Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

Trading in a 2021 992 Turbo for a 2023 992 Turbo S

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2022, 10:34 AM
Modern Growl
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
I didn’t say that. I said sticker for sticker.

Honestly, do you want opinions or do you just want people to reaffirm your choice? If you’re happy with your deal then good, but I don’t think it’s a great one. Again, just my opinion. Obviously some disagree and that’s fine.
it sounds like you're more bitter towards dealers and most. Do you think it's fair to the dealer to take in a 2 year old model with miles on, and hand me a new one - both at MSRP?

Unreasonable.

It sounds like you echo the crowd that wants all dealers to take it on the chin.

If you owned the car dealership I am 100% positive you would not do this deal for other people.

In a normal world cars depreciate anywhere from 15 o 20%. I'm only taking a 7% depreciation.

Last edited by Modern Growl; 06-18-2022 at 10:40 AM.
Old 06-18-2022, 10:40 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,503 Likes on 2,826 Posts

Originally Posted by mdgrwl
it sounds like you're more bitter towards dealers and most. Do you think it's fair to the dealer to take in a 2 year old model with miles on, and hand me a new one - both at MSRP?

Unreasonable.

It sounds like you echo the crowd that wants all dealers to take it on the chin.

If you owned the car dealership I am 100% positive you would not do this deal for other people.

In a normal world cars depreciate anywhere from 10 to 20%. I'm only taking a 7% depreciation.

lol, ok dude. You clearly don’t want opinions. You think a dealer taking sticker for sticker is “taking it on the chin”.

I have a very good relationship with my dealer that has been mutually beneficial over the years, but whatever. Enjoy your car.

Last edited by rk-d; 06-18-2022 at 10:47 AM.
Old 06-18-2022, 11:06 AM
RCorsa
Pro

Received 438 Likes on 197 Posts

I just sold my 2021 turbo s for $50,000 over MSRP. Sold it on eBay in 3 hours. I’m putting my profits towards a new f8 that’s in production. I think your dealer is killing it with this deal as that’s potentially a $64,000 delta no to mention their profit on the new turbo S.
The following 3 users liked this post by RCorsa:
abiazis (06-23-2022), alibo70 (06-20-2022), shrimp money (06-18-2022)
Old 06-18-2022, 11:15 AM
Modern Growl
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by RCorsa
I just sold my 2021 turbo s for $50,000 over MSRP. Sold it on eBay in 3 hours. I’m putting my profits towards a new f8 that’s in production. I think your dealer is killing it with this deal as that’s potentially a $64,000 delta no to mention their profit on the new turbo S.
If I were trading for a base Macan, Id agree. But its the more desirable S version of the same car. So if they can make a killing on my Turbo, they can on the Turbo S as well. Its balanced IMO.
Old 06-18-2022, 11:38 AM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,504 Likes on 964 Posts

Unreasonable.

In a normal world cars depreciate anywhere from 15 o 20%. I'm only taking a 7% depreciation.
I've heard some garbage s** from dealers the last few months, trust me. If anybody has any stories, it's me. It's not that I disagree with MSRP+ a markup, it's the excessive markups that I find offensive.
Example- I know my 991.2 TTS value is inflated...but I also know that new cars are inflated. Are they evenly inflated? The answer to this question is NO. My car is probably $25k inflated in trade. To me that is the most I'm willing to pay on a markup, plain and simple.
Old 06-18-2022, 11:44 AM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,504 Likes on 964 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
lol, ok dude. You clearly don’t want opinions. You think a dealer taking sticker for sticker is “taking it on the chin”.

I have a very good relationship with my dealer that has been mutually beneficial over the years, but whatever. Enjoy your car.
The dealers are killing it. It's margin on top of margin. And all they are at this point is an auction house middleman.
Old 06-18-2022, 12:59 PM
Raleigh Mann
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

Unreasonable.

cars can and do, Porsche’s do not at that rate - at least not 911s. Single digit annual depreciation is normal for Porsche’s when kept in the usual shape with the expected lower mileage. So your depreciation is about right and not special although in this market who knows what you’d get elsewhere.

if this trade excites you then you are perfectly set
Old 06-18-2022, 01:11 PM
Charles7970
Instructor

Received 159 Likes on 48 Posts

Remember also if you sell it privately you lose your tax credit towards the new vehicle.
Old 06-18-2022, 01:35 PM
rhr992c4s
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 244 Posts

