Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

Airbox intake systems

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2023, 04:49 PM
f4bones
Rennlist Member

Received 690 Likes on 311 Posts

yup - stock turbos - I don't really have access to high octane fuel here in Wyoming, at least not easy / economic access, so I'm kind of stuck with the 91 tune. Big turbos are severely limited when limited to 91 octane I'm told. I'd upgrade in a second if I had the gas to support it! I do have 100LL aviation fuel, but the O2 sensors won't last very long with the lead . . . otherwise that would be ideal gas!
Old 11-28-2023, 05:51 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 1,033 Likes on 615 Posts

Originally Posted by f4bones
yup - stock turbos - I don't really have access to high octane fuel here in Wyoming, at least not easy / economic access, so I'm kind of stuck with the 91 tune. Big turbos are severely limited when limited to 91 octane I'm told. I'd upgrade in a second if I had the gas to support it! I do have 100LL aviation fuel, but the O2 sensors won't last very long with the lead . . . otherwise that would be ideal gas!
You can add a meth system that will give you all the octane you need.

Old 11-29-2023, 01:55 PM
ss2z06
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Angryinch
M Eng, has the PTME1100 in stock! Just saying, sscz06
LOL, I've seen and watched. I suspect if and when I upgrade them I may go with the PTME1000's instead based off I don't want to install meth and am running 91.
Old 11-29-2023, 01:59 PM
f4bones
Rennlist Member

My thoughts as well, and this is what was recommended by ME. Let me know if you do it and your impressions. Finished my install last night - just waiting on delivery of new oil today to complete the oil change and then I'll run her and post my impressions. No extra screws, so I guess I probably got it back together correctly . . .
The following users liked this post:
DKM (11-29-2023)
Old 11-29-2023, 03:20 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

@ss2z06 - I really like having meth now, the IATs are low, the power is great too. Downside, if the system fails and adding meth to it all the time. The meth really brings the turbos alive as you can run more boost safely. Maybe the 1000s make less heat than the PTME1100?

@f4bones - Nice, I am awaiting your results. I think I might do the Do88 since it comes with larger inlets and filters.

One thing I forgot about and a bit concerning, all the rocks that go into the fender intakes. Is there a prefilter on any of these systems or do all these rocks gather in the air filters?? I just seen a reel pop up on IG of, it appeared to be an aftermarket air filter system on a GT car with fender intakes and the cone air filter was FULL of road rocks, by full, I mean 3-5 handfuls!

Old 11-29-2023, 03:32 PM
Beherit
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

I just received my APR intake system and will have it on by next Wednesday. I'll report back with impressions and will try and get a 60 - 130 to compare. It did 5.8x spinning a tad on the hit and letting out around 125 for a car.
The following 2 users liked this post by Beherit:
Angryinch (11-29-2023), rc3tech (11-29-2023)
Old 11-29-2023, 06:20 PM
f4bones
Rennlist Member

The APR intake uses the stock fender intake and rock trap thingie . . . indeed, there was a bunch of gravel in my filter box, but I haven't driven the car that much. One benefit of the APR system is that it retains the stock intake general design, including the "pre-filter" rock guard . . . but the general design of the APR seems FAR superior to the stock unit, and much less restrictive. The do88 turbo side pipes are also MUCH larger than stock, and significantly sturdier - this also seems like a "must" have for those running bigger turbos, and certainly can't hurt stock turbo applications as well. The do88 turbo pipe setup is relatively inexpensive at around $500. Other than the fitment issue noted in this thread above (requirement to elongate holes and use a longer bolt), installation is straightforward.

The carbon fiber layups in the APR setup are beautiful - very nice quality.
Old 11-29-2023, 07:09 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

^ Awesome, that is good to know.

I will ask do88 if they retain the stock rock guards as well. Those seem pretty important to me, tons of debris is caught in there.
Old 11-29-2023, 10:49 PM
f4bones
Rennlist Member

OK - first drive impressions - noticeable increase in power, but this is highly subjective and not controlled - I need to set up draggy and log some runs, but seems insanely fast (was merely stupid fast before) . However, after a few runs down the runway here in Alpine Wyoming, I got the dreaded "reduced power, take to dealer" fault - plugged in a friends ODB reader and it says air leak on side 1 (or A) - can't remember. My best guess is that one of the boots on the "Y" is not properly seated - looked at it, and it appears the hose clamp has moved a bit, so first thing to investigate tomorrow. I have a PWIS 3 system, but haven't quite figured out how to read errors on it yet - will investigate more tomorrow.
Old 11-29-2023, 11:33 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

Need draggy and logs to compare for sure, seat of pants is hard to tell. I hope you can log it and 60-130? I’d love to see.

friend told me he sprays hairspray on the turbo pipes before clamping down to help them seal…

Where did you get the p3 software/hardware at??? I need that!
Old 11-30-2023, 12:43 AM
f4bones
Rennlist Member

Yes, I can definitely do 60-130 - as soon as we figure out the issues and get draggy set up, will do a few runs. It's almost 6,000' elevation here, and cold - will help the DA, but will have to work to heat the tires up. I have two errors to fix tomorrow - first is an air leak that puts up the "Reduced engine power driving permitted visit workshop" error - and some kind of error with my ACC . . . not quite sure what that is - the only thing I can think of is that there is a blind spot detector on the airbox that has to be disconnected when airbox is removed - maybe didn't get plugged in, or not plugged in properly . . a total PITA as requires removal of the bumper . . . again. . .

Got PWIS 3.0 and hardware from @rnlst_log - he activated my matrix headlights as well - highly recommended.
Old 11-30-2023, 01:31 AM
f4bones
Rennlist Member

One correction to my prior posts - I installed the IPD plenum I purchased from a RL member, not a do88 plenum . . . when I purchased the do88 turbo hose kit, the vendor accidentally sent me the do88 plenum - you can see both in the first photos I posted. The do88 plenum has smaller ducts - they are very similar, but the IPD seems bigger / better . . . TOTAL PITA to install though, and probably now the source of my air leak issue. . .
Old 11-30-2023, 01:50 AM
Angryinch
Drifting

If you have a leak and it’s popping a code for that, the leak would likely need to be after the MAF sensors. So it would make sense that the leak could be at the plenum.

I don’t think the ECU has the ability to detect a leak before the MAF sensors.
Old 11-30-2023, 01:51 AM
Angryinch
Drifting

Originally Posted by f4bones
Yes, I can definitely do 60-130 - as soon as we figure out the issues and get draggy set up, will do a few runs. It's almost 6,000' elevation here, and cold - will help the DA, but will have to work to heat the tires up. I have two errors to fix tomorrow - first is an air leak that puts up the "Reduced engine power driving permitted visit workshop" error - and some kind of error with my ACC . . . not quite sure what that is - the only thing I can think of is that there is a blind spot detector on the airbox that has to be disconnected when airbox is removed - maybe didn't get plugged in, or not plugged in properly . . a total PITA as requires removal of the bumper . . . again. . .

Got PWIS 3.0 and hardware from @rnlst_log - he activated my matrix headlights as well - highly recommended.
Thanks for the referral!!
Old 11-30-2023, 08:18 AM
piripi14
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Action !!!

do88 - Turbo Inlet Hoses/BMC Performance Air Filters/do88 - Pressure Hose Kit

hello friends . I am working with you on this installation to improve air flow. I tell you that I found all kinds of garbage out there. I think you have to clean it every 3 months. Greetings, I will share some dragy on the street, our weather has improved a little.

greetings to all

The following users liked this post:
Angryinch (11-30-2023)

Quick Reply: Airbox intake systems