Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hate the 992??! OFFICIAL VENTING THREAD # Ultimate bashing allowed. Step in the ring.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 09:59 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Name:  photo794.jpg
Views: 2812
Size:  195.0 KB

Name:  photo613.jpg
Views: 2770
Size:  29.5 KB
Old 11-06-2018, 10:11 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
What the hell did they do to the front end of the Cayenne?? Looks like could be Tesla.

Attachment 1295225

Attachment 1295226

It also looks like it could be the face of a Ninja Turtle

Last edited by limegreen; 11-07-2018 at 09:45 AM.
Old 11-07-2018, 01:35 AM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator

The extra 1.5 mpgs achieved by removing the car's soul didn't excite you in the pants region?
2.7RS > Subaru WRX

Who'da thought
Old 11-07-2018, 10:04 AM
limegreen
Pro

Originally Posted by Cautery

So that means everytime you see a 911 all weel drive, you will think about Lincoln?

The point is other brands maybe have copied something Porsche was already used to do since ages, but if the market is going to the way “rear lights side-to-side” is not a Porsche fault! But please, don’t say that when you see a Lincoln, you think about a “992”, because that’s not true!

I wish I could tell you otherwise but the best part about this whole stupid cyclops fashion wave is that the supposed retro throwback to the air cooled cars isn't even accurate because the center portion was simply an unlit reflector. That made it a far less dramatic statement and more so at night. I always thought the purpose of taillights were to identify the rear corners of a vehicle at night but now it has become the easiest way for lazy designers to make bold statements without doing any actual design work. Pretty much the entire theme of the 992 if you ask me.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:41 AM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes

Could Porsche’s new headlight design be any more Japanese anime?

Porsche really is turning into a German incarnation of Lexus.
Yes, that is exactly what it looks like,....and heading for. I guess that is what the "general" public wants,....in China that is. I always hoped that Porsche would never be a sellout and keep original styling queues that would appeal to all markets (originality?) After all, does everyone want a Porsche that looks like it was designed in/for their own country? I certainly don't want a 911 that looks like it was designed for the US (yuck!). Do the Chinese what a Cayenne that looks like it was designed in an Asian design studio? I just don't understand the logic here. IMO I would think they would want something that truly stands out compared to all the other makes in the country.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:34 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 724 Posts

If I go for a 992, the 80's neon light in the back will get some tinting or painting. Especially with that teeth gap in the middle. I'm sure Porsche will be glad to delete it for the proper fee.
Even more worrisome is if they start changing how the car drives on top of how it looks, to pander to their larger market.
Old 11-08-2018, 05:16 PM
Grantsfo
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 83 Posts

....I like it!

Old 11-10-2018, 01:32 AM
limegreen
Pro

Originally Posted by Grantsfo

....I like it!

Speaking of Batman , I do now see a close resemblance between the 992 dashboard and the one from the Batmobile in Batman Forever .

Last edited by limegreen; 11-10-2018 at 01:51 AM.
Old 11-10-2018, 04:34 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,143 Likes on 982 Posts

I like the 992. Comparing it to the bat mobile is a compliment. Batman had a pretty bad *** car.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:02 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

There is more love for the 992 here than the "LOVE the 992" thread

This thread was meant as a joke to get the negative comments and distractions out of the SPY SHOT thread. Yeah, we've picked apart the design and offered some valid points. It's a critique. No personal attacks against anyone or trolling.

In the big scope of things, the car will very likely look fine and will sell and make money for Porsche.

Porsche is getting bigger and is changing who they are for better or worse. You decide. No right or wrong answer here.

Good thing being a consumer is having the choice where to spend your money. Very simple. The only thing I'd consider in the future is a GT3. I'd never buy a Carrera again. Not looking for a daily driver, and want something more raw for a sports car. That's me. Opinions and tastes vary of course.

Last edited by STG; 11-11-2018 at 05:30 PM.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:06 AM
Karl_W944
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
There is more love for the 992 here than the "LOVE the 992" thread

This thread was meant as a joke to get the negative comments and distractions out of the SPY SHOT thread. Yeah, we've picked apart the design and offered some valid points. It's a critique. No personal attacks against anyone or trolling.

In the big scope of things, the car will very likely look fine and will sell and make money for Porsche.

Porsche is getting bigger and is changing who they are for better or worse. You decide. No right or wrong answer here.

Good thing being a consumer is having the choice where to spend your money. Very simple. The only thing I'd consider in the future is a GT3. I'd never buy a Carrera again. Not looking for a daily driver, and want something more raw for a sports car. That's me. Opinions and tastes vary of course.
I haven't posted in a non-transaxle thread in years now, this seems like a good time.

You're absolutely right that the car is gonna sell as well or even better than the 991. Porsche has been changing as much as every brand has to pander to/draw in more buyers since at least the late 70s/early 80s.

As a consumer myself, my only choice is whether to spend my money on a diecast version when it comes out or not because I'm starting to think 911s are a bit too expensive, or rather have been too expensive for a while now....I always think back to how my dad bought his '74 911 BRAND NEW back in 1975 pretty close to the same age I am now (27 vs 23 respectively). I can say with certainty that unless I hit the lottery jackpot, a brand new 911 probably isn't in the cards for me or many others my age under normal circumstances haha. That said, I'm content having owned more Porsches than most my age, one of them being a Turbo (944 and 931), but that also got me thinking about when people say they want the raw experience from a 911.

