Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

FitcamX Dashcam installed

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2024, 02:05 PM
melhechi
Banned

Received 175 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikster
I figured I would add a little to the original post on this thread.
I also installed this on a Porsche 992, hardwired to fuse box and both front and rear.
Wow...it really looks OEM. No one can tell you've got a dash cam.
The install for this particular model wasn't as easy as it seems in the FitcamX Youtube video. The steps were indeed the same and the steps on Post #1 in this thread are bang on, but the act of removing the plastic rear-view mirror adjacent pieces is delicate while trying not to break tabs. Twisting the rear-view mirror itself off is indeed a must on a 992--and it requires good firm pressure.
If you do get the hardwire version, be aware that you'll have one or two wires (2 if you also choose a rear-cam) that need to get positioned in such a way as to not interfere with the plastic pieces you are removing. This is definitely a tight squeeze, versus simply plugging into the rain sensor.
Other than that, the remainder of the install is pretty straightforward. The option fuse-box harness is very good and can be customized if you're handy with wiring and need to do something bespoke to connect it to the fuse box.
In my case, the rear dash cam needed install onto tint. Since I didn't want to directly apply the rear dashcam's 3M VHB tape onto the tint, I first installed a small strip of clear cling-film. In turn, the dash cam 3M tape is applied to this cling film. Holds very securely.
The Fitcamx itself works fine. A nice bright picture, both front and back, and the requisite resolution needed. The software also works well, without any bells and complicated whistles.
At the end of the day, it's the OEM look you may be going for--and for this, FitcamX can't be beat.
And the customer service is very good--they respond quickly, despite being in China.

Dashcam hard-wire being tie-wrapped to the cabling, behind the A-pillar trim and air bag. This routes right down into the passenger fuse box.

Driver-side view of mirror, before install.

Driver-side view of mirror, after install.

Passenger-side view of mirror, after install.

Rear dash cam installed.

M
Looks Super Neat!
The following users liked this post:
Mikster (06-11-2024)
Old 06-11-2024, 02:12 PM
Mikster
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikster
@jaftts After several months, no issues here as well. No battery issues either. I've checked the video once in a while and it's still good, both rear and front.
One thing--the mfg claims it can record AUDIO. There's even an audio check-box in the software. I checked-it, but I didn't hear anything on playback. I'm working with the mfg to troubleshoot.

M
Oh yeah, and it does indeed record audio, although you can turn that feature off. It's great to hear what's happening in the cabin while you are driving!

M
Old 06-11-2024, 05:39 PM
Scott P
Rennlist Member

Received 3,182 Likes on 1,361 Posts

I want to get one to record laps on the track at Watkins Glen. It looks like it takes an SD card on passenger side so I imagine the capacity of the card you use dictates how much video will be taken? Or does the app allow you to download the videos to your phone for viewing later. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-11-2024, 05:45 PM
Mikster
Racer

Originally Posted by Scott P
I want to get one to record laps on the track at Watkins Glen. It looks like it takes an SD card on passenger side so I imagine the capacity of the card you use dictates how much video will be taken? Or does the app allow you to download the videos to your phone for viewing later. Thanks in advance.
Yes, it's a standard micro-SD card. Any capacity you want. I've got a 64gb.
And you can download to phone, but easier if you just plug the SD card directly into your laptop and grab the files from there.

M
Old 06-11-2024, 05:52 PM
Scott P
Rennlist Member

Does it continue recording for as long as you have available memory? I'm thinking multiple laps, 20-25 mins. worth.
Old 06-11-2024, 06:40 PM
PLYR007
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Does it continue recording for as long as you have available memory? I'm thinking multiple laps, 20-25 mins. worth.
itll keep recording indefinitely and delete old videos when the memory is full. Also there is a folder it’ll save to when it detects sudden shock like a collision so you have to make sure to delete that every now and then because it won’t auto delete.

I think 64gb can do like 10hrs worth. It records in 3min segments but I think there’s a setting change for that. You can use a sandisk 256gb card but it has to be the fastest one.
The following users liked this post:
Scott P (06-11-2024)
Old 06-11-2024, 07:03 PM
Scott P
Rennlist Member

thanks for taking the time to answer my noob questions @PLYR007 & @Mikster
The following 2 users liked this post by Scott P:
Mikster (06-11-2024), PLYR007 (06-12-2024)
Old 06-12-2024, 10:17 AM
Woofman
Burning Brakes

Received 527 Likes on 321 Posts

I bought a 128GB Sandisk Extreme Pro for the Fitcamx in my Cayenne and set it to record in 1 minute increments in 4K. IIRC, 128GB is the largest capacity card that can be used. The 128GB card will hold almost exactly 12 hours of front camera videos at 4K before it starts overwriting the oldest ones ... less if you also have a rear Fitcamx camera. The rear camera records at a lower maximum density - 1080P.

