Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2022, 03:51 PM
Pathy
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by L5Man
Carmine Red TTS delivered 1.24.22

Truffle Brown with Chalk stitching
Is that the Paldao wood option? How good does it look in person, in your opinion?

I'm a fan of wood in cars and definitely want to spec this option but I'd love to hear from people who have seen it in person.
Old 02-17-2022, 03:54 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by Pathy
Why do some people get the SportDesign package and some don't? It seems like it's split 50/50 based on these pictures. I'm just curious if people opt out to save the money or simply because they prefer the look of the non-SD car...
Personally speaking, I'm not a fan of the rear spoiler on the Sport Design car. I know others love it, and it looks nice to me on their cars but for me, I don't want to stand out whatsoever and the less of a wing/spoiler, the better.

Stealth is my middle name. I'm Mr. "fly under the radar".

The following users liked this post:
Big Swole (02-17-2022)
Old 02-17-2022, 03:55 PM
AnzSE
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Why do some people get the SportDesign package and some don't? It seems like it's split 50/50 based on these pictures. I'm just curious if people opt out to save the money or simply because they prefer the look of the non-SD car...
I wavered back and forth a lot, but ended up not taking it. I do think the SD-spoiler makes the car look a bit more interesting, but the SD-front does not look very good. At least not with most of the standard paint colors. It makes the car look a bit too much like an after-market JDM-car, rathern than a classic and stylish Porsche.
Old 02-17-2022, 04:09 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts

Is that the Paldao wood option? How good does it look in person, in your opinion?

I'm a fan of wood in cars and definitely want to spec this option but I'd love to hear from people who have seen it in person.
If you love it, get it! Half of us probably hate Paldeo wood interior and half love it. You will get no consensus here at all.
Old 02-17-2022, 06:15 PM
ILL_SMO_Q
Racer

Received 228 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
If you love it, get it! Half of us probably hate Paldeo wood interior and half love it. You will get no consensus here at all.
More than half...hate it... lol I'm kidding.

As far as the Sport Design, I actually wanted to 'sport' up the look of the Turbo S, I feel like Porsche has a bad habit of making all its cars look the same (well very similar), and I wanted something that helped to set mine apart by a little bit. That said, I absolutely went back and forth on if the price was worth it. If it was a 'zero' cost option, it would be a no brainer yes. But because I didn't love the front like I did the Back, I almost didn't do it. To me, the back of the 911 is a 'must have' for the sport design, but the front was a 'eh, I could take it over leave it' That said, the front is quickest way for me to figure out if someone has the sport design package. Those front winglets are the signature, but for me... that sweet *** end is what sold me on picking the Sport Design.
Old 02-17-2022, 06:30 PM
PorscheSince2013
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 153 Posts

I like the sport design, would do it again. The front appears wider and more squared. I like it, it's well done. The back balances the cabriolet more than the coupe, but I like it on the coupe too. If it wasn't available, not a big deal.

I also like the Paldao, and have it on 2 cars. I am a big fan of mid-century modern and clear-coated wood. It's a matte finish and is close to walnut or acacia. It doesn't necessary go with every interior color, though.
Old 02-17-2022, 07:08 PM
LSM111
Instructor

Received 88 Likes on 59 Posts

I got the sport design package in High Gloss. Added window trim, rear air intakes and rear slats in high gloss.

I love the look. Car looks more substantial and aggressive with it.
Old 02-17-2022, 07:20 PM
ILL_SMO_Q
Racer

Honestly, I am ok if more people chose NOT to get it. I like how it makes cars with it stick out a little bit more. Dont get me wrong, nothing about these says Lambo/Ferrari in your face, but I do think when you pull up on the rear of it, the car is saying "You sure you want some of this? I'm not a normal Porsche ..... Mr. Corvette Mustang Camaro Guy"

Examples of where I think it just looks meaner (from this thread):

Oh and this guy had the booster rocket pack installed in his exhaust to go with his Sports Design:

The following 2 users liked this post by ILL_SMO_Q:
motown (03-14-2022), secondtimer (02-17-2022)
Old 02-17-2022, 07:43 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 330 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002_Viper_GTS_ACR
More than half...hate it... lol I'm kidding.

