Notices
992 Turbo and Turbo S 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

Turbo vs Turbo S....second thoughts. Need some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2021, 11:15 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,515 Likes on 2,830 Posts
Default Turbo vs Turbo S....second thoughts. Need some advice.

I have a Turbo allocation now with a current build price ~$189k. On the Turbo, there are very few reviews available and very few cars on the ground. Based on what I've read and my experience with the platform, I suspect the TT is likely close to indistinguishable from the TTS at legal street speeds. No one really has back to back reports, that said, to know for sure.

If I build a TTS, I can get what I want at ~$210k. More expensive, but doable. My proposed TTS build is very low option - basically only has Sports Exhaust and SPASM and black headlights. My TT build has Exclusive wheels, interior trim and matrix lights and painted brakes.

The main issue I have is the allocation. My dealer is confident he can get me a TTS and I believe him. The problem is that it could be months. Worst case scenario is December delivery. The TT is scheduled to arrive in April.

Discounts offered to me are the same between the TT and TTS deals. The trade in value of my C2S is also guaranteed through the wait time for a TTS.

Should I go for the TTS and suffer the wait with no immediate guarantee of when exactly the car would come? There is apparently a chance for summer allocation delivery, though slight.

Or should I take the savings, and go for the TT I have in hand - by all rights an outstanding car that may be virtually the same to a TTS in real world driving?
Old 01-09-2021, 11:33 PM
redyps
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 169 Posts

If you plan on selling the car in the next couple of years, I would suggest staying with the Turbo.

My reasoning - it will be easier to sell a reasonably optioned Turbo versus a strippy Turbo S.

Old 01-09-2021, 11:45 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by redyps
If you plan on selling the car in the next couple of years, I would suggest staying with the Turbo.

My reasoning - it will be easier to sell a reasonably optioned Turbo versus a strippy Turbo S.
Thanks

TTS build wasn't really meant to be stripped -- it just comes with everything I need, short of sports suspension and SPASM, which I added.

I usually cycle cars pretty quickly, but it may be hard to move up that quickly from this one - at least in the Porsche world.

Old 01-09-2021, 11:49 PM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

Received 1,301 Likes on 656 Posts

Tough decision rk-d.

I drove my TT for 4 hours today...just couldn't stop. It really feels like a complete car.

Looks - same fat hips and crazy wing.
Interior - optioned to just how I like it.
Performance - heroic and blissful. rocket like acceleration, aural presence, solid brakes and imperceptible body roll. my buddy said it felt noticeably faster than a huracan and amg GT

TTS might have a just a little more but may not be worth the wait. I'm pretty sure you wont feel like you are missing out with the TT.

Last edited by Pad Bender; 01-09-2021 at 11:52 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Pad Bender:
DNSGT3 (11-14-2023), RD16RR (01-10-2021)
Old 01-10-2021, 12:09 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pad Bender
Tough decision rk-d.

I drove my TT for 4 hours today...just couldn't stop. It really feels like a complete car.

Looks - same fat hips and crazy wing.
Interior - optioned to just how I like it.
Performance - heroic and blissful. rocket like acceleration, aural presence, solid brakes and imperceptible body roll. my buddy said it felt noticeably faster than a huracan and amg GT

TTS might have a just a little more but may not be worth the wait. I'm pretty sure you wont feel like you are missing out with the TT.
I think the PCCBs are one big differentiator. Reading the recent thread on people's experience with tracking PCCBs has made me rethink them. I love the PCCBS on my C2S.

I'm sure you are absolutely right otherwise - I doubt I'd miss much from a power standpoint. And both TT/TTS look identical so no issue there.

The wait is the big issue. Potentially close to one year. Ugh.
The following users liked this post:
lucycan (01-10-2021)
Old 01-10-2021, 12:13 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,272 Likes on 619 Posts

Unless you are the "grass is always greener on the other side" type of person, take the Turbo. The difference is minimal, likely unnoticeable, and life is too short to wait. The only reason to get Turbo S in that situation would be if knowing that Turbo S exists can reduce your enjoyment of Turbo. If not, just get the Turbo and never give it another though. It's the same car everywhere outside of a drag strip.
Old 01-10-2021, 12:32 AM
feron315
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

Hi Rk-d,

I think like most people said, you probably won't notice the difference in performance between the tt and tts unless you plan to track the car. I decide on the tts because I plan to keep this car for at least 8+ years.

