Notices
992 Turbo and Turbo S 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

992.2 turbo RWD & manual with "touring package"?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2024, 05:45 PM
cebe
Pro

Received 456 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by silversurfer6
Latest news is that this car will be delayed and will not launch with the Turbo S in Jan/Feb 2025.

Still have the above unanswered questions:
1) pdk option?
2) convertible?
3) bhp
4) torque
5) “wing” final design
Thank you for the additional, interesting information.

Having to wait a little longer for this version is somewhat a bummer, but it is understandable that Porsche may want to maximise the promotional impact of having two separate presentations.

To me a new 911 turbo is a big deal in general and the coming back of RWD and/or manual ( after 30 years) in a turbo is worth of a separate presentation in itself.

My sentiment is that they will present a Touring with the small movable wing and keep a "whale tail" for a possible anniversary version.
Old 06-28-2024, 06:08 PM
992.Turbo.S
Racer

Received 184 Likes on 94 Posts

Latest news is that this car will be delayed and will not launch with the Turbo S in Jan/Feb 2025.

Still have the above unanswered questions:
1) pdk option?
2) convertible?
3) bhp
4) torque
5) “wing” final design

Do we know if this will be be hybrid?
Old 06-28-2024, 06:21 PM
silversurfer6
Rennlist Member

Received 687 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by 992.Turbo.S
Do we know if this will be be hybrid?
Not a hybrid.
The following 3 users liked this post by silversurfer6:
992.Turbo.S (06-28-2024), cavemanmoore (06-29-2024), SNB (06-28-2024)
Old 06-28-2024, 06:39 PM
992.Turbo.S
Racer

Received 184 Likes on 94 Posts

Not a hybrid.
Thanks. I just contacted my dealer to ask about an allocation for one. If it’s non hybrid then I would definitely want it.
Old 06-28-2024, 09:08 PM
Engro
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by CM991
Many here underestimate the sales impact a Turbo, RWD, manual version will have. It’ll sure challenge the GT3 in allocations scarcity.
I doubt it will. Why have a lite version when you can have the real thing. GT3 Touring is a completely different car and sticking RWD + manual in a Turbo is NOT = GT3 touring.

I frankly don’t understand the desire for a RWD manual turbo or the noise about such a car. Reminds me of E60 M5 epic engine mated to a manual compared to SMG that was the proper transmission for the epic engine. The character of the newer turbos just feels off with a manual. A GT3 yes or S feel more appropriate.
I have been driving manual cars since the 80s so a manual car is not a new concept for me. Of course Porsche will sell air if there was market for it and people will trip over themselves saying how great it is 🤣

I don’t see the demand for the car but perhaps I’m wrong and we will see

Last edited by Engro; 06-28-2024 at 09:10 PM.
Old 06-29-2024, 02:48 AM
cebe
Pro

Originally Posted by Engro
GT3 Touring is a completely different car and sticking RWD + manual in a Turbo is NOT a GT3
I belelieve you are correct, but I would argue that precisely because a "Turbo Touring " will have a complete different character compared to a manual GT3 it will be the reason for a significant amount of customers to have interest in such car.

I am personally familiar with people who own a GT3 manual or an S/T and also a Sport Classic and use them for different purposes.

A manual GT3 is best appreciated for a quick blast, say 200 miles max on mountain roads in a day without a passenger and luggage, whereas a Turbo Touring would probably be the perfect car for a two people vacation where you drive also highways for several hundreds of miles in a few days and some twisty roads.

That's how I would use it!
The following 3 users liked this post by cebe:
911Vintage (07-01-2024), cavemanmoore (06-29-2024), heshalosny (06-30-2024)
Old 06-29-2024, 02:29 PM
cebe
Pro

Default Turbo vs Turbo S market positioning

For the fun of it, I tried looking up the sales numbers of turbo vs turbo S variants sold: in order to understand the business case for Porsche of a RWD and possibly manual turbo.

Solid numbers are thin on the ground as Porsche does not officialy give them, once more the old Rennlist 3Ds are the best source... apparently in the 991.2 the rate was about 3 turbo S for every turbo.
If the historic trend was reinforced with the 992 we may have a situation where the turbo S annual sales are over 4000 and the turbo around 1000.

We have to assume that for Porsche the higher priced variants are usually more profitable, I believe it is a reasonable assumption.

Where I live it is basically almost impossible to find a 992 turbo as they are almost all turbo S.

For Porsche to develop and homologate every single variant is a fixed cost and if that variant does not capture a significant marginal demand in terms of volume it is not worthwhile.
I believe that 1000 cars annually is very close to the minimum workable volume to keep a plain turbo variant alive.
Addittionally, Porsche would make more money selling just 1000 additional turbo S and save the fixed costs.

Enters now a turbo variant that is RWD and sufficiently differenciated from the turbo S to drive its sales up to a significant numbers (say 2000/year) and capture additional demand from customers that would not consider a PDK and AWD turbo... they are out there and keep pushing up the values of old 997 turbo manual and 997 GT2 ... I believe Porsche is very attentive to the used and vintage car market to spot trends that can drive sales of new cars.

If Porsche can create a simpler 992.2 turbo (minus hybrid motor that will be present in the turbo S) and cheaper for them to built and sell it for almost the same price as the turbo S to additional customers ... then it is a very interesting business case for the company.