As far as the Sport Design, I actually wanted to 'sport' up the look of the Turbo S, I feel like Porsche has a bad habit of making all its cars look the same (well very similar), and I wanted something that helped to set mine apart by a little bit. That said, I absolutely went back and forth on if the price was worth it. If it was a 'zero' cost option, it would be a no brainer yes. But because I didn't love the front like I did the Back, I almost didn't do it. To me, the back of the 911 is a 'must have' for the sport design, but the front was a 'eh, I could take it over leave it' That said, the front is quickest way for me to figure out if someone has the sport design package. Those front winglets are the signature, but for me... that sweet *** end is what sold me on picking the Sport Design.
Down to either you love it or don't. I personally don't - it makes the car look a bit odd and "tricked up" to my eye, not sportier IMO. I think for $5k Porsche truly could have put a lot more effort into it. To me the rear is "OK", but the front really turns me off, as I like the much cleaner look of a non-SD car here. A lot of people like and order it so it isn't like anyone will be original with it,...sometimes it almost looks like a 50/50 split between those that did and didn't order it. It would be fun to know the actual uptake of it compared to non-SD. Everyone has different tastes - none of which means squat to the next person, simply enjoy the way you ordered YOUR car.
AnzSE (02-18-2022)
Old 02-17-2022, 07:55 PM
topherserrano
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
topherserrano is that your house? right? wow! makes for quite a picture, all white house and white car. stunning everything.
I wish! It was at a mansion-turned-restaurant in Napa Valley called, Acacia House. Great place!
Old 02-17-2022, 07:59 PM
topherserrano
Rennlist Member

In my personal opinion, the front winglets and rear wing up-wings look like an after thought, and take away from the clean silhouette of the 911. I agree, it’s appearance harkens to body-kits one would put on JDM vehicles that can sometimes be over the top. The Sport Design package does add a little flair that isn’t so flashy, however, was not for me.
The following 2 users liked this post by topherserrano:
AnzSE (02-18-2022), Fixinbones (02-22-2022)
Old 02-17-2022, 09:00 PM
ILL_SMO_Q
Racer

I guess since we are being honest lol, I kinda felt the ‘stock rear’ seemed like a mini ducktail with a pancake slapped on top of it. Its just not for me. But I am not the Porsche purists that many of you are. I’m not looking to just be subtle, I like my cars with a little attitude…. Apparently JDM attitude…lol
topherserrano (02-17-2022)
Old 02-17-2022, 09:38 PM
topherserrano
Rennlist Member

I guess since we are being honest lol, I kinda felt the ‘stock rear’ seemed like a mini ducktail with a pancake slapped on top of it. Its just not for me. But I am not the Porsche purists that many of you are. I’m not looking to just be subtle, I like my cars with a little attitude…. Apparently JDM attitude…lol
Absolutely, we like what we like! It’s nice to have options and truly have something unique that represents our own individual preferences. They look damn great from the factory however they’re spec’d.
Old 02-18-2022, 05:51 AM
AnzSE
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Think I might have been the first to write a "JDM"-comment in the thread, and despite that I was very close to specing it myself! So take it for the tongue-in-cheek it was meant to be. I completely agree that it does make the car stand out more, which is nice. Just wish there was some middle ground between the full Sport Design-package and the stock car.

Last edited by AnzSE; 02-18-2022 at 05:53 AM.
Old 02-18-2022, 08:10 AM
derf
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 39 Posts

Just a guess here, but why would he put white lines for parking spaces at his home? I'm guessing not his home, but a restaurant or such.
White car, White House, White lines. Ha Ha

Quick Reply: Post your new 992 TT/S pictures here!