Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2023, 09:58 AM
stef@europipe
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 347 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by f4bones
Disassembled the throttle body etc last night, and reseated all boots and connectors - seems that this solved all the problems. Very happy with the upgrades - highly recommended. It just dumped a bunch of snow last night, so doubtful I will get any draggy data anytime soon . . . but will post here when I do.

I also swapped out the Akrapovic 200 cel cats for SOUL catless pipes just to see how much louder it is - MUCH louder. Sounds AWESOME, but probably too much for me for a street car. I'm going to drive it a bit more once WX clears up, and then swap back to the 200 cel cats . . .
Akrapovic uses 300 cell cats on the 992 Turbo S. Have you tried a cold start delete? That makes a big difference.
Old 12-02-2023, 02:48 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 1,053 Likes on 628 Posts

Originally Posted by f4bones
Thanks @Shogunade ! Yes, it was a fun project, and don't regret it one bit - but I like to think I'm an engineer driven by data, and hard to know the fruits of your labors without quantitative data. I'm happy with the results - just don't know "how" happy! Really, should have done the mods one by one and then done several test runs, while endeavoring to adjust for differences in DA, etc. . . .but in the end of the day, these mods all seem to make sense, and most were quantified by others or the OEM . . . I'm hoping some of the smarter / more experienced members of this forum will fill in the blanks!

I'm currently building a new hanger / workshop with a dyno built into the floor - unfortunately it's a dynocom 2wd version - a very nice dyno, but only 2wd . . .really wish I had of sprung for a 4wd version, and built the corresponding pit into the floor. Should still be able to get good data on a 2wd version I think . . .

Not sure if you know or not, but these cars go into 2wd in Dyno mode! (Thats how I tuned my car with M Eng, Dyno mode 2wd.)

At the end of the day, these engines are air pumps, I feel like less restriction on the intake side should be a great thing. Unless with some miracle that the stock system is highly engineered and is fine for up to a point. Maybe stage 2 isn't pushing it past that point... This is why we need some data. Trouble is you either have to dyno on the same day OR do 60-130 or 1/4 mph, but the DA has to pretty damn close to the same and the same road.

I did notice that pipi24 (can't remember his exact handle) he posted on draggy some runs after doing inlets and turbo pressure hoses, it doesn't appear that he got any noticeable gains from what I can see. (I think he posted above what mod he was doing exactly) - his draggys look pretty similar to before. So perhaps the system has been designed well for stock turbos. I don't think he did the air filters, but this is good data. I just read his msg on draggy and he said his IAT looked better however.

Old 12-02-2023, 04:13 PM
onfireTTS
Drifting

Received 1,102 Likes on 850 Posts

Originally Posted by Angryinch
Not sure if you know or not, but these cars go into 2wd in Dyno mode! (Thats how I tuned my car with M Eng, Dyno mode 2wd.)

At the end of the day, these engines are air pumps, I feel like less restriction on the intake side should be a great thing. Unless with some miracle that the stock system is highly engineered and is fine for up to a point. Maybe stage 2 isn't pushing it past that point... This is why we need some data. Trouble is you either have to dyno on the same day OR do 60-130 or 1/4 mph, but the DA has to pretty damn close to the same and the same road.

I did notice that pipi24 (can't remember his exact handle) he posted on draggy some runs after doing inlets and turbo pressure hoses, it doesn't appear that he got any noticeable gains from what I can see. (I think he posted above what mod he was doing exactly) - his draggys look pretty similar to before. So perhaps the system has been designed well for stock turbos. I don't think he did the air filters, but this is good data. I just read his msg on draggy and he said his IAT looked better however.
In theory, it should not make any additional hp on a stock turbo engine since the DME is based on mass flow control. If there were an inlet pressure drop on the factory system and it was replaced with a zero drop system , boost would increase on a static control and make more hp, but the Porsche DME will correct for that increase. Basically, the same way the DME adds boost at high altitude and drops boost at sea level to “attempt “ to make the same power at both areas.

It’s possible that you could get a quick step in throttle boost spike before the DME corrects and get a momentary power boost.

Still a good mod as the turbos will be more efficient.