Hope the above holds true and they really decide to built it.

Last edited by cebe; 06-29-2024 at 04:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
iso87 (06-29-2024)
Old 06-29-2024, 05:25 PM
cavemanmoore
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by cebe
a Turbo Touring would probably be the perfect car for a two people vacation where you drive also highways for several hundreds of miles in a few days and some twisty roads.

That's how I would use it!
That's exactly how I intend to use mine.
Old 06-29-2024, 06:00 PM
amitlikhyani
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The sport classic is detuned to 443 ft/lbs of torque down from 590 on the Turbo S. They probably ran out of time to design a new clutch for what the current Turbo S puts out.
Old 06-29-2024, 06:06 PM
cebe
Pro

Default Small details GTS-GT3-turbo Touring

Looking once more at a video posted earlier on in the 3D, I just noticed a couple of small detail about differences between this "turbo Touring " when compared with the 992.2 GTS and the prototype of the upcoming GT3 Touring.

Here is the overall picture from the video:

If we do a close-up on the rear tails we can see that the GT3 Touring has a Guerney flap added like the 991.2 Touring, whereas the turbo Touring has an integral lip that does a wraparound sort of profile.

Even more peculiar and somewhat unexpected in such high performance variant is the sidewall of the rear tires, that appear significantly taller than the GT3 ... It may be just an effect of a picture taken from a different angle, but to me it looks like a taller sidewall and maybe a smaller rim.

A different tires combination than the turbo S (and definitely than the GT3) would make sense for a more "relaxed" car, something that Porsche never did for the Touring version of the GT3.
For the 992 line the GT3, the turbo S and the SC all have a 21" rear rim ... for some reason this test mule has the front rims of the SC, but different rear rims ... maybe they are not 21" ?

Last edited by cebe; 06-29-2024 at 06:18 PM.
911Vintage (07-01-2024)
Old 07-01-2024, 10:13 AM
911Vintage
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by cebe
Looking once more at a video posted earlier on in the 3D, I just noticed a couple of small detail about differences between this "turbo Touring " when compared with the 992.2 GTS and the prototype of the upcoming GT3 Touring.

If we do a close-up on the rear tails we can see that the GT3 Touring has a Guerney flap added like the 991.2 Touring, whereas the turbo Touring has an integral lip that does a wraparound sort of profile.

Even more peculiar and somewhat unexpected in such high performance variant is the sidewall of the rear tires, that appear significantly taller than the GT3 ... It may be just an effect of a picture taken from a different angle, but to me it looks like a taller sidewall and maybe a smaller rim.

A different tires combination than the turbo S (and definitely than the GT3) would make sense for a more "relaxed" car, something that Porsche never did for the Touring version of the GT3.
For the 992 line the GT3, the turbo S and the SC all have a 21" rear rim ... for some reason this test mule has the front rims of the SC, but different rear rims ... maybe they are not 21" ?
Good eye Inspector Jacques Clouseau!

Old 07-01-2024, 04:25 PM
cebe
Pro

Originally Posted by 911Vintage
Good eye Inspector Jacques Clouseau!
Thanks!
Given that we have limited insider information, lots of speculation and a few pictures ... I try to gather as much as possible from the pictures ( granted that they could be misleading as well).

For a comparison, here is a similar view of the three prototypes in their latest form.

Turbo Touring

Turbo S

GT3

As you can see the Turbo S and the GT3 appear to have similar rims and probably similar tire/rim size as they did in the 992.1.

Last edited by cebe; 07-01-2024 at 04:29 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by cebe:
911Vintage (07-02-2024), cavemanmoore (07-01-2024), iso87 (07-02-2024)
Old 07-01-2024, 08:01 PM
dave2020
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 81 Posts

Thought this was interesting and perhaps telling...

Old 07-02-2024, 11:53 AM
TtimeS
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 59 Posts

If pdk is an option im definitely in. Order the lightest spec, rwd, pdk, absolutely. Up the power and add gt3 aero and your going to have 991.2 gt2RS like capabilities!
AlexCeres (07-02-2024)
Old 07-03-2024, 10:58 AM
cebe
Pro

Default Old school manual high torque cars are coming back

As you may have seen, Aston Martin has introduced a new special car with RWD and manual transmission, wrapped in a classic shaped body (no big aero visible): the Valour.
Despite a very different price point compared to a 911 turbo, the concept is somewhat similar to the potential new turbo Touring.
Very perculiar the fact that Aston Martin and Porsche are bringing back at the same time a manual rwd car with a high torque engine.

Interesting also the comments about the challenge facing manufacturers on adapting a manual gearbox to very high torque values.
Also AM had to reduce the peak torque value, similar to what has been done on the SC by Porsche.

Here is the abstract:
We spent a lot of time working with Graziano to develop the transmission to not only handle the torque, but also to give good feel,” says Newton, explaining that an engine with more torque would have required a transmission with a heavier, more robust gear set. “High-torque manuals often feel compromised” he says. “We were looking for a balance between torque capacity and feel.”
The following 2 users liked this post by cebe:
911Vintage (07-04-2024), AlexCeres (07-04-2024)

Quick Reply: 992.2 turbo RWD & manual with "touring package"?