Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

Help the stupid: Allocations

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2021, 01:58 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Help the stupid: Allocations

In full disclosure, I've not ordered a Porsche since 2000 when I ordered a Boxster and I never remember the word "allocation" coming up. I've always bought newsed, and rather enjoyed that hunt. Given the current market, I was considering buying a 992 TT-S new because it seemingly would not depreciate a ton due to how few there are/will be. My dealer called me yesterday and said they have an allocation that I can have for a TTS. Is that a build slot at some time way out in the future? I didn't want to look stupid in person, so I'd rather look stupid here.

Does that mean it's immediately order-able? Do I need to work on trade value now? Do I make a deposit? I figure that I can probably get top dollar now for my 991 TTS, so perhaps even if it is way out in the future, it may be worth it do something now.

Thanks for any insight!
Old 07-31-2021, 02:25 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,515 Likes on 2,830 Posts

Originally Posted by CincyScott
In full disclosure, I've not ordered a Porsche since 2000 when I ordered a Boxster and I never remember the word "allocation" coming up. I've always bought newsed, and rather enjoyed that hunt. Given the current market, I was considering buying a 992 TT-S new because it seemingly would not depreciate a ton due to how few there are/will be. My dealer called me yesterday and said they have an allocation that I can have for a TTS. Is that a build slot at some time way out in the future? I didn't want to look stupid in person, so I'd rather look stupid here.

Does that mean it's immediately order-able? Do I need to work on trade value now? Do I make a deposit? I figure that I can probably get top dollar now for my 991 TTS, so perhaps even if it is way out in the future, it may be worth it do something now.

Thanks for any insight!
An allocation is a confirmed build slot. Usually for delivery several months in the future.

If you were offered an allocation, you better act fast because it could be gone by now if you haven’t committed.
Old 07-31-2021, 05:16 PM
ss2z06
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 62 Posts

While on the subject when do dealerships find out their allocations?
Old 07-31-2021, 09:11 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,906 Likes on 1,540 Posts

Dealers should all have their fourth quarter allocations now, have had them for several weeks already. I saw the 911 Q4 allocation email at my local dealer. It's broken down by every sub-model, and it had an depressing number of "0"'s in it, as in they are simply not getting many 911s at all, let alone the more desirable sub-models.

What does a salesperson really mean when they say they have an 'allocation' for you? IMHO, that better be a known allocation slot that they are willing to assign to you, which currently would mean a no later than Q4 allocation build slot, with Q1 or possibly Q2 2022 delivery date.

As for deposits, that varies dealer to dealer. My dealer doesn't take deposits and is highly ethical in how they do business. Swing a cat and you can probably find a dealer that isn't so trustworthy...

Last edited by pfbz; 07-31-2021 at 09:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CincyScott (07-31-2021)
Old 07-31-2021, 09:57 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pfbz
Dealers should all have their fourth quarter allocations now, have had them for several weeks already. I saw the 911 Q4 allocation email at my local dealer. It's broken down by every sub-model, and it had an depressing number of "0"'s in it, as in they are simply not getting many 911s at all, let alone the more desirable sub-models.

What does a salesperson really mean when they say they have an 'allocation' for you? IMHO, that better be a known allocation slot that they are willing to assign to you, which currently would mean a no later than Q4 allocation build slot, with Q1 or possibly Q2 2022 delivery date.

As for deposits, that varies dealer to dealer. My dealer doesn't take deposits and is highly ethical in how they do business. Swing a cat and you can probably find a dealer that isn't so trustworthy...
My dealer got their allocations as well. A few Carreras - I think one S. Some Cayenne GTS's. No TTS, No GT3, No GTS.
Old 07-31-2021, 10:59 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

I went and talked to them today. They have one TT-S slot and I was next on the waiting list. They made me a terrible offer on my 991.1 TTS, so I have to decide if I want to sell it outright or futz around with them some more.

All cars at MSRP which I expected.
Old 07-31-2021, 11:12 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,906 Likes on 1,540 Posts

I went and talked to them today. They have one TT-S slot and I was next on the waiting list. They made me a terrible offer on my 991.1 TTS, so I have to decide if I want to sell it outright or futz around with them some more.
I'm sure you would have no problem getting a strong offer on the TTS yourself, though it does puzzle me why the Turbo S, far and away the best 911 for anyone who does less than a dozen track days a year, doesn't get even more love. GT3's are through the roof, Turbo's are simply up a fair bit. .One reason I suspect so many GT3's are low mileage is they really just aren't a goot fit for most buyers despite their cool looks.

