Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

Mclaren surprised me a lot

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2024, 11:57 AM
justshowup
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wish I had seen this thread before, but anyways... I'm trying to decide between the 750S and 992.2 TTS (or whatever its name going to be).

I actually got a price for the 750S config I just made and was surprised that it's not really that much more expensive than Porsche, and I'm pretty sure 992.2 TTS will come with a price increase as well, so it's really not that much of a difference.

Currently I have an Ioniq 5 N (yeah I know, EV, blah blah, it's actually kinda fun!) for in-city/short trips and my SO wanted a "family car".

I'm actually leaning towards the 750S, I'm tired of waiting for the new TTS, however, there are a couple limiting factors and I hope you guys can help me:
- the nearest Porsche dealership is ~90km, the nearest Mac is ~325km (and it's another country - Austria)
- is there enough luggage space in the 750S for 2 people?
- how comfortable is it for longer drives?

Hope someone with some experience can answer these questions.
Old 09-12-2024, 12:10 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,516 Likes on 819 Posts

Originally Posted by justshowup
Wish I had seen this thread before, but anyways... I'm trying to decide between the 750S and 992.2 TTS (or whatever its name going to be).

I actually got a price for the 750S config I just made and was surprised that it's not really that much more expensive than Porsche, and I'm pretty sure 992.2 TTS will come with a price increase as well, so it's really not that much of a difference.

Currently I have an Ioniq 5 N (yeah I know, EV, blah blah, it's actually kinda fun!) for in-city/short trips and my SO wanted a "family car".

I'm actually leaning towards the 750S, I'm tired of waiting for the new TTS, however, there are a couple limiting factors and I hope you guys can help me:
- the nearest Porsche dealership is ~90km, the nearest Mac is ~325km (and it's another country - Austria)

I'd second guess buying a Mclaren if I didnt have a dealer close by.....
The following users liked this post:
Billy Bluejay (09-12-2024)
Old 09-12-2024, 02:42 PM
L76
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 58 Posts

The answer to your questions lies within YOU. What is your intended use for the car? My opinion - and I do not own a Mac (but did considerable evaluation at time I purchased my 992.1 TTS) - I think this thread is kind of silly because Macs and Porsche TT/S cars were designed for completely different purposes. My SO didn't even want to get into a Mac in a miniskirt on date night... one of many reasons I went with the TTS. My answers to your questions (which are probably irrelevant if your intended use for the car is different than mine):

-I service ALL of my vehicles. It's part of my auto enthusiast hobby credo and it's not a money thing... I consider the ability to understand/modify/maintain my cars as part of keeping my "man card." Yes - I would go to a dealer while the car is under warranty (esp for transmission), BUT... not having a local dealership is not a deal breaker for me.

-Luggage space - I use my TTS for dual purpose. Daily driver and track (mostly DE days with PCA). When I looked at the Macs at time I purchased my TTS, there wasn't a single Mac model that felt it could handle daily driver duties (I had reliability concerns based on conversations w/friends who own them, and that the car might spend a lot of time in the shop/repairs, also felt that the Macs lacked comfort vs TTS (e.g. I have air conditioned 18-way seats wrapped in custom leather) sitting in traffic, I couldn't see driving any of the Macs in the rain/snow/winter - I do not hesitate in the TTS. I drive it year around - 15k+ miles a year and it handles enough luggage for me, my SO, and our small 20lb dog to get away for a week-long trip.

-Comfort on long drives - I am not the best one to answer this one as I do not own a Mac, BUT... I have been a driver and passenger in a 720S on multiple occaisions... - my ~1 hour as a driver in a Mac 720S was an experience! Competitive/sport driving on the open road was fun. The Mac 720S has extreme limits and can be driven to those limits. I assume your 750S would be even better. I have also spent a few ~1 hour long rides as a passenger in another 720S - and I am with my SO on this one. I would prefer to be a Porsche passenger than a Mac passenger. Hands down. I imagine longer drives (as either driver or passenger) in a Mac would only make me more convinced that the TTS was the right car for me.