You can set the front Fitcamx to record at lower than 4K but 4K provides the clearest videos and can usually capture license plate numbers.

I don't find it very practical to view videos using the Fitcamx app on my phone since it takes a minute or two to download each video since the FTCAMX's WiFi isn't very fast. If I want to view more than one or two videos, I pull the memory card from the Fitcamx and view the videos on a laptop PC via it's memory card slot.

It's a great product but I wish it could show speed and GPS location on the videos and had a faster WiFi.

Old 06-13-2024, 12:29 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 731 Likes on 534 Posts

Amazing that dash cams come with stock packages on a $50K Toyota Highlander for less cost and time......
Old 06-13-2024, 12:39 PM
pbcsd
Racer

Received 142 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by abiazis
Amazing that dash cams come with stock packages on a $50K Toyota Highlander for less cost and time......
Well, my 992 C4S that was CAD$170k or thereabouts (used!) didn't have power side view mirrors as standard...I didn't even think to look as I just assumed every car in the world above a certain price comes with them, let a lone a 2 door high end vehicle. But I digress.

Are folks generally pretty happy with these? What are the "cons" of the unit?

Old 06-19-2024, 11:11 AM
Nashvegas
Racer

Received 126 Likes on 80 Posts

I'll speak to "cons". Note I don't have a 992, but a 991.

It completely blocks the sat nav GPS signal on my 991.1. # of satellites goes right to 0 as soon as the FitcamX is on. I messaged them, to their credit, they were reponsive, intelligently communicated and sent me a "better shielded cable" which I then installed and made no difference. Factory 991.1 GPS antenna is upper right of the mirror -- mounted to windshield, so above and slightly to the right of the FitcamX.

Normal behavior on my 991.1 with PCM 3.1 is anywhere between 6 and 12 or so satellites.

Sadly I've removed the FitcamX. After the cable didn't solve it I didn't contact them and didn't try to get a refund. It's not that important and I think they're in China - what am I going to ship it back? (no)

The reality is... I need the GPS signal so that I can have roads appear in the little round MFI map screen to the right of the tach. When driving mountain roads with blind corners, I find it invaluable to know which way the next curve is / how sharp, etc. Used it constantly on a road rally last weekend. I do not like looking down at the nav screen or iPhone to see the road curves coming up.

The good - FitcamX works well and I've had one on my 991 for a few months. App isn't glitchy. Looks nice behind the rear view mirror, even almost factory. Good quality plastic housing it seems.

But blocking GPS signal is a non starter for me.

Last edited by Nashvegas; 06-19-2024 at 11:14 AM.
Old 06-19-2024, 12:16 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,214 Likes on 595 Posts

Doesn't block GPS on our 992's. I wonder if there is some other issue going on?
Old 06-19-2024, 12:25 PM
Mikster
Racer

Originally Posted by eclou
Doesn't block GPS on our 992's. I wonder if there is some other issue going on?
Yeah, doesn't block on mine either.
However there is a thread on RL about using little round ferrite coils on the cable, placed at the fusebox end or the FitCamX end, to reduce unwanted electromagnetic interference.

M
Old 06-27-2024, 07:54 AM
hellofish
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CapitanoAR
Good morning everyone,

I hope someone can help me.

I mounted the fitcamx on my 992. All went well and it was easy.

12v permanent, ground and switched 12v. I took this from the prewired options. All fine so far.

I simply can’t connect to camera Wi-Fi with my iPhone. I tried all what is described in the faq manual. sd card out, reset, bt off etc..

….nothing worked!!

The cam shows a few secs the red led light once I push the on/off button.

I finally tried a second fitcamx , same here. I even connected to external 12v power.

I have no idea what else to try. I simply can’t find the WiFi signal!!!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Hi Capitano - were you able to find a solution to this issue?

Also, could you please explain how you were able to tap into the existing pre-wire to connect the Fitcamx? I know that there are other discussions about using that pre-wiring generally, but was hoping to see how it was done specifically for the Fitcamx and if any additional parts were necessary.

Finalky, any additional thoughts on the camera now that you’ve had it for a while?

Thanks very much!
Old 06-30-2024, 04:52 AM
hellofish
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hellofish
Hi Capitano - were you able to find a solution to this issue?

Also, could you please explain how you were able to tap into the existing pre-wire to connect the Fitcamx? I know that there are other discussions about using that pre-wiring generally, but was hoping to see how it was done specifically for the Fitcamx and if any additional parts were necessary.

Finalky, any additional thoughts on the camera now that you’ve had it for a while?

Thanks very much!
Or does anybody know how to connect the Fitcamx to the Porsche pre-wire? Thanks very much.

Quick Reply: FitcamX Dashcam installed