Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

PSE vs Standard exhaust: sound?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2020, 12:37 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 747 Likes on 544 Posts

with the 992.2, they may create the sports exhaust with the quad tips based on that comment being stated quite frequently by members here and elsewhere.......quads whether silver or black are more distinctive to the Turbo models.....the duals are on multiple models........
Old 12-30-2020, 12:48 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,471 Likes on 2,815 Posts

I ultimately decided on PSE after driving around with the PSE switched off on my Carrera. I just strongly preferred the PSE. It's probably a ripoff, but what can you do?

I do think the black PSE tips fits in with what I'm doing, but the exhaust tip/body panel situation is the only real failing Porsche has had with this car. It would be nice for a bespoke look for the Turbo models. Otherwise, I really like what they've done with this generation, looks wise.
Old 12-30-2020, 12:49 PM
ER911S
Pro

Received 225 Likes on 134 Posts

Related to the extra Tupperware, I had asked Manufaktur how much they would charge to paint gloss black the diffuser with the quad exhaust. I will not share the number they gave and the dealer will just paint it when they do the downpipes and program the button.
Downpipes + programming + painting of diffuser will still be cheaper than the PSE option
Old 12-30-2020, 04:09 PM
LSM111
Instructor

Received 88 Likes on 59 Posts

The big question is Porsche shipping the newer ones with OPF that mutes the exhaust to the USA. Guess that would defeat the purpose of paying for a PSE system.

BMW has gone so far as installing updates which significantly mute the exhaust for USA cars without the OPF

Last edited by LSM111; 12-30-2020 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-12-2021, 02:08 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,607 Likes on 817 Posts

I would not have been happy without PSE

Having said that, I still want better sound. A bit louder and throatier, but not too much, as well as turbo spool sound. You don't hear the turbos AT ALL just with PSE.

As a few people here know I've been weighing Akrapovic slip on race line, versus keeping PSE and getting Sports cats. Being that money doesn't grow on trees, I'm trying to get the best bang for $3500 and don't want to buy both (sports cats AND a new catback exhaust)

Sports cats + PSE seems like the best and most cost-effective combo..............but damn, it's still a pricey upgrade!
Old 01-12-2021, 03:43 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Tupper

Having said that, I still want better sound. A bit louder and throatier, but not too much, as well as turbo spool sound. You don't hear the turbos AT ALL just with PSE.

As a few people here know I've been weighing Akrapovic slip on race line, versus keeping PSE and getting Sports cats. Being that money doesn't grow on trees, I'm trying to get the best bang for $3500 and don't want to buy both (sports cats AND a new catback exhaust)

Sports cats + PSE seems like the best and most cost-effective combo..............but damn, it's still a pricey upgrade!
I agree, the $3k US-$4k Cdn for just 200 cell Sport cats is a price gouge, but it's the route I will have to go also with PSE.

Old 01-12-2021, 03:57 PM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

Received 1,286 Likes on 648 Posts

This probably a full Capristo exhaust with non-PSE tips.

Old 01-12-2021, 03:59 PM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

I was looking at 200 CEL Sport Cats as well...definitely not cheap but doesn't just throw the PSE away.
Old 01-12-2021, 04:11 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 330 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
I like pops and burbles, but I prefer it to be a natural thing - not something the computers are forcing. My 993 does this periodically and it's a lot of fun. There is something too predictable sounding and synchronized about it with modern cars. Porsche is not nearly as bad as