Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Love the 992??! Please come in and tell us why in a NON BASHING, CONSTRUCTIVE thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 03:30 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

IMO, and this is having seen and touched the car in person months ago, once revealed most will agree that the 992 is nice design evolution from the 991. Just as the 1969-1973 long hoods evolved from the early SWB cars, the 1978-1989 G-models from the early big-bumper cars, the 993 from the 964, and the 997 from the 996.
Old 10-25-2018, 04:44 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
IMO, and this is having seen and touched the car in person months ago, once revealed most will agree that the 992 is nice design evolution from the 991. Just as the 1969-1973 long hoods evolved from the early SWB cars, the 1978-1989 G-models from the early big-bumper cars, the 993 from the 964, and the 997 from the 996.
Even the interior?

Curious as to the level of fit and finish of the car you were allowed to see. Was it like the ones shown in the recent drives of the prototypes with the camo removed? Or was it more of a finished product?

Old 10-25-2018, 05:07 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

It was the finished product. I do not know what options the car had, but the interior fit and finish did not leave an impression either way...it was consistent with current VW Group products.
Old 10-25-2018, 07:44 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

I think that the 992 base interior could be better for me. Here’s why:

One thing that bothers me on the 991 is that the standard interior looks like things have been left out, like the blanking plates on my dad’s ‘57 Chevy. The 991 standard interior has bright work on the dash, but the door panels show an outline where you would have bright work if only you had paid another 4K. Also, the bright work trim around the air vents make no style sense. For me, they beg for 1.8k to have them surrounded in leather or painted. So to make me satisfied with the interior, I need to pay over 6K just for leather options. Well, on my current car I decided to build the car to my performance needs so those options were left out. These are niggling things I see when driving the car. Probably for most people it isn’t an issue, but it has been bothering me to a point where I removed the dash bright work and replaced it with OEM leather covered parts. It looks a lot better to me, but still, on a 100k+ car you shouldn’t need to do this.

The MT C2 is a perfect choice for my driving ability. I also lease as Inline to change out cars regularly. On a leased C2, $112K is the max before you start paying in full for each additional option over the term of the lease. For example, on a 36 month lease, for every additional $3600 in options I pay $100/month (for somebody else’s future enjoyment). So the point is that for those wanting to adhere to a budget, interior options can eat up your budget just to make the interior looking like stuff hasn’t been left out. I’d rather use that money for performance, paint, and stereo.

So, I hope that the 992 interior is better in that regard. A basic interior is fine for me if it doesn’t have noticeable subtractions like the current standard door panels. So far, that looks like the direction.

I hope that my ramblings made sense.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:30 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,141 Likes on 981 Posts

This is easy.....let me count the ways.

Here is what I love about the new car (and for context, I own a 991.2 C4 and a 981 BS).

1. Love the new hood design. It's a nod to the older 911s and just looks aggressive and hot.
2. Love the fender flares. Reminds me a bit of the 930.
3. I love that all of the models are now (at least rumored to be) wide bodies and have the light bar.
4. I like the interior and the electronics.
5. It WILL be faster.

Most importantly, it is a Porsche and will be better in every respect than the outgoing 911.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:42 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

Here are my reasons:

It still looks like a 911.
I love the new, longer hood along with it's creases.
It's faster.
Both of my 911s are of the C4S variety, so I like the wide rear and light bar.
I like that the rear license plate is placed lower, giving the bumper a cleaner line.
The placement of the info screen is much better than my 911.2.
I love 911s, and I like driving a new car every few years, so regardless of what anyone else thinks, I'm buying one.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:48 PM
Porsches
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs down

My take....(I’m still new here so many don’t know me so just trying to share as much as I can when time permits). Here is what I know I like about the 992. I am not a fan of the tail lights, and the gauges, and the dash and the shifter. But, I very much like the fact that most of the iconic cars I love today were actually cars that in photos, or the first few years it saw them, I did Not like at all. Those are actually the cars that today - after even decades, I appreciate for many reasons. Things that look smoking hot are fun but usually look like @#$% after a few years. And the things that are just nice or not quite right, look great as they age.

So, here’s to the 992. I don’t like you now, but I’m in line anyhow.
Old 10-27-2018, 05:32 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsches
My take....(I’m still new here so many don’t know me so just trying to share as much as I can when time permits). Here is what I know I like about the 992. I am not a fan of the tail lights, and the gauges, and the dash and the shifter. But, I very much like the fact that most of the iconic cars I love today were actually cars that in photos, or the first few years it saw them, I did Not like at all. Those are actually the cars that today - after even decades, I appreciate for many reasons. Things that look smoking hot are fun but usually look like @#$% after a few years. And the things that are just nice or not quite right, look great as they age.

So, here’s to the 992. I don’t like you now, but I’m in line anyhow.

I get what your saying but what's changed for me this time around is that the 992 is the first 911 that I immediately disliked almost completely right off the bat where as the others just took some time to love.

Every air cooled successor I loved more than the last in almost every way including the 964 as each represented a logical and purposeful refresh loaded with real improvements.