Now... were I considering a GT3 / GT3RS / GT2RS vs a Mac... I might have gone with the Mac. Good luck with your purchase - whatever you decide! Nice first-world problem to have. ;}

Cheers,
L76

elvisdoc (09-13-2024)
Old 09-12-2024, 03:02 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,581 Likes on 2,601 Posts

My 992 TTS has Sport PASM. Ride quality isn’t that good, and a lot of tire roar. Wouldn’t be my choice for a long trip.
Old 09-12-2024, 03:10 PM
justshowup
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say you helped me decide, but damn, I'm still hesitating...

My SO didn't even want to get into a Mac in a miniskirt on date night...
That's actually a non issue (sadly ), I can count on one hand how many times she actually wanted to wear a miniskirt.

​​​​​​​I service ALL of my vehicles.
Wish I had the time for that. But yeah, reliability is my number one issue. Many say quality is up by a lot, but I'm still skeptical, and if I actually had to service/repair the car, ~300+ km seems a long drive.

​​​​​​​Luggage space - I use my TTS for dual purpose
Sort of that's my intended usage as well, and/or longer trips. Air conditioned seats sounds nice, and that's definitely a cool thing to have on a long trip. Rain/snow/winter is getting rare here, but on those very rare occasions I can take the Ioniq.

​​​​​​​and our small 20lb dog to get away for a week-long trip
That I didn't think about. We also have a small dog, and yeah, it's either my partner or the dog in the Mac. I mean the dog is lighter, so...

​​​​​​​I would prefer to be a Porsche passenger than a Mac passenger. Hands down.
Is it the seats? Or not enough space? Or just overall the Porsche feels better?
911Vintage (09-13-2024)
Old 09-12-2024, 03:49 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 1,268 Likes on 731 Posts

Porsche is going to be way way more reliable vs Mac.
The following 2 users liked this post by Angryinch:
elvisdoc (09-13-2024), SimJen (09-12-2024)
Old 09-12-2024, 03:57 PM
L76
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 58 Posts

I would say you helped me decide, but damn, I'm still hesitating...

That's actually a non issue (sadly ), I can count on one hand how many times she actually wanted to wear a miniskirt.

Wish I had the time for that. But yeah, reliability is my number one issue. Many say quality is up by a lot, but I'm still skeptical, and if I actually had to service/repair the car, ~300+ km seems a long drive.

Sort of that's my intended usage as well, and/or longer trips. Air conditioned seats sounds nice, and that's definitely a cool thing to have on a long trip. Rain/snow/winter is getting rare here, but on those very rare occasions I can take the Ioniq.

That I didn't think about. We also have a small dog, and yeah, it's either my partner or the dog in the Mac. I mean the dog is lighter, so...

Is it the seats? Or not enough space? Or just overall the Porsche feels better?
18-way adjustable seats. Seat "comfort" (surface/padding - granted these are NOT sport buckets that Mac has and are not as "supportive" for my track use). Seat heaters/cooling. Cabin space. Moon roof. Dual zone A/C and heater controls. Ionizer. Burmester. Ambient lighting and infotainment... and... and... and... TTS is a 2+2 and I do use it from time to time for the back seats/passengers... but mostly for seat down/cargo/dog.
BUT... I honestly might have gone with the Mac (vs a GT3 RS) had I been shopping for a track car. I just knew that I wanted a dual purpose car... and I wanted to drive it. ALOT.
Life is short. I drive my TTS every time I can. Tow the boat and trailer with the Cayenne S. Use my other cars for special occaisions/purpose (e.g. TTS is not my primary track car).

Good luck!