Now on a modded engine with a modded tune, results should be good.
The following users liked this post:
Angryinch (12-02-2023)
Old 12-02-2023, 09:51 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 1,774 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Keep it coming, guys. Learning a lot every post. Cheers.
Old 12-05-2023, 11:25 AM
Beherit
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

I just dropped mine off to have them installed and should get it back tomorrow they said. Then I will data log and send it back to M-Engineering and see if they can adjust my tune or if it is running ok and then I Will get a 60 to 130 and compare it with my previous run.
Old 12-05-2023, 12:57 PM
ss2z06
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Beherit
I just dropped mine off to have them installed and should get it back tomorrow they said. Then I will data log and send it back to M-Engineering and see if they can adjust my tune or if it is running ok and then I Will get a 60 to 130 and compare it with my previous run.
Do you have any other mods done currently (beyond tune)? What exactly is being installed?
Old 12-05-2023, 01:09 PM
Beherit
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by ss2z06
Do you have any other mods done currently (beyond tune)? What exactly is being installed?
They are installing the APR intakes. Right now I have turbo back exhaust and M-Engineering tune. It previously went 5.80 60 to 130 but I let out early for a car.
Angryinch (12-05-2023)
Old 12-07-2023, 07:18 AM
Jking911
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I would like to see a comparison with these 2 systems and stock setup with BMC filters. When you compare stock filters to the BMC it looks like to me the stock filters would be the biggest restriction. All the aftermarket comparison numbers are to the stock setup with the stock filters.

Old 12-07-2023, 07:36 AM
piripi14
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

@Angryinch I will write a letter to Santa Claus to give me those famous PTME 1100 Turbos to be faster..

Angryinch (12-07-2023)
Old 12-07-2023, 08:24 AM
rc3tech
6th Gear

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jking911
I would like to see a comparison with these 2 systems and stock setup with BMC filters. When you compare stock filters to the BMC it looks like to me the stock filters would be the biggest restriction. All the aftermarket comparison numbers are to the stock setup with the stock filters.
In my flowbench testing, I found the BMC filters to provide a 7.5-9.5% increase in flow over the stock filter on the complete OEM air intake system at various depressions.

Last edited by rc3tech; 12-07-2023 at 08:32 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by rc3tech:
Angryinch (12-07-2023), Jking911 (12-07-2023)
Old 12-07-2023, 08:55 AM
Jking911
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by rc3tech
In my flowbench testing, I found the BMC filters to provide a 7.5-9.5% increase in flow over the stock filter on the complete OEM air intake system at various depressions.
so, by going by your previous post, a good increase with the whole systems.
Old 12-07-2023, 09:01 AM
rc3tech
6th Gear

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jking911
so, by going by your previous post, a good increase with the whole systems.
Yes. The filter is definitely still the best bang for buck, but there are considerable gains to be had with the rest of the system.
Old 12-07-2023, 03:16 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 1,053 Likes on 628 Posts

Originally Posted by piripi14
@Angryinch I will write a letter to Santa Claus to give me those famous PTME 1100 Turbos to be faster..

IF you install the meth system on your car. I swear I seen a stock turbo car, I think in the M Eng post about meth, it was hitting 27-29psi boost, that is pretty huge for stock turbos. They are likely able to lean on the stock units harder with the meth cooling the IAT down.

You're going to need the meth system if you upgrade turbos, perhaps try meth first?? Looks like it will work very well for you, your climate is hot so the effective DA will drop lots when IAT cool.
piripi14 (12-08-2023)
Old 12-08-2023, 12:57 PM
piripi14
Intermediate

That's right my friend @Angryinch ..
I'm going to try the meth kit first with the stock turbos to see where we get to and improve the IATs.

But I plan to reach Stage 4 Plus later...

Thanks for the information and advice
Old 12-08-2023, 01:13 PM
piripi14
Intermediate

hello friends like ACTUALLY AFTER INSTALLING THE do88 - Pressure Hose Kit AND do88 - Turbo Inlet Hoses
I feel the car has almost the same power, but I do notice that the top of the iat in the race remains a little lower, also with a little fresh air they drop faster.

You hear something different and I feel it with constant power.

Greetings to all
Angryinch (12-08-2023)

Quick Reply: Airbox intake systems