Last edited by pfbz; 07-31-2021 at 11:13 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by pfbz:
chance6 (08-01-2021), CincyScott (08-01-2021)
Old 08-01-2021, 02:30 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,041 Likes on 490 Posts

All cars at MSRP which I expected.

Take the slot and sell your car privately. Should be the end of this convo if you want a TTS...they are extremely hard to come by.
The following 2 users liked this post by sechsgang:
MrCynical (01-20-2022), rk-d (08-01-2021)
Old 08-01-2021, 03:09 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sechsgang
Take the slot and sell your car privately. Should be the end of this convo if you want a TTS...they are extremely hard to come by.
I bet you could even sell it straight up to another dealer and get a decent offer.
Old 08-01-2021, 09:23 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,069 Likes on 610 Posts

but the 992 slot at MSRP might be conditional on trade in
I will be more in favor of talking to the dealer some more
and what is a " terrible offer" on your trade
does your car have a bad car fax
does your car have excessive mileage
does your car needs tires , some cosmetic work, or a major service is due
Are you keeping your car till the 992 arrive and this is why they gave you a lower offer in anticipation of the market on used cars cooling down and it already started to do that
all of these plus other factors play into the equation of your trade in value
so bottom line the devil is in the details , and for any of us to give you solid advise , we need as much information as possible
Old 08-01-2021, 09:56 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,504 Likes on 964 Posts

I'm curious if you went to nadaguides.com and punched in your mileage and options, how does the 'rough' trade-in amount compare to what you were given?

I've been looking at what 2019 TTS coupes are going for, subtracting about $17-20$k off that, and it jives pretty well with what I'm seeing on nadaguides.com for trade-in. My car has 2250 miles however.
Old 08-01-2021, 10:10 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chance6
I'm curious if you went to nadaguides.com and punched in your mileage and options, how does the 'rough' trade-in amount compare to what you were given?

I've been looking at what 2019 TTS coupes are going for, subtracting about $17-20$k off that, and it jives pretty well with what I'm seeing on nadaguides.com for trade-in. My car has 2250 miles however.
I think KBB is a good place to start. In a normal market, it's usually a bit optimistic, but nowadays...
Old 08-01-2021, 11:52 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,416 Likes on 2,146 Posts

Originally Posted by ss2z06
While on the subject when do dealerships find out their allocations?
One of my local Porsche dealers (Porsche Dublin,OH) got their allocations for the quarter on July 15, and all they got was a base 911 as far as 911s go.
Old 08-01-2021, 11:56 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,416 Likes on 2,146 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
I'm sure you would have no problem getting a strong offer on the TTS yourself, though it does puzzle me why the Turbo S, far and away the best 911 for anyone who does less than a dozen track days a year, doesn't get even more love. GT3's are through the roof, Turbo's are simply up a fair bit. .One reason I suspect so many GT3's are low mileage is they really just aren't a goot fit for most buyers despite their cool looks.
I think it’s a bit like the Jeep/overland crowd. Everyone wants to look like they’re an off roader or track rat.

I used to wear Stussy t-shirts in HS, but never touched a surfboard in my life.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:15 AM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pitt911
but the 992 slot at MSRP might be conditional on trade in
I will be more in favor of talking to the dealer some more
and what is a " terrible offer" on your trade
does your car have a bad car fax
does your car have excessive mileage
does your car needs tires , some cosmetic work, or a major service is due
Are you keeping your car till the 992 arrive and this is why they gave you a lower offer in anticipation of the market on used cars cooling down and it already started to do that
all of these plus other factors play into the equation of your trade in value
so bottom line the devil is in the details , and for any of us to give you solid advise , we need as much information as possible
My car is a 2015 with a high MSRP (207k) and only 5300 miles with no stories at all. They offered me $115k and it was just fully serviced by them. I would have thought at least $125k, and I realize that a trade in is always your worst option.

Originally Posted by chance6

Here's what NADA says, and it doesn't factor in things like Aero, Burmester, etc that my car has...

Quick Reply: Help the stupid: Allocations