Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 preview

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 11:27 AM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

I was going to wait and order a 992 GTS, but the styling cues inside/out put me off enough to just go ahead and pull the trigger on 991.2
And I didn’t even know all these details, no regrets so far
Old 10-11-2018, 11:27 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Sorry, but they're fake. As soon as they are no longer attached to the exhaust, they're fake.

The GT2 RS has fake exaust "finishers". There I said it. I pissed in the cheerios of the holy of holy 991's. But they're still fake. They're not part of the exhaust system. I had these on my Lexus, and I've seen them on all manner of new Mercs, Audis, etc. Actually Audi is dropping exhausts overall and going to some kind of black plastic thing that looks like it should be an exhaust when the real tip is hidden under the bumper. We may be splitting hairs, but it's just goofy looking, and indicative of the further shift away from real parts on the car in the direction of "faux" parts. Designed to look sporty, but not actually be purposeful.Nope, not at all.

When you have tailpipes on these turbo zingers that are no bigger than a straw, who needs real exhaust tips?
Old 10-11-2018, 11:34 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Other than HP, which could have been done on a 991.1/991.2 nothing really.
I agree.

I won't carp on the looks. I've not seen it in person, nor have I seen it without camo. And I have been proven wrong before in pictures (most recently in the Aston Vantage which looks STUNNING in person but way to Miata-like in pictures). So I'll keep my mouth shut on that.

But on tech and finishes....I'm getting less excited. I bought a 911 over some other cars because, despite it's lack of current tech on the inside, It's still an amazing performance vehicle. A pure sports car. Now it seems as if all the naysayers are right, this is turning into a Panamera Coupe or an Audi-type product. Porsche, IMO, has botched the digital dash in the Panamera and Cayenne. It's honestly enough for me to not buy the new Cayenne because it's very confusing and not well set up. I'm not a luddite. I love tech. I love the Model S's layout. BMW's new digi-dash and iDrive is great. I'm one of the few people who loves the new MB digital dash and the thumb pads. I think it's easy to use, well executed and looks stunning in person. Love it. It's enough to make me want to BUY a creampuff floaty sedan. Whereas the muddled mess in the Panny / Cayenne is enough to make me not want to buy it. Seriously, we spend a good amount of time on the inside of our cars. This stuff is important. The touch points, the feel of the materials, it's a serious part of why we buy the cars. I hope they have improved it on the 992.

But the rest of it....meh. Just doesn't get me excited. Mostly PDK focused? Why not buy a Merc GT at this point?

Old 10-11-2018, 11:35 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cyberbug
I was going to wait and order a 992 GTS, but the styling cues inside/out put me off enough to just go ahead and pull the trigger on 991.2
And I didn’t even know all these details, no regrets so far
You won't regret it. The last year of a Porsche model is the best one to have. If you can get over what you're missing in the new car tech wise, you're always ahead.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:37 AM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Speaking of exhaust tips..here is the new Audi RS5

Old 10-11-2018, 12:31 PM
basic666
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
I guess the 991 owners who are horrified by the new exhaust set up will be taking off the chrome exhaust tips add-ons bolted to their muffler pipes in order to demonstrate ... something.
like i said i hate to be sounding like sour grapes here, but the fake exhausts on bmw and mercedes have ALWAYS been a huge turn off. It's completely for show with no real function. Its like sticking a M badge on your 335. The whole point of a 911 is the history and authenticity of a sports car, and this is going against that very thing.

And don't get me wrong, i'm looking forward to the mission e, definitely getting one when my macan goes out of commission. and i hope they throw all the new gadgets in that car. night vision camera? sign me up! brakes with less brake dust? f' ya!

but i'm buying that car to haul people around as comfortable as possible, a very different reason for why i bought the 911. do i want a 360 camera on a sports car with the trade off of fake exhaust tips? nopenopenopenopenope

Last edited by basic666; 10-11-2018 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:27 PM
TopspeedPT
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 64 Posts

Name:  SwSsUDP.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  239.9 KB
Old 10-11-2018, 09:35 PM
sf-911
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Another article:
https://www.automobilemag.com/news/2...w-first-drive/

Interestingly Automobile appears to have driven the prototypes, while Car and Driver could not.

Also Automobile reports Base and S will roll out first, while C&D states the S and 4S will be out first...
"In keeping with Porsche’s modern-era rollout strategy, the 992 will initially only be available in Carrera 2 and Carrera 2S flavors. "

??

We'll know soon enough at the LA Auto Show, November 30, 2018..
Old 10-12-2018, 01:09 AM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,297 Likes on 650 Posts

It would be shocking if final interior materials actually feel low budget. So far that’s the only thing really scaring me. And 360 cams are great. Not sure I ever want to own another car without them
Old 10-12-2018, 01:21 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by slc4s
It would be shocking if final interior materials actually feel low budget. So far that’s the only thing really scaring me. And 360 cams are great. Not sure I ever want to own another car without them

Compared to 991.2, you will see the difference. Those with an eye for quality will. Geez, they're even gonna charge $$ for Alcantara headliners now. Cloth comes standard. Common Porsche!!
Old 10-12-2018, 01:44 AM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by TopspeedPT
Is there really a bumper-fender gap there on the left?

This photo looks like a McDonalds ad.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:35 AM
DKST
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by dkhm3
looks like the rear wing can be adjusted as there are at least 2 levels of height on the cars. or maybe different package like regular pasm and pasm sport i.e. 991.2.

Most likely similar to e.g. the Panamera Sport Turismo where the spoiler has two (or more) spoiler angles, depending on the driving situation. In the Panamera it e.g. depends on whether you opened the panorama window.

Apparently in the 992, there will be a camera analyzing the road conditions and if wet, it will adjust the spoiler accordingly. The road in the picture looks dry to me so there might be a different reason (maybe speed related)?

Old 10-12-2018, 08:49 AM
DKST
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by slc4s
Nothing to be scared of, SLC4S! As mentioned before, any discussion about pre-production (PS2) interior quality is unsubstantiated and pointless until the official production cars (PS3) are out there.

If the interior quality of the Panamera can be taken as guidance, CarandDriver wrote about the 2018 Panamera Sport Turismo: " The Panamera Sport Turismo sports an interior that favors form over function...the materials and build quality are top-notch..."
Old 10-12-2018, 09:14 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 708 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyberbug
360 camera is the only thing I wish 991.2 had other than nothing really excits me yet about 992 ...its just me..
Same here. That would be a nice feature.

I don't mind a larger screen in the center console...just don't take away the tactile buttons and make me hunt for them on a screen in a moving car!
Old 10-12-2018, 10:18 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DKST
Nothing to be scared of, SLC4S! As mentioned before, any discussion about pre-production (PS2) interior quality is unsubstantiated and pointless until the official production cars (PS3) are out there.

If the interior quality of the Panamera can be taken as guidance, CarandDriver wrote about the 2018 Panamera Sport Turismo: " The Panamera Sport Turismo sports an interior that favors form over function...the materials and build quality are top-notch..."
Who cares what Car and Driver wrote. Go to the showroom and check it out for your self.

Personally I wouldn't call a giant black panel "top notch".

Quick Reply: 992 preview