Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

FitcamX Dashcam installed

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2024, 04:20 PM
Daft Chief
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 86 Posts

Does factory pre-wiring option make the hardwire install any easier? I understand it's a proprietary connector and would require some work to setup aftermarket.
Old 07-10-2024, 10:49 AM
cooky01
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Nashvegas
I'll speak to "cons". Note I don't have a 992, but a 991.

It completely blocks the sat nav GPS signal on my 991.1. # of satellites goes right to 0 as soon as the FitcamX is on. I messaged them, to their credit, they were reponsive, intelligently communicated and sent me a "better shielded cable" which I then installed and made no difference. Factory 991.1 GPS antenna is upper right of the mirror -- mounted to windshield, so above and slightly to the right of the FitcamX.

Normal behavior on my 991.1 with PCM 3.1 is anywhere between 6 and 12 or so satellites.

Sadly I've removed the FitcamX. After the cable didn't solve it I didn't contact them and didn't try to get a refund. It's not that important and I think they're in China - what am I going to ship it back? (no)

The reality is... I need the GPS signal so that I can have roads appear in the little round MFI map screen to the right of the tach. When driving mountain roads with blind corners, I find it invaluable to know which way the next curve is / how sharp, etc. Used it constantly on a road rally last weekend. I do not like looking down at the nav screen or iPhone to see the road curves coming up.

The good - FitcamX works well and I've had one on my 991 for a few months. App isn't glitchy. Looks nice behind the rear view mirror, even almost factory. Good quality plastic housing it seems.

But blocking GPS signal is a non starter for me.
Did your FitcamX turn itself off after turning off the engine of your 991?
Mine wouldn't turn off no matter what I try, and I'm curious if this is model dependent issue.
Two other 992 users so far have confirmed their FitcamX don't exhibit this behavior.
Old 07-10-2024, 11:01 AM
Mikster
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Daft Chief
Does factory pre-wiring option make the hardwire install any easier? I understand it's a proprietary connector and would require some work to setup aftermarket.
Probably does...you don't have to run long cables to the fuse box!
Just tap into the pre-wire. Sure, there's probably a proprietary connector so you'd have to find a harness somewhere..or just tap in to the wire itself behind the pre-wire harness.

M

Quick Reply: FitcamX Dashcam installed