast sports car from Porsche,....even if it does sound pretty much like a garbage disposal at most speeds. They don't have a point of reference to compare it to.
Old 10-31-2018, 05:13 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
I think a lot of the present sales of the 718 are due to the looks and not the engine,....the new styling definitely gave them a boost considering (IMO) the past generation looked a bit dodgy to me. I also see (and know) a lot of new 718 drivers that have never owned a Porsche before,....and as I said many of them don't have a clue what engine was in them before and don't care. Not saying the 718 is not better compared to the previous generation, the majority of the 718 drivers just know they have a great looking/handling/fast sports car from Porsche,....even if it does sound pretty much like a garbage disposal at most speeds. They don't have a point of reference to compare it to.
Actually my garbage disposal sounds pretty good once the big bits are disposed. Maybe 718 drivers need to get past all the torque and get the revs up.
Old 11-01-2018, 12:11 AM
BlackCubic
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 718 sure as heck didn't outsell the previous generation. Not in the US, at any rate.
A friendly reminder that the US isn't the entire universe. In fact, a lot of Asian countries tax their cars based on the displacement. The 718 make sense to downsize its engine. The lowered pricing has helped a lot of people in Asia to get into their first Porsche sports car. IMO, the 718 is an improvement.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:45 AM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

I really would like to get back on track with the spirit of this thread but I have to say one thing regarding the 718 because I believe it is relevant to the legitimate concerns with the 992's direction.... The only thing the Porsche has proven with the 718 is that they can get away with complete absurdity. I'm sorry but that engine is absurd for many reasons.

For those who dislike my views at least know that I seriously considered giving a 718 a shot but after a lengthy test drive came away with the feeling that I was being cheated by Porsche if I purchased that thing because in the end I was being sold far less under the guise of it being much more and that's what I fear is happening with the 992.

IF there is indeed a 10-15k price hike what exactly can you point at in the 992 and say "ah ha! , so that's why it's more expensive" ? * Keep in mind electronics are dirt cheap to manufacture compared to a new chassis, engine , transmission etc.
Old 11-01-2018, 11:13 AM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

I like the fact that the 992 will make all the past 911s appreciate in value. :>)
Old 11-01-2018, 02:25 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,170 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by HenryPcar
I like the fact that the 992 will make all the past 911s appreciate in value. :>)
Not sure if you are serious but quite the opposite will happen. strangely enough I could see the 996 values starting to climb. It was an excellent drivers car that will offer a relatively stark contrast to the 992 and values have been low.
Old 11-01-2018, 03:09 PM
coolhandshin
Instructor

Received 84 Likes on 33 Posts

what is there not to like?

new exterior, new interior, better engine, better chasis, better electronics.

even the new gear shifter will look cool enough once it becomes the new trend.

new is always good in cars.

can't wait. deposit put down 6 months ago for the reservation slot.

you haters are just jealous because yours is getting old. that's all.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Love the 992??! Please come in and tell us why in a NON BASHING, CONSTRUCTIVE thread