FitcamX Dashcam installed

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2023, 11:31 AM
Marties
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eclou
Yes wired directly to rain sensor.

I have not tried the impact thing yet. I guess I can lock the car in the garage and then give it a nudge about 30 min later sometime

Thanks for the confirmation
Old 07-03-2023, 11:33 AM
Marties
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wingless
The Fitcamx w/ the optional direct wire fuse panel kit permits monitoring / recording parking lot impacts.

The installation of that aspect is just like every other vehicle wiring update, use the included tuck tool for routing.

Every single camera system (including the Porsche camera system) have optical artifacts. All of them are caused by a “horizontal” camera looking through a steeply angled glass. These optics result in faint reflections of stuff like the defroster vents.

The only way to attain “perfect” images is to have an external camera.

The specs and the images for all the camera systems are virtually identical. My prior reply has links and example images.

Makes sense, I am not more clear about all this.
On my side, the routing may be a bit difficult taken the fact it's a Targa, so the cable should go from the bottom, and there is no fixed glass to stick the rear cam.
Old 07-03-2023, 09:56 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Marties
On my side, the routing may be a bit difficult taken the fact it's a Targa, so the cable should go from the bottom, and there is no fixed glass to stick the rear cam.
Not yet intimately familiar w/ the Targa (probably a year still on my wait list).

Isn't there already electrical stuff at the rear view mirror? Assuming there is, then the wiring is routed underneath plastic covers, with attached back side metal clips, snapped into slots on the window frame.

The typical way to route wires is using a plastic trim pry tool to create a gap, then tucking, instead of fully removing the trim. There is already a tool included w/ the Fitcamx. I also have my own trim tool kit that I use instead.

For the rear camera, w/ the Targa, couldn't that attach hanging down from the rear of the Targa bar, looking out the rear glass? It looks like just below the Targa bar weatherstrip seal could work.

Last edited by wingless; 07-03-2023 at 09:58 PM.
Old 07-04-2023, 11:30 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 622 Likes on 341 Posts

On my targa we had it affixed to the glass, I would have to locate the old pics but it was trick and worked perfectly.
Old 07-08-2023, 05:02 PM
Norge911
Rennlist Member

Received 558 Likes on 371 Posts

PTS - you may be interested in Owl cam. It will record while parked and send data to your phone before it is stolen. Require subscription

Last edited by Norge911; 07-08-2023 at 05:53 PM.
Old 07-08-2023, 06:29 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Norge911
PTS - you may be interested in Owl cam. It will record while parked and send data to your phone before it is stolen. Require subscription

They went out of business in 2020 but thanks for thinking of me
Old 07-08-2023, 07:22 PM
Norge911
Rennlist Member

Just installed my fit cam in my Panamera ST turbo. Been sitting in garage as we had 103F here. A little rain last few days and temp is 96F. Still require break to cool off halfway.

This was very helpful. Couple of tips.
1. when unplugging the mirror, notice orientation
2. the tabs for the safety lanyard, on my car they are push pins, so take a small screwdriver and go between head and first black ring, head should slide out and you can pull out. Push back in on reinstalling and push in head to secure.
3. I plugged in camera before I attached mirror, gave more room. Then re-attached mirror.
4. at this point, I checked to see it it worked before I continued, ie with center and main cover.

Last edited by Norge911; 07-08-2023 at 08:25 PM.
Old 07-08-2023, 07:23 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Norge: can you confirm it does not record while parked..
Old 07-08-2023, 07:35 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
Norge: can you confirm it does not record while parked..
There are tiny recessed blinking LED indicators on the driver's side of the housing, showing when recording is active.

Mine are covered w/ black electrical tape to decrease the chance of being noticed.

Otherwise, those are REALLY handy when setting the threshold for parking impact sensitivity.
Old 07-08-2023, 07:46 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,189 Likes on 582 Posts

Otherwise, those are REALLY handy when setting the threshold for parking impact sensitivity.

Is it adjustable?
Old 07-08-2023, 07:48 PM
Norge911
Rennlist Member

PTS
it does not appear so. When I walked up to car after parked for 15 min, no network. When I opened passenger door, key inside house, I got network after a few seconds. So, it appear car need a jolt big enough to activate power for camera to start recording.
here are instructions.

but offending party can also just break window, get in car and recover SD card…..

Last edited by Norge911; 07-08-2023 at 07:55 PM.
Old 07-08-2023, 07:51 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

This is expected. If you install the fast way and tap mirror, there is no power when car is turned off and parked. If you tap the fuse box, the hard way, then you get recording while parked.
Old 07-08-2023, 10:46 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by eclou
Is it adjustable?
Originally Posted by Norge911
PTS

it does not appear so. When I walked up to car after parked for 15 min, no network. When I opened passenger door, key inside house, I got network after a few seconds. So, it appear car need a jolt big enough to activate power for camera to start recording...
This is expected. If you install the fast way and tap mirror, there is no power when car is turned off and parked. If you tap the fuse box, the hard way, then you get recording while parked.
The Fitcamx camera system has three shock levels for Driving Collision Sensing and for Parking Monitor Collision Detection (Low / Middle / High) that may be selected for each operational mode.

Yes, the parking impact detection requires +12VDC unswitched (yellow wire), plus the +12VDC switched (red wire) and ground (black wire), attained by using the optional direct wire fuse panel kit, not available when using the provided short wye cable

Fortunately, the vehicle off parking impact sensor current draw has been measured and is less than 1mA, so that will not cause any operational problems, such as inability to start the vehicle.
Old 07-08-2023, 11:06 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

So, to repeat my own thoughts... the only thing this camera offers that others do not is a more OEM factory installation. If you want to get full functionality, you need to hardwire it just like every other high end dash cam. On the negative side, the image quality of the FitcamX is average to poor at best. You cannot make out license plates, low light images are poor and overall resolution is poor.

Is it better than having nothing? Yes. But if someone keys your car in a lot or if someone side swipes or rear ends you when the car is parked, you got nothing unless it's A. Hardwired and B. you buy an additional rear camera.

This one is not for me.
Old 07-08-2023, 11:25 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

So, to repeat my own thoughts... the only thing this camera offers that others do not is a more OEM factory installation.
Correct. The Fitcamx configuration should be offered by Porsche instead of their existing horrible industrial design.

If you want to get full functionality, you need to hardwire it just like every other high end dash cam.
Correct. Fortunately it is "easy" for anyone w/ normal car wiring skills to tuck the wire from the mirror to the fuse panel.

On the negative side, the image quality of the FitcamX is average to poor at best. You cannot make out license plates, low light images are poor and overall resolution is poor.
Sorry, incorrect. The Fitcamx resolution and image quality are virtually identical to all other options.

For every single real world image I've examined from all manufacturers they ALL suffer exactly the same / expected artifacts. The artifacts are minor faint reflections showing things like the dashboard defroster vents in the front view images. Also the rear defroster wires show up in the images. Those reflections are expected because the windshield has a severe slope and the camera is horizontal. Unless the intent for the dash camera is to create an IMAX film, then those reflections are unimportant.

WRT to a critically important function, obtaining the nearby vehicle license plate in a readable image, I was also incorrectly disappointed when attempting to get the plate characters from the image. Once I figured out how to get a full resolution image from the video stream I realized that the Fitcamx camera system is virtually identical to all other options.

Quick Reply: FitcamX Dashcam installed