Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 is not a real 911

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 08:59 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,864 Likes on 1,352 Posts

My Porsche ownership has been like this over the past 44 years - all three-pedal cars:

* 1970 911E - drove that car to 233,000 miles before I sold it. Wonderful in its day. It would rust simply by staring at it, I swear.
* 1973 911 Targa - was not as much fun as the prior one, lost of of the pep due to emissions, weight, etc. also rusted.
<dry spell while getting married, raising kids, buying houses, etc>
* 1996 C4S - gorgeous car, probably the most handsome one I ever owned as I had it kitted like a 993TT. It was slow, didn't handle all that well and was very outdated in the build.
* 2008 Boxster S - really a terrific ride, would run circles around the '96 C4S. Totally enjoyable, a bit claustrophobic with the top up, however.
* 2014 Carrera S Cab - best car I ever owned. It's fast, comfortable, extremely capable and a joy to drive every time I get in it. No turbos - makes great noises.

Porsche has always made the new cars....better ..... than the prior generation. They have a knack for that (OK, OK, so there was the early 996's - but no one is perfect). I suspect the 992 will be terrific in every way. HOWEVER - there is a strong rumor they will discontinue the true manual transmission in the new generation and if they do, I will not be a buyer. My play car has to be a 3-pedal. If so, that makes the current GT3 with manual trans and the 4.0 naturally aspirated engine total future gold.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:33 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
My Porsche ownership has been like this over the past 44 years - all three-pedal cars:

* 1970 911E - drove that car to 233,000 miles before I sold it. Wonderful in its day. It would rust simply by staring at it, I swear.
* 1973 911 Targa - was not as much fun as the prior one, lost of of the pep due to emissions, weight, etc. also rusted.
* 1996 C4S - gorgeous car, probably the most handsome one I ever owned as I had it kitted like a 993TT. It was slow, didn't handle all that well and was very outdated in the build.
* 2008 Boxster S - really a terrific ride, would run circles around the '96 C4S. Totally enjoyable, a bit claustrophobic with the top up, however.
* 2014 Carrera S Cab - best car I ever owned. It's fast, comfortable, extremely capable and a joy to drive every time I get in it. No turbos - makes great noises.

Porsche has always made the new cars....better ..... than the prior generation. They have a knack for that (OK, OK, so there was the early 996's - but no one is perfect). I suspect the 992 will be terrific in every way. HOWEVER - there is a strong rumor they will discontinue the true manual transmission in the new generation and if they do, I will not be a buyer. My play car has to be a 3-pedal. If so, that makes the current GT3 with manual trans and the 4.0 naturally aspirated engine total future gold.
There are spy shots of 992s with 7MT.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:49 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,140 Likes on 981 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie

First I have heard that. Source to your "strong rumors"?
Old 04-17-2018, 06:17 PM
Argon_
Pro

It would be an inadvisable decision for them to discontinue the MT.

Remember that AM just released a new Vantage. Lithe and stripped compared to the old one, and it will have a manual.

Killing the stick would deposit a legion of buyers onto AM's lap.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:05 PM
wthensler
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

My first and only 911 is a 996. Despite the universal beating it has taken in the press, it has been a wonderful car, and my ownership experience has been great. In fact, it’s what brought me to my recent order of a 2019 992 S cab. As this is a his and hers, I had to get a PDK, but I’m keeping the 996, so I’ll still have a slush box to kick around.

I’ll miss the third pedal, but I got the sport chrono and some other goodies as consolation.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the manual went the way of the buggy whip. Not a whole lot of sports cars are available with them anymore. The younger generation will never know what they missed.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:32 PM
Argon_
Pro

Originally Posted by wthensler
My first and only 911 is a 996. Despite the universal beating it has taken in the press, it has been a wonderful car, and my ownership experience has been great. In fact, it’s what brought me to my recent order of a 2019 992 S cab. As this is a his and hers, I had to get a PDK, but I’m keeping the 996, so I’ll still have a slush box to kick around.

I’ll miss the third pedal, but I got the sport chrono and some other goodies as consolation.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the manual went the way of the buggy whip. Not a whole lot of sports cars are available with them anymore. The younger generation will never know what they missed.
I think you'd be surprised how many young people still covet the double H.

Most of them are currently rolling around in stick Civics, straight piped WRXes, and E46 sedans, but that won't be forever.

