Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

Mclaren surprised me a lot

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2023, 01:32 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,111 Likes on 4,906 Posts

Regardless of how Mclarens drive, or don't drive, or how reliable or not they are, I will say they have the best color palette out there.

Makes Porsche's offerings seem like a box of crayons next to the lipstick counter at Sephora.
The following 5 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
AlexCeres (09-02-2023), eclou (09-01-2023), heshalosny (09-10-2023), MaxLTV (09-01-2023), Patton250 (09-01-2023)
Old 09-01-2023, 05:18 AM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Received 754 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Regardless of how Mclarens drive, or don't drive, or how reliable or not they are, I will say they have the best color palette out there.

Makes Porsche's offerings seem like a box of crayons next to the lipstick counter at Sephora.
I’ll have to check out their color palettes now but I totally agree with you about Porsche. The choices they have suck.
Old 09-01-2023, 07:46 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,021 Likes on 2,292 Posts

Originally Posted by Patton250
I’ll have to check out their color palettes now but I totally agree with you about Porsche. The choices they have suck.
The choices have sucked for many years. Almost ever other manufacturer is better than Porsche when it comes to color choices.
Old 09-01-2023, 10:44 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

The more I think about it, the more I feel that McLarens and Porsches shouldn't really even be compared.

Porsche sports cars are basically non-GT and GT cars. The non-GT cars are reasonably comfortable, practical enough to be daily drivers, not too flashy in appearance, and fairly sporty, fun, and fast. The GT cars are basically non-GT cars which are modded to perform well on track, so they're somewhat less comfortable and practical, and a bit more flashy because of wings, vents, decals, etc. None of the Porsche sports cars are designed to be focused supercars for the road.

McLarens are all focused supercars for the road, and some of them are modded to also increase track performance (e.g., active aero). I would argue that they're not as comfortable as Porsches because of the lower seating position (though the ride quality is generally better than Porsches), not as practical because of less storage space, and obviously way more flashy in appearance (for many, that's a deal breaker for a daily driver).

If you're itching for a McLaren, a Porsche can't scratch that itch. If you're itching for a Porsche, a McLaren can't stratch that itch. But you can have both a McLaren and Porsche if you have both kinds of itches.

The only thing the 992 TTS has in common with a McLaren is the sense of being capable of being very fast on the road and track. But otherwise, the character of the cars is very different.

Last edited by Manifold; 09-01-2023 at 10:45 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Manifold:
heshalosny (09-10-2023), SB27 (09-04-2023)
Old 09-01-2023, 11:42 AM
Engro
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 156 Posts

Color or Colour could care less McLaren still don't do it for me. The design is just hard for me to accept regardless of the performance. i just don't see them as beautiful cars but I should add my view is subjective of course before McLaren drivers on a Porsche forum go mad. See what i did there? I made my point without bashing McLaren.

I am also not a flashy guy and even my son asked why not get a Lambo or a McLaren since your friend has one but that is not going to happen. The good thing is there is a car for everyone. No need to bash other cars like 3P to prove your point and make multiple threads about it.
Old 09-01-2023, 11:55 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Engro
Color or Colour could care less McLaren still don't do it for me. The design is just hard for me to accept regardless of the performance. i just don't see them as beautiful cars but I should add my view is subjective of course before McLaren drivers on a Porsche forum go mad. See what i did there? I made my point without bashing McLaren.

I am also not a flashy guy and even my son asked why not get a Lambo or a McLaren since your friend has one but that is not going to happen. The good thing is there is a car for everyone. No need to bash other cars like 3P to prove your point and make multiple threads about it.
I don't like to be in a car that draws attention either (because I often drive fast, otherwise why buy a fast car?!), but that's just the way it is with a supercar. One can at least choose a less flashy color to draw a little less attention. OTOH, I've found that flashy cars can generate some good conversations at gas stations. Here are some of my cars, in order of how much attention they draw:

The following 4 users liked this post by Manifold:
eclou (09-01-2023), heshalosny (09-10-2023), HOTCHKIS (09-01-2023), MaxLTV (09-01-2023)
Old 09-01-2023, 08:12 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 584 Posts

The Mclarens are all built off a core carbon fiber tub. Think about that. Its a completely different animal, a different level of engineering. I love my 911 turbos to death. I won't ever sell them. But i tip my cap to a manufacturer that will trickle down F1 tech to the (not so) common man lol
The following 4 users liked this post by eclou:
heshalosny (09-10-2023), HOTCHKIS (09-02-2023), Manifold (09-03-2023), rk-d (09-02-2023)
Old 09-01-2023, 09:14 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,176 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
The choices have sucked for many years. Almost ever other manufacturer is better than Porsche when it comes to color choices.
Nah, I once bought a 5-series BMW ~3 years ago, and they only had shades of gray and silver - no single actual "colour" was available. Now they also have one boring blue and one bluish black. Still no other colours. It's what people buy - for some reason, most people, at least in North America, think that non-gray colours are extravagant and borderline scandalous, just like the wing on GT3 . Auto manufacturers just go along with it.

Last edited by MaxLTV; 09-01-2023 at 09:16 PM.
Old 09-03-2023, 02:28 PM
928 GT R
Rennlist Member

Received 5,078 Likes on 1,963 Posts

Originally Posted by Patton250
I think you nailed it. I own a TTS and I’m picking up my second one next week. I have only driven one McLaren and that belonged to a friend of mine, and he let me beat the crap out of it.
Oh boy! You "Beat the crap out of it".

