Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 preview

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 03:50 AM
basic666
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

@arek from the article "and exhausts that exit through the bumper rather than underneath it. These exhaust tips are not physically connected to the muffler exits, which allows them to be closer to the fascia—at the price of some authenticity."

not sure what it means exactly tbh

i remember porsche invited quite a few folks who were active on rennlist to an early preview event a few months back for user research / feedback, they have also commented on the cheap interior. I would imagine if that's a feature of the mule, they would have called it out to the testers.

But i agree, should not make any definitive judgements until we see the actual car
Old 10-11-2018, 04:05 AM
boyko23
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 23 Posts

Mules are always equipped with all sort of parts from the development process, imv...
Old 10-11-2018, 04:14 AM
dkhm3
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by arek
I wouldn't listen to those comments about cheap interior. All they've seen is a mule. Lets wait for the final product to see what materials are used and what options can be specced to make it better.

I can totally imagine them trying things out using cheap plastics during the design process.
I sat in a new panamera and the interior for me is a turn off, it looks like cheap plastic on the center console.
Old 10-11-2018, 04:17 AM
arek
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by basic666
@arek from the article "and exhausts that exit through the bumper rather than underneath it. These exhaust tips are not physically connected to the muffler exits, which allows them to be closer to the fascia—at the price of some authenticity."

not sure what it means exactly tbh
This is how I understand it:
The muffler and the rest of the engine need to be able to move slightly. When the tips are mounted to the muffler, there needs to be some space between the tips and the bumper to allow for that movement.
By separating the tips from the muffler and making them part of the bumper's lower fascia, they can void having this space around them.
The muffler exits are still directly behind the tips and are blowing through them, they're just not physically touching. This allows the muffler to move with the engine while the tips stay stationary.
Old 10-11-2018, 04:29 AM
dkhm3
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

basically like this:

Old 10-11-2018, 08:45 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

I guess the 991 owners who are horrified by the new exhaust set up will be taking off the chrome exhaust tips add-ons bolted to their muffler pipes in order to demonstrate ... something.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:30 AM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The muffler and the rest of the engine need to be able to move slightly. When the tips are mounted to the muffler, there needs to be some space between the tips and the bumper to allow for that movement.
By separating the tips from the muffler and making them part of the bumper's lower fascia, they can void having this space around them.
The muffler exits are still directly behind the tips and are blowing through them, they're just not physically touching. This allows the muffler to move with the engine while the tips stay stationary.
I believe the 356 had the same exhaust setup where the pipes were detached from the bumper outlets. When looking at most 356s the pipes are extended past the bumper. This was an after market solution since soot would build up inside the chrome rear bumper. I wonder if the same will be required for the 992. For some reason I can't post from my iPad a photo of a 356 with the exhaust extensions.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:53 AM
BLUE.DIOS
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate this fake exhaust tips route, seems like everyone is doing it from Mercedes to Audi!!
Old 10-11-2018, 11:07 AM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

I'm having a hard time seeing where this new model represents a step in the right direction. It seems for every step forward there are two steps back on this one.

Many of us already know the exterior and interior re designs are overall disjointed and downright awkward with whiffs of cheapness but it seems almost every bit of new information learned / confirmed is nothing positive either,

Just a few examples :

" First, the 992 gets a bigger central intercooler at the rear, replacing the pair located in the rear fenders of the 991.2."

This will likely mean even worse accessibility to the top / rear portions of engine itself, basically just one more thing in the way that needs to be removed for basic servicing,

" The 992 engines also get piezo fuel injectors, which are more expensive than the mechanical direct injectors but provide more precise control of the injection quantity. "

After years of issues plaguing the first gen BMW turbo engines the piezo injectors were ditched for mechanical ones to increase reliability.

" The outer dials also have a limited degree of customization."

Great, so basically the greater degree of functionality and simultaneous displays of the new LCD cluster will be reduced from the current analog cluster.

" This sense of cost reduction continues to the steering wheel, which feels more plasticky and has molded facsimiles of hex-head screws. The ignition switch is similarly downgraded from the metallic-looking item in the 991. The upper surface of the center console now sports a piano-black finish that looks good when new but is vulnerable to scratches. Even the manual transmission's shift **** is now plainly plastic rather than having the leather-and-metal look of its predecessor. And the currently standard microsuede headliner becomes an option, replaced by a less-rich cloth. "

The cheapening of a premium product is NEVER a step in the right direction.

" The 992 also has flush door handles that extend when you touch them. "

Gimmicks are not a step in the right direction.

This list of negatives could go on forever.......

Basically aside from the wider track , some additional aluminum body panels and a little more power there is nothing here that represents steps in the right direction for me. When adding in the long list of negatives it actually seems a large step backwards....
Old 10-11-2018, 11:10 AM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

360 camera is the only thing I wish 991.2 had other than nothing really excits me yet about 992 ...its just me..
Old 10-11-2018, 11:10 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Lime ... you forgot the huge price hike $$

Plus designing a car to be a hybrid must have some trade offs.

The 19"/20" wheel set up on the base model will look goofy. I'm not excited about a 21" rear on the S either. Those tires will be more $$, and for what? 20" on the fronts?

Looks like they designed a car to meet many needs and cost savings while jacking up MSRP's. One widebody design, Panny transmission, designed to be a hybrid, etc. The manual guys will have to pay for a PDK now too.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:15 AM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Night vision....who has been waiting for this in the 911
Old 10-11-2018, 11:16 AM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

For a life long Porsche lover this is downright horrible. It's like watching your favorite childhood actor or musician bomb their career and completely self destruct.

In 25 years I have never felt more negative towards a new 911 than I do right now. The 996 comes to mind but aside from the dramatic stylistic changes and a few bits of questionable quality it represented a major step forward in so many other respects that it all but canceled out the negatives in my opinion. I loved mine and actually miss the way it drove over my 991 which also represented a step in the right direction in many ways and a huge one stylistically but by then was starting to lose traction rapidly.

I'm really struggling to see where any of the 992 changes represent a step forward.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:19 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by limegreen

I'm really struggling to see where any of the 992 changes represent a step forward.

Other than HP, which could have been done on a 991.1/991.2 nothing really.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:25 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,574 Posts

Sorry, but they're fake. As soon as they are no longer attached to the exhaust, they're fake.

The GT2 RS has fake exaust "finishers". There I said it. I pissed in the cheerios of the holy of holy 991's. But they're still fake. They're not part of the exhaust system. I had these on my Lexus, and I've seen them on all manner of new Mercs, Audis, etc. Actually Audi is dropping exhausts overall and going to some kind of black plastic thing that looks like it should be an exhaust when the real tip is hidden under the bumper. We may be splitting hairs, but it's just goofy looking, and indicative of the further shift away from real parts on the car in the direction of "faux" parts. Designed to look sporty, but not actually be purposeful.

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
I guess the 991 owners who are horrified by the new exhaust set up will be taking off the chrome exhaust tips add-ons bolted to their muffler pipes in order to demonstrate ... something.

Nope, not at all.

Quick Reply: 992 preview