I think it’s a very fair deal, not a steal or overly generous deal. I like to think about it as getting 14k below msrp for the trade and getting a Turbo S for MSRP. That’s well below market for the Turbo S so it’s fair to let the dealer make profit on the Turbo trade. Also, 14k depreciation is not bad for owning a Turbo for two years. With what is going on with interest rates and financial markets, the market could shift for the dealer by the time the 2023 arrives. Do you have to turn over your car now on a pre-trade or do you get to keep it until the 2023 arrives? MSRP for MSRP would be a steal for the OP , it means he drove the Turbo for free and then gets the new car below market value.
The following users liked this post:
angel486 (06-21-2022)
Old 06-18-2022, 01:42 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rhr992c4s
I think it’s a very fair deal, not a steal or overly generous deal. I like to think about it as getting 14k below msrp for the trade and getting a Turbo S for MSRP. That’s well below market for the Turbo S so it’s fair to let the dealer make profit on the Turbo trade. Also, 14k depreciation is not bad for owning a Turbo for two years. With what is going on with interest rates and financial markets, the market could shift for the dealer by the time the 2023 arrives. Do you have to turn over your car now on a pre-trade or do you get to keep it until the 2023 arrives? MSRP for MSRP would be a steal for the OP , it means he drove the Turbo for free and then gets the new car below market value.
Keep in mind there are folks who drove their car and sold it later for a substantial profit.

Sticker for sticker, the dealer will still make a profit on the trade in and he’ll get a healthy standard margin on the TTS. Could he make more squeezing the customer? Of course. But if the customer is a long term client then a good dealer plays the long game.

Porsche customers have seemingly normalized the ADM practice and that’s a shame. It’s accepted as SOP, but there are dealers out there who don’t do this BS. It’s important to remember that.

Last edited by rk-d; 06-18-2022 at 01:46 PM.
Old 06-18-2022, 02:02 PM
rhr992c4s
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 244 Posts

I understand rk-d , but the OP is in a profit position on the new car out of the gate. Turbo S is more desirable than Turbo. Do you expect dealer to let him drive Turbo free for 2 years and then immediately put him into a profit position on the new car? Maybe that would happen for an extremely good customer with very very long history. I just think the deal is somewhat reasonable.

I’m in Canada and the dealers are not selling new unregistered cars above MSRP, but they are playing games with “used” cars that have 100kms on the clock & warranty ticking. They are mostly making their profit on the trades (ie. you have to take a not great trade in offer to get a car at MSRP)

Also, tax rate in BC Canada is 26%… so over here not many people sold their car for cash and made profit…. because you don’t get the tax back. All you can do is roll your equity and profit into another car if you want to retain the tax value.
Old 06-18-2022, 02:21 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rhr992c4s
I understand rk-d , but the OP is in a profit position on the new car out of the gate. Turbo S is more desirable than Turbo. Do you expect dealer to let him drive Turbo free for 2 years and then immediately put him into a profit position on the new car? Maybe that would happen for an extremely good customer with very very long history. I just think the deal is somewhat reasonable.

I’m in Canada and the dealers are not selling new unregistered cars above MSRP, but they are playing games with “used” cars that have 100kms on the clock & warranty ticking. They are mostly making their profit on the trades (ie. you have to take a not great trade in offer to get a car at MSRP)

Also, tax rate in BC Canada is 26%… so over here not many people sold their car for cash and made profit…. because you don’t get the tax back. All you can do is roll your equity and profit into another car if you want to retain the tax value.
Look - I have no axe to grind here. I actually don’t really give a sh*t 😉

The bottom line is that the OP probably has no real say so in the matter. He wants a TTS and this is the deal that’s offered. Good deal or not, it doesn’t really matter. There are probably no options or competing offers. He can take it or leave it - maybe with some trivial adjustments here or there. At the end of the day, it’s better to just eat it and enjoy life. Not everything can be a bargain.

I recently bought a M2 Competition. I didn’t get a “good deal” on it. It was the color, condition and mileage that I wanted, so I was willing to probably pay more than “better” deals out there. And that’s fine - I accept it. Same situation with OP’s deal, IMO.
Mercuriell (07-12-2022)
Old 06-18-2022, 03:01 PM
RCorsa
Pro

Received 438 Likes on 197 Posts

Ironically he may not be in that good of a position in 2023. Car values are likely to continue to fall and we may be back to MSRP or lower pricing in late 2023 or 2024. I actually think we are at the peak right now so he’d likely go better selling the car on his own now, malign a good profit (as I did) and buying in 2 years
abiazis (06-23-2022)
Old 06-18-2022, 03:13 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,919 Likes on 5,196 Posts

Bottom line, really, is who cares.

As long as the OP is happy with the deal he got, that's all that really matters.

It's his money, his car. And his life.

What anybody says here in the peanut gallery is, at end of the day, just white noise.
Old 06-18-2022, 03:25 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Bottom line, really, is who cares.

As long as the OP is happy with the deal he got, that's all that really matters.

It's his money, his car. And his life.

What anybody says here in the peanut gallery is, at end of the day, just white noise.
I agree. But he did ask for opinions.

Odds are he’ll end up on the financially losing side of this deal (of course on a long enough timeline, that’s usually the case for most cars). If he builds a keeper that’s the car of his dreams - who’s to say that he really lost? That’s probably how I’d look at it.

The only way this would be a true loss is if he skimped on the build.

Last edited by rk-d; 06-18-2022 at 03:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Trading in a 2021 992 Turbo for a 2023 992 Turbo S