Many will convert their disposable income into cars once they have it. For cars that are A-A enjoyable, I wouldn't write off the MT for a while longer.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:35 PM
Mr.Bourne
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Make

Originally Posted by STG
It will be even further from a 997 trust me.
. I am hesitant to upgrade so far as I really like my 997.2. I wish they would dial back to the “older school” rawness. The T is a step in that direction but seems the 911 is becoming a lux-cruiser. Have a young son so still need back seat but the GT3 seems the only real upgrade option.
Old 06-07-2018, 04:00 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Bourne
. I am hesitant to upgrade so far as I really like my 997.2. I wish they would dial back to the “older school” rawness. The T is a step in that direction but seems the 911 is becoming a lux-cruiser. Have a young son so still need back seat but the GT3 seems the only real upgrade option.
Agree with you here. My 997.2 C2S with manual is everything I ever wanted on a 911.
Old 06-07-2018, 06:22 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by wthensler

Technically speaking the buggy whip was a whole different technology. Using automobilia metaphoria, the menial transmission will go the way of carborundum headlights, cockpit spark advance, and the hand crank starter.
Pulling the choke, priming the carbs, and the flooded engine. The fuel petcock, manual wiper, manual defogger (rag in hand), and goggles.
Historically speaking we are all the younger generation. I seriously doubt any of us misses any of those archaic technologies. Equally seriously doubt very many of those who never had to master the menial task of pushing on a pedal will prefer to waste time on that when they can just flick a paddle.

But wait! We've had the choice for like a decade now. Results are in- people not only don't miss it, they don't want it so much they happily pay $3k (and a significant weight penalty!) to get rid of it!

Oh well.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:00 PM
Argon_
Pro

Originally Posted by chuck911
Technically speaking the buggy whip was a whole different technology. Using automobilia metaphoria, the menial transmission will go the way of carborundum headlights, cockpit spark advance, and the hand crank starter.
Pulling the choke, priming the carbs, and the flooded engine. The fuel petcock, manual wiper, manual defogger (rag in hand), and goggles.
Historically speaking we are all the younger generation. I seriously doubt any of us misses any of those archaic technologies. Equally seriously doubt very many of those who never had to master the menial task of pushing on a pedal will prefer to waste time on that when they can just flick a paddle.

But wait! We've had the choice for like a decade now. Results are in- people not only don't miss it, they don't want it so much they happily pay $3k (and a significant weight penalty!) to get rid of it!

Oh well.
Tell that to the fifty percent take rate on the 6MT GT3, the smash hit of the Cayman GT4, or the massive premium that a Singer commands. Oh well, they're just facts.

To this day there are still horse breeders; people simply love to ride, and are willing to pay.

The big difference between four wheel drive nonruminant herbivores and our beloved stick gearbox, is that a stick car is every bit capable of keeping pace with automatics, EVs, and self driving vehicles.

Anachronism or not, people want them. Capitalism will provide.

/rant
Old 06-09-2018, 01:16 AM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by henryting
Agree with you here. My 997.2 C2S with manual is everything I ever wanted on a 911.
I used to think that also when I owned my 997 MT. Thought that I liked the rawness of the 997. I even posted that same thing on a 997 forum a few years back. Then I drove a 991. After that, my 997 didn't feel "raw", it just felt underpowered and dated.
Old 06-09-2018, 11:26 AM
speed_kills
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mb1
I used to think that also when I owned my 997 MT. Thought that I liked the rawness of the 997. I even posted that same thing on a 997 forum a few years back. Then I drove a 991. After that, my 997 didn't feel "raw", it just felt underpowered and dated.
When I upgraded from 997.1TT to 997.2TT, I thought this was all the car I could ask for.

But after I got my 991.2 C2S, the 997 indeed felt old instead of raw. While the 991.2 C2S doesn't have the TT's top end, it was just SO MUCH better in every way.

Porsche really has a way of improving in every generation and I'm excited to see the 992.
Old 06-09-2018, 05:41 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 993 Likes on 527 Posts

Originally Posted by speed_kills
When I upgraded from 997.1TT to 997.2TT, I thought this was all the car I could ask for.

But after I got my 991.2 C2S, the 997 indeed felt old instead of raw. While the 991.2 C2S doesn't have the TT's top end, it was just SO MUCH better in every way.

Porsche really has a way of improving in every generation and I'm excited to see the 992.
I would agree with you on that. They are better cars, in a way, but there are more metrics than simply performance figures.

And after a long run of buying and selling Porsches starting in 1988, getting the 996 GT3 in 2006 ended that streak for me.

The truth is I haven't bothered testing newer cars, but my gut tells me that the improvements in performance over the years have come at the price of scrubbing away the rawness and simplicity of the GT3—more so than I would like.

The alternative might be a new RS, but my old reliable ride is long, long paid for and slamming down that kind of money is simply not in the cards for me.
Old 06-10-2018, 12:05 AM
Argon_
Pro

Originally Posted by Marv
I would agree with you on that. They are better cars, in a way, but there are more metrics than simply performance figures.

And after a long run of buying and selling Porsches starting in 1988, getting the 996 GT3 in 2006 ended that streak for me.

The truth is I haven't bothered testing newer cars, but my gut tells me that the improvements in performance over the years have come at the price of scrubbing away the rawness and simplicity of the GT3—more so than I would like.

The alternative might be a new RS, but my old reliable ride is long, long paid for and slamming down that kind of money is simply not in the cards for me.
With an old reliable like that, powered by a legendary engine that contends with the 2J, I'd probably say the same.
Old 06-18-2018, 03:25 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by NA430GTS
The right one is Laguna. Not sure of the one on the left.
..Laguna, yes, but photo taken from down under !

Quick Reply: 992 is not a real 911