What kind of person beats the crap out of a friends car? What kind of person beats that crap out of anything?

Not anyone I would want to know...
Old 09-03-2023, 02:41 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,585 Likes on 879 Posts

I drove a 675LT. Big mistake, now everything I said in OP, turn it up to several notches in sound, performance, steering, chassis feedback, and the overall "specialness". What... a.... car.... just wow. It's like my GT3RS in terms of visceral and rawness except it has got much more power than TTS. I just could not believe the way this car sounded inside, you cannot tell it is turbocharged. It pulls like a mad men to a sky high 8500 rpm redline. Unreal. All you hear is the mechanical metallic valve train noise that I love so much in the 911 GT3s.

It is a bit too stiff though for my use case, very similar feel to the GT3RS - which is not what I am looking. Next is the 720S drive, now that has supposedly much more power and "pulls like a freight train" compared to the already insane 675LT I drove (as per the GSM). This 675LT weighs under 3000 lbs with full tank of gas and I can tell you I could absolutely tell the weight vs Artura (which itself was substantially lighter than a TTS). I think 675LT is in a different class in terms of chassis, weight, and performance that I am humbly going to admit even my mighty GT3RS is not part of. Oh boy, never thought I'd drive a car that would make me say these things about my own GT3RS.
The following 2 users liked this post by 3-Pedals:
AlexCeres (09-03-2023), heshalosny (09-10-2023)
Old 09-03-2023, 02:41 PM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Received 754 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by 928 GT R

What kind of person beats the crap out of a friends car? What kind of person beats that crap out of anything?

Little slow on today’s lingo eh? I can forgive that. You might want think a little bit first though next time before going straight for total slam. After all you do have the Internet to look things up. I’ll let my buddy know a total stranger on this forum was attempting to defend his honor and his car. Lol. Giant facepalm.
The following users liked this post:
Billy Bluejay (09-03-2023)
Old 09-03-2023, 04:02 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

In my limited experiences on the Mclaren forums it seems that the 675LT is revered as the peak Mclaren, possibly even more sought after than the 765LT
The following users liked this post:
heshalosny (09-10-2023)
Old 09-03-2023, 07:24 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
I drove a 675LT. Big mistake, now everything I said in OP, turn it up to several notches in sound, performance, steering, chassis feedback, and the overall "specialness". What... a.... car.... just wow. It's like my GT3RS in terms of visceral and rawness except it has got much more power than TTS. I just could not believe the way this car sounded inside, you cannot tell it is turbocharged. It pulls like a mad men to a sky high 8500 rpm redline. Unreal. All you hear is the mechanical metallic valve train noise that I love so much in the 911 GT3s.

It is a bit too stiff though for my use case, very similar feel to the GT3RS - which is not what I am looking. Next is the 720S drive, now that has supposedly much more power and "pulls like a freight train" compared to the already insane 675LT I drove (as per the GSM). This 675LT weighs under 3000 lbs with full tank of gas and I can tell you I could absolutely tell the weight vs Artura (which itself was substantially lighter than a TTS). I think 675LT is in a different class in terms of chassis, weight, and performance that I am humbly going to admit even my mighty GT3RS is not part of. Oh boy, never thought I'd drive a car that would make me say these things about my own GT3RS.
I suggest that you take your time choosing a car. Be realistic about how you’ll use the car and how fast you can safely drive it on the roads accessible to you. Consider what niches the car will fill relative to the other cars you have. Try the imagine what the experience of driving the car will be over thousands of miles of driving, rather than judging only from the excitement of driving unfamiliar cars during test drives.
Old 09-03-2023, 08:55 PM
Billy Bluejay
Racer

Received 189 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I suggest that you take your time choosing a car. Be realistic about how you’ll use the car and how fast you can safely drive it on the roads accessible to you. Consider what niches the car will fill relative to the other cars you have. Try the imagine what the experience of driving the car will be over thousands of miles of driving, rather than judging only from the excitement of driving unfamiliar cars during test drives.
I think you make a great point about the excitement of driving unfamiliar cars.
Old 09-04-2023, 07:36 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 928 GT R

A certain friend of mine invited me out to LA to ride in his P1. He wanted to show me a few laps in Buttonwillow. Picked me up at LAX in the Cosmic Sunrise P1 - no joke - and we drove straight to Buttonwillow. I figured he would take me on a couple of parade laps and it would be light and calm. Not a chance. He owned just about every lap record on the West Coast in either that P1 or his Viper ACR. It was apparent from the first warm-up lap that he was out to re-achieve the record with each lap. Late braking, passing in turns, and just nauseating G forces in every direction. After a few laps of that he wanted me to take the wheel. I'm no pro-level driver like him but I did my best to push this spaceship to my limits, with me doing a 360 spin in T14(?) or so. I thought he was going to freak out. Instead he demaded I get back on it lol since I kept the car on track. I was just imagining what my State Farm agent would have said if I had seriously gone-off. I would say we drove that car as it was intended to be driven

Last edited by eclou; 09-04-2023 at 07:45 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by eclou:
AlexCeres (09-05-2023), Calbenzo (09-04-2023), cavemanmoore (09-07-2023), heshalosny (09-10-2023), mashoutposse (09-05-2023), Mlarco52 (09-04-2023), Patton250 (09-04-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: Mclaren surprised me a lot