In terms of wait time, I think you might get an allocation for the tts sooner than you might expect. In ontario Canada, I called around 4 dealships in around november time, all 4 told me I would need to wait for 1 to 1.5 years before I have a car. But after xmas, I got call from 2 dealers saying that there are allocations available in March/April. Keep in mind I am a first time porsche buyer and I don't know anyone in any dealerships.
​​
Old 01-10-2021, 02:00 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,171 Likes on 5,290 Posts

If you are asking this question it means you should get the TTS.

Otherwise you'll forever wonder "what if" every time you drive the TT.
The following 6 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
ggreg911 (01-20-2021), Holli82 (01-13-2021), itguy (01-10-2021), motown (01-10-2021), RD16RR (01-10-2021), secondtimer (01-10-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-10-2021, 03:54 AM
Emeka
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

Agree 100%. Nothing is worse than regret, should've, could've, damn. Get the TTS.
The following users liked this post:
coastal (02-11-2021)
Old 01-10-2021, 07:24 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

All good points and strike at the heart of the matter.

Turbo = likely negligible difference on the street in terms of power and almost certainly negligible, if not identical, re: handling/sound/steering; instant gratification; $25k cheaper; Looks identical.

Turbo S = No fear of missing out. Less optional equipment needed. Will have the crown for at least 4 years. No apologies and no questions needed. PCCB.

One year sounds like a long time. I have a demand order in and I'm hoping Porsche will push out a bonus allocation for the summer to give me options. My dealer is going to work the phones with Porsche, as it's clear no dealer will likely trade out a TTS allocation. If the TTS was in hand, I might lean that way but if it's truly a year out I may lean TT. I have a good situation with my dealer, and a good discount, so I'm not looking at other places. Decisions...
Old 01-10-2021, 09:28 AM
ER911S
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

X2 - I was in your shoes thinking with my brain and a few people said: if you can afford a TT, you can afford a TTS or go big or go home. Why not have the hallow car?
Not sure where you are located but I would think you can get an allocation sooner than 12 months. I referred people to my local dealer and the longest wait was 5 months.
This will be my first TT and I splurged ie about 235K build. Even if I lose $10K more in 4 years from now when I trade or sell the car, that's $200 a month. It's insignificant and well worth the extra enjoyment of the options (like Burmeister).
Old 01-10-2021, 10:01 AM
redyps
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by ER911S
X2 - I was in your shoes thinking with my brain and a few people said: if you can afford a TT, you can afford a TTS or go big or go home. Why not have the hallow car?
Not sure where you are located but I would think you can get an allocation sooner than 12 months. I referred people to my local dealer and the longest wait was 5 months.
This will be my first TT and I splurged ie about 235K build. Even if I lose $10K more in 4 years from now when I trade or sell the car, that's $200 a month. It's insignificant and well worth the extra enjoyment of the options (like Burmeister).
The depreciation on a TT or TTS after 4 years is way more than $10k. You may want to do some more research.
Old 01-10-2021, 10:02 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ER911S
Totally get it and that makes complete sense re: buying a halo car. Everyone's situation is different. Right now, if the argument is primarily emotional, I might stick with the Turbo with the earlier delivery and lower price. Still working that out in my head.
Old 01-10-2021, 10:30 AM
RD16RR
Burning Brakes

Received 364 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
Totally get it and that makes complete sense re: buying a halo car. Everyone's situation is different. Right now, if the argument is primarily emotional, I might stick with the Turbo with the earlier delivery and lower price. Still working that out in my head.
nobody offered this idea...so here goes:

get the TT asap....& order the TTS for delivery 1+yrs away...using your TT as trade - everyone is happy 😊 - your dealer definitely & you even more so
Old 01-10-2021, 10:37 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 264 Posts

Why wait? A bird in hand....
Getting a TT built to your own specification will be special no matter what.
You can cross other bridges as they appear while you enjoy the heck out of a great car you built.

Quick Reply: Turbo vs Turbo S....second thoughts. Need some advice.