Cheers,
L76

Last edited by L76; 09-12-2024 at 04:00 PM.
elvisdoc (09-13-2024)
Old 09-12-2024, 10:07 PM
Ensoniq
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Just remember to roll your windows down when they pull your 720S over
-Tyrek Hill
The following 2 users liked this post by Ensoniq:
CZS (09-15-2024), elvisdoc (09-13-2024)
Old 09-12-2024, 10:23 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,516 Likes on 819 Posts

Originally Posted by Ensoniq
-Tyrek Hill
It's amazing how hard it is for some people to follow clear orders from law enforcement.......
The following 2 users liked this post by flsupraguy:
elvisdoc (09-13-2024), SODR (09-13-2024)
Old 09-13-2024, 12:12 AM
cavemanmoore
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

I strongly considered a 720S before ordering a 992 TTS. In the end, I picked a car that fit my intended use: mildly spirited drives up windy roads, a burst of quick acceleration here and there, and most importantly (for me anyway), extended weekend trips with my wife. After driving a 720S, I felt the 911 suited me better.
Old 09-13-2024, 07:42 PM
elvisdoc
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Ensoniq
-Tyrek Hill
He rolled them up, didn't get the memo. lolol
Old 09-13-2024, 08:20 PM
SODR
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Have a 765LT with a Stage II+ and it's very fast.
My 911 Turbo S with a Stage IV is all around the best!!!
Old 09-13-2024, 08:32 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,744 Likes on 974 Posts

I have had an extensive (50 mile) drive in a 750S Spyder yesterday and I came back blown away from the drive. This is the second spyder mclaren I drove and at this point, I drove everything they have except MP-12C, P1, 765LT and Senna. The handling, sound, ergonomics, how tightly the car was screwed together (no rattles, buzzing noises), the drop top experience are just hard to forget. It is so much better than 720S in sound, handling, feedback, and overall fit and finish (panel gaps, rattles, etc).

This is a car Porsche will NEVER make, its like most 911 trims to varying degrees in one car.

The level of change in personality between comfort, sport, and track chassis modes are unreal. In comfort mode, it is substantially better behaved than my 992 TTS and in track mode, it is probably 98% of stiffness and road feel to my 992 GT3RS. The brakes are unbelievable and the way car pulls in 4th gear is more than the way my TTS pulls in 2nd gear. I was also really surprised how nice the exhaust sounds with the rear window down or top down. Next, I was pretty impressed with how no to little wind buffeting there is up to 100 mph. This is so NOT the experience I had driving a 991 Speedster (only convertible 911 I tried). In deed, this was one of the reasons (as well as chassis flex) why I didnt buy one. Porsche's convertible (not sure if other models are the same) have tremendous wind noise even 60 mph.

I cannot really find faults with this car. Perhaps I wish the front end and rear spoiler could be configured to be like 765LT but its aggressive as it is. I may actually pull the trigger on this one guys!

There is no comparing this to TTS, it eats the road better, it is in a different league of speed and handling. I think GT3RS is still a better track car but it gives up SO MUCH usability at such a huge cost. While mclaren provides far nicer feedback in steering, Porsche's steering (in my GT3RS that is) is sharper, quicker ratio and that really helps in tight turns.

I dont understand why there are so many of them for sale with delivery miles. I reached out to a few mclaren dealers and they are asking for sticker for these cars. Are there deals to be had?

Last edited by 3-Pedals; 09-13-2024 at 08:36 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by 3-Pedals:
AlexCeres (09-15-2024), CZS (09-15-2024), gripenM (09-18-2024), Manifold (09-13-2024), SODR (09-13-2024)
Old 09-13-2024, 08:47 PM
SODR
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

My Turbo S, refined precision and with a Stage IV, very fast... daily driver if I want..etc.
My 765LT Stage II+ ...in your face, brutal track car... If you're more of a racer, track type guy.... get the 750S or 765LT...
Mclaren's CS is not the best. There's quirks about the mindset and engineering on the car.

Car doesn't see oil pressure, and other things... but it's insanely fast.... I'm outrunning Hyabusa's with it.
My .02
Old 09-13-2024, 08:48 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,744 Likes on 974 Posts

Originally Posted by SODR
My Turbo S, refined precision and with a Stage IV, very fast... daily driver if I want..etc.
My 765LT Stage II+ ...in your face, brutal track car... If you're more of a racer, track type guy.... get the 750S or 765LT...
Mclaren's CS is not the best. There's quirks about the mindset and engineering on the car.

Car doesn't see oil pressure, and other things... but it's insanely fast.... I'm outrunning Hyabusa's with it.
My .02
What do you mean it doesnt oil pressure?

What is CS?

Quick Reply: Mclaren surprised me a lot