Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hate the 992??! OFFICIAL VENTING THREAD # Ultimate bashing allowed. Step in the ring.

Old 11-28-2018, 10:22 AM
ABusLux
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
Ok....I'm a huge 992 fan but now looking at this side picture, I agree the front looks a little weird. It's huge and weird. It's like looking at a giant mole on someone's face and you just cant look away, you just keep staring at it wondering WTF? I'll chalk it up to the "camera angle".
It’s a bit Mursi tribe style.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:55 AM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Digital applications: “Road Trip”, “360+” and “Impact”

Porsche Road Trip” supports car enthusiasts in planning, organising and navigating special trips. The curated routes it offers include exclusive hotel and restaurant recommendations as well as points of interest and viewpoints along the route.

Porsche 360+” has the goal of allowing the customer to enjoy the Porsche experience even while away from the vehicle; the heart of “Porsche 360+” is a personal lifestyle assistant that is available to customers around the clock. The assistant is intended to make everyday life easier and exclusive experiences possible.

Porsche Impact” is an emissions calculator. It calculates the financial contributions that Porsche customers can pay to offset their CO2 footprint. They themselves can choose the internationally certified climate projects in which to invest. The projects available are spread out all over the world and focus on wind, hydro and solar power, as well as forest protection.

What a fu#k!ng disaster.......
Old 11-28-2018, 11:00 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

^^ I agree ..

Yeah, that 360+ 24hr concierge or butler service they were talking about. $100 a month? Anything on demand just a call away. Need table to hottest restaurant, need Tinder hookup?? What the heck is this thing named again??

Porsche talked more about all the great cars of the past and sold the 992 like a Yeezy runway show. You'd think they were unveiling a new iPhone. They're a lifestyle and consumer brand now. Same sales strategy as a Birkin bag.

Oh yeah, WET MODE !!!

They've lost the vision and venturing into new territory. Good luck.
Old 11-28-2018, 11:02 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 135 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Dot23RS

That straight six! Wtf! Do you even know who makes Porsche?
WTF was that guy doing there?? Obviously knows little about Porsche and doesn't even own one. A little embarrassing IMO.
Old 11-28-2018, 11:02 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

I will say the exterior is growing on me. Need to see the interior in person but initiallly not a fan.
Old 11-28-2018, 11:05 AM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
^^ I agree ..

Yeah, that 360+ 24hr concierge or butler service they were talking about. $100 a month? Anything on demand just a call away. Need table to hottest restaurant, need Tinder hookup?? What the heck is this thing named again??

Porsche talked more about all the great cars of the past and sold the 992 like a Yeezy runway show. You'd think they were unveiling a new iPhone. They're a lifestyle and consumer brand now. Same sales strategy as a Birkin bag.

Oh yeah, WET MODE !!!

They've lost the vision and venturing into new territory. Good luck.
I sure could use a "wet mode" myself because I just p!ssed my pants laughing at how absolutely ridiculous this all is.

I really would love to meet the people that think these above features are anything but a complete joke.
Old 11-28-2018, 11:37 AM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Had to sleep after seeing the 992 launch.... it's not a bad design, but IMO it really is trying to pull in new customers/target a different audience and force the enthusiasts to adopt the future or get left behind as well. The interior and tech just clash with the analog drivers car ethos of the 911 to me. I guess PAG thought that they'll make more money making the 911 seem very futuristic and loaded with tech, rather than looking at the hype and demand for restomods/Singer etc along the analog lines as all other cars are already trudging forward towards futuristic designs. Wish they left the 911 alone to be its own design, and they can do the tech/future stuff with the other model lines like they already have been doing

I still plan on replacing my 991.2 C4 with a 992.1 C4S (or C4) at some point, but now I look at it as I'll have my 991.2 GT3 sportscar and a 992.1 luxury 2 door Panamera for a commuter. I'm sure the 992 will drive like a 911. But with the 992 design, I just don't feel it, feels like it belongs in the city commuting or we activate flying mode then it turns into an autonomous drone, rather than in the canyons or on the track for whatever reason (as capable as it will be on both)

I don't mind the rear end as it seems like a 991.3 evolution from the 991.2, but my God what are they thinking with the third brake light. It looks like a glow stick toy that a 10 year old kid left on top of the car. Nubbin, why!!!!! I almost would prefer a Benz column stalk/shifter to just not see the thing, rather than that nubbin. I use the PDK **** to shift from time to time and looks like that option has been removed. Hood should be flush with the side fenders and not extend into the front bumper. New Chrono clock doesn't look as good. And we have the haptic Panamera style center console, why couldn't we keep the buttons or get nice toggles like we have above the AC vents now. So we have nice buttons up top, and then a flat touch based center console that will be a finger print magnet, just clashes to me.

Now I'm curious to see over time whether the 992 becomes like the 996 and PAG backtracks or does some design adjustments moving forward for either the 992.2 or gen after that ala 997 (994.1?), or the 992.1 is a smash hit and it's just going to get even more futuristic and tech laden after that..

992 feels very futuristic and Panamera like, whether we RLers like it or not!
Old 11-28-2018, 11:51 AM
Ikone
Burning Brakes

Received 577 Likes on 271 Posts

Agree with you sampellegrino. I would have rather seen the 911 have it's own look than looking like a Cayenne from the rear, or Macan. I get trying to have a 'look' for the entire fleet, but the 911 is still the only car in the lineup that doesn't have a name, just a number. There's a reason for that. I'm still hoping one day Porsche will start making the 904.

Anyway, I won't hate on the 992, but there are a few things that really bother me. Mostly in the back. One is the light bar. I hope that will be an option down the road, or deleted all together. The other is the hump-like look from the rear windshield down to the bumper. I'm pretty sure the angle is the same as the 991.2, but there's something going on that makes it look strange and bulky. Just not appealing. The other thing is the 3D Porsche lettering. Nightmare to clean and just looks tacky in my opinion. Lastly, the only grip I have on the interior is the tach. I know it's analog, but it looks digital. I wish they kept the old one. Looks much classier. Oh, I should add the seats. Not a fan of the bulkier looking (almost Audi) seats. I like the slim minimalist sport plus.
Old 11-28-2018, 01:43 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,064 Likes on 1,161 Posts

In the debut video, the VP of Porsche Design Michael Mauer is quoted as saying . . . "What we did basically is just clean the surfaces and straighten the lines."

"The 930 Turbo is really the car that inspired us."

"That was really the car that we had all the time with us in the studio."
Old 11-28-2018, 01:44 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 178 Posts

First impression: Appears that they've botched the new LED headlights, including the driving lights. Wonder if there are other options. Label looks tacky too.

What happened to the cool 918 style headlights? Maybe those are an option?

Along with the rest of the car they'll hopefully look better in person. The black ones on the yellow example look better.

Edit: The Black LEDs on this yellow car may be the standard LEDs, similar to 918. They look superior in pictures versus the optional matrix LEDs.
Attached Images    

Last edited by bluehorseshoe; 11-28-2018 at 02:05 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 01:50 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by limegreen
Digital applications: “Road Trip”, “360+” and “Impact”

Porsche Road Trip” supports car enthusiasts in planning, organising and navigating special trips. The curated routes it offers include exclusive hotel and restaurant recommendations as well as points of interest and viewpoints along the route.

Porsche 360+” has the goal of allowing the customer to enjoy the Porsche experience even while away from the vehicle; the heart of “Porsche 360+” is a personal lifestyle assistant that is available to customers around the clock. The assistant is intended to make everyday life easier and exclusive experiences possible.

Porsche Impact” is an emissions calculator. It calculates the financial contributions that Porsche customers can pay to offset their CO2 footprint. They themselves can choose the internationally certified climate projects in which to invest. The projects available are spread out all over the world and focus on wind, hydro and solar power, as well as forest protection.

What a fu#k!ng disaster.......
Agreed,....if I wanted something "fancy" that I have to drive around with my pinkie finger extended,....it would be totally something else.
Wish they would put forth this sort of effort and monies toward making it better looking and more geared toward actual driving.

If this is what most people are expecting from a 911,....the icon is indeed fading and will be on life support soon....
Old 11-28-2018, 01:50 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by Diablo Dude
In the debut video, the VP of Porsche Design Michael Mauer is quoted as saying . . . "What we did basically is just clean the surfaces and straighten the lines."

"The 930 Turbo is really the car that inspired us."

"That was really the car that we had all the time with us in the studio."

Yeah, I heard the same when he was talking.

I think it was a bad approach and misguided rationale. Not to mention, what inspiration did they even take?? Wide fenders and dashboard??

Name:  photo192.jpg
Views: 1088
Size:  269.5 KB

Name:  photo92.jpg
Views: 1082
Size:  278.4 KB

Name:  photo348.jpg
Views: 1093
Size:  202.3 KB
Old 11-28-2018, 01:52 PM
Ikone
Burning Brakes

The only thing I see is the hood and the rear reflector bar turned into a light bar. Except they took that feature and moved it way too high on the rear.
Old 11-28-2018, 01:56 PM
STG
Race Director

What inspiration did the nubbin and third brake light come from??
Old 11-28-2018, 01:59 PM
Ikone
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by STG
What inspiration did the nubbin and third brake light come from??
LOL

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hate the 992??! OFFICIAL VENTING THREAD # Ultimate bashing allowed. Step in the ring.