The 996 was an incredible re design despite its controversy and the car represented a completely logical replacement to the 993. It was still small in size , very purposeful and made incredible improvements in performance and was a blast to drive.

The 997 was complete love at first sight and I had absolutely NOTHING to complain about , everything was perfect on that car.

The 991 was a car that I loved immediately exterior wise, aside from the sentence written across the back (" Porsche 911 Carrera 4S " ... etc) . The interior only disappointed me with the Panamera rising console with oddly placed buttons and crevice mounted climate controls and electric parking brake. Those are things that I don't love to this day but the interior really causes no offences worth not buying the car over.

This 992 I worry is heading in the direction of the electronics industry where everything has been done and played out and they are out of good ideas. All that's left now is change for the sake of change and adding silly gimmicks to motivate sales just like the last few versions of my I phone.

Old 10-27-2018, 05:53 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

I'm going to assume STG's position in this thread with the occasional, and appropriate pics.

Old 10-27-2018, 08:27 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 425 Posts

I like that the 8 speed pdk will be able to handle big torque. Like panamera hybrid levels of torque.
i like that it has a real cupholder from a functional standpoint (not sure how it would affect manual operation).
I like that they ponied up the carrera S. No more paper racing.
I like that the navi is bigger and it has heads up display (although i have no problem with my .2).
I like that it will have stiffer chassis architecture. I bet the chassis and ride will be more refined and versatile (which blows my mind because its amazing already).

I wont post my dislikes here but they are winning by at least an order of magnitude. Even the positives above can be problematic for other reasons
Old 10-29-2018, 06:23 AM
DKST
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
I like that the navi is bigger and it has heads up display.
According to a person within PAG there will be no HUD option for the 992
Old 10-29-2018, 11:03 PM
BlackCubic
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am positively looking forward to all new Porsches. Porsche have a proven track record with their evolutionary history. Despite people hate it at launch. All recent Porsche sells better than the previous generation.

Whether it is a 911 or not. Compare to the previous gen. I like the new Cayenne and Panamera, I like the Facelifted Macan and even the controversy 718.

For sure the 992 will be faster, has better tech and improved infotainment system. Style-wise, I like the new tail on the new Cayenne, and I think the 992 will be just as good in real person. I also welcome the new pointier front bumper (like the 718 sports design), side marker and the finally standard LED highlight.

All the bashing will be gone as soon as the new model is rolling out. People will be begging Porsche to take their money for PTS / GT models all over again....
Old 10-30-2018, 12:56 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

The 718 sure as heck didn't outsell the previous generation. Not in the US, at any rate.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:03 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
The 718 sure as heck didn't outsell the previous generation. Not in the US, at any rate.
Sport cars are dying a slow death from self inflicted wounds. Porsche made a huge mistake when when they replacing the flat 6 with the 4 banger turbo. They missed the point with that car and despite its better performance I think they realize that there is MUCH more to the formula for a sports car buyer.

Old 10-30-2018, 03:57 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by limegreen
Sport cars are dying a slow death from self inflicted wounds. Porsche made a huge mistake when when they replacing the flat 6 with the 4 banger turbo. They missed the point with that car and despite its better performance I think they realize that there is MUCH more to the formula for a sports car buyer.
.....and every time Porsche is made to do something,....whether it be for emissions, a limit on displacement, etc.,....some things are always lost in the transition. Yes, the replacement cars often produce better "numbers" in most areas, but always leave some things behind that were very dear to previous generations. Think 993 to 996, 991.1 to 991.2, even 944 Turbo S to 944 S2 & 968, and some others.

The bulk of new buyers to the Porsche brand (those even still looking at the sports cars) have never experienced some of the previous generations unique characteristics nor do they really care about them. All that matters is that the new car seems to be faster compared to the out-going model so it must be "better",.....it doesn't seem to matter that a 718 turbo motor really sounds horrible and has lag compared to the last flat six,....it's a few ticks faster so of course it's better. Just compare a top down drive in a 718 Boxter to that of the previous flat six GTS,....in reality there is no comparison, I can't see how someone would even want to listen to the turbo 4 for long. Porsche would still be using a flat-six today with way better sales if not for the changes that so called "had" to be made.

Will the 992 produce better numbers all the way around,....definitely!, but IMO this will be one of those generations that leaves a lot behind (shifter, analog gauges, connected exhausts, 911 original design characteristics, actual exhaust/intake sounds over fake, quality over cost cutting). I'm sure it will sell, and sell well in the beginning. There are new generations coming up that grew up on smaller turbo motors, hybrids, latest tech = kwel, and on,.....many will not even have a clue or care about previous generations of sports car characteristics,....it just will not, does not register. It will keep going until the full electric version of the 911 is announced and then pretty much all but the speed aspect will be gone, and by then it really won't matter as I'm not sure many sports cars will remain,....and the average Toyota will be just as fast as a 911. All the soul that made a sports car a magnet to me (especially a 911), is just slowly being winnowed away. Times change,....what once appealed to many, will change in the future....

Quick Reply: Love the 992??! Please come in and tell us why in a NON BASHING, CONSTRUCTIVE thread