Wouldn't/Shouldn't the rawest experience for a 911 come from the cheapest one? Ignoring the Carrera T, GT cars, and the people that say "buy an older 911". In my mind the rawest 911 would be the base model sans any "performance upgrades". No PCCB, Sport Chrono, Power Steering Plus, Rear Wheel Steering, or any of that extra fluff. Less electrical/computerized add-ons puts more control in in the driver's hands. The less tech, the rawer the car. To be fair, we are asking computers to be more like typewriters. I could ramble on and on, but I'm busy configuring 911s that cost as much as houses in even the lowest trims and thinking to myself "this is silly". I was theoretically in the market, a base Carrera with little in way of luxury like the one I've made here would be my perfect "raw" daily driver 911.

Now, if by fate I come into enough money to make this a reality by the time I turn 27, who knows! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 11-12-2018, 10:12 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Originally Posted by Karl_W944
I haven't posted in a non-transaxle thread in years now, this seems like a good time.

You're absolutely right that the car is gonna sell as well or even better than the 991. Porsche has been changing as much as every brand has to pander to/draw in more buyers since at least the late 70s/early 80s.

As a consumer myself, my only choice is whether to spend my money on a diecast version when it comes out or not because I'm starting to think 911s are a bit too expensive, or rather have been too expensive for a while now....I always think back to how my dad bought his '74 911 BRAND NEW back in 1975 pretty close to the same age I am now (27 vs 23 respectively). I can say with certainty that unless I hit the lottery jackpot, a brand new 911 probably isn't in the cards for me or many others my age under normal circumstances haha. That said, I'm content having owned more Porsches than most my age, one of them being a Turbo (944 and 931), but that also got me thinking about when people say they want the raw experience from a 911.

Wouldn't/Shouldn't the rawest experience for a 911 come from the cheapest one? Ignoring the Carrera T, GT cars, and the people that say "buy an older 911". In my mind the rawest 911 would be the base model sans any "performance upgrades". No PCCB, Sport Chrono, Power Steering Plus, Rear Wheel Steering, or any of that extra fluff. Less electrical/computerized add-ons puts more control in in the driver's hands. The less tech, the rawer the car. To be fair, we are asking computers to be more like typewriters. I could ramble on and on, but I'm busy configuring 911s that cost as much as houses in even the lowest trims and thinking to myself "this is silly". I was theoretically in the market, a base Carrera with little in way of luxury like the one I've made here would be my perfect "raw" daily driver 911.

Now, if by fate I come into enough money to make this a reality by the time I turn 27, who knows! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mine started out that way, but the configurator is a devil that sucks you in just before finalizing the build.
Old 11-12-2018, 05:05 PM
Haliax
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
Digital gauges suck.

Fake exhaust tips are weak.

Fake ignition key thing where you're not actually turning the engine over yourself is bad.

Fake engine noise pumped through the stereo is shameful and has Ferry and Dr Ferdinand and every Porsche boy that was ever born a free man roll in his grave.

One inch longer sucks.

21" wheels are too big and look silly.

You need big gulp cupholders in a 911 as much as you need an accordion to go deer hunting.

The tiny little shifter looks cool on a cruiser like Panny or RS7 or M6, but it's a pain to watch on a 911.

Hybrid and electric is the absolute puke and the final ultimate demise of the 911 ethos.
^^^^ +1
From Car & Driver:

". . . exhausts that exit through the bumper rather than underneath it. These exhaust tips are not physically connected to the muffler exits, which allows them to be closer to the fascia—at the price of some authenticity. This disconnection also reduces repair costs in rear-end collisions, which apparently is important for German insurance premiums."

The German insurance bean-counters are now determining the back-end of brand new Porsches apparently.
Old 11-12-2018, 05:43 PM
Karl_W944
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
Digital gauges suck.

Fake exhaust tips are weak. Everyone's doing it nowadays, and it does suck.

Fake ignition key thing where you're not actually turning the engine over yourself is bad. At least it's better than just pushing a button. I'd rather have this than pushing a button.

Fake engine noise pumped through the stereo is shameful and has Ferry and Dr Ferdinand and every Porsche boy that was ever born a free man roll in his grave. Modern cars are too damn insulated to block out exterior noises and NVH as a whole. Porsches especially because they are LUXURY CARS now...

One inch longer sucks. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

21" wheels are too big and look silly. Every damn European sports car seems to come with large wheels for whatever reason It seems. 19" is perfect, especially with a meaty tire on it.

You need big gulp cupholders in a 911 as much as you need an accordion to go deer hunting. Because Americans lol.

The tiny little shifter looks cool on a cruiser like Panny or RS7 or M6, but it's a pain to watch on a 911. It looks like a stubby little thing.

Hybrid and electric is the absolute puke and the final ultimate demise of the 911 ethos. I agree, and disagree at the same time
Old 11-12-2018, 05:48 PM
Thinc2
Pro

Received 188 Likes on 110 Posts

Can you guys educate me on why hybrid is necessarily such a bad thing for the 911?

I love high driver engagement and low weight, probably like most of us. I don't see this necessarily being less engaging, so is it the weight that's the issue, or just that's it's a new (perhaps more complicated) drivetrain?

Quick Reply: Hate the 992??! OFFICIAL VENTING THREAD # Ultimate bashing allowed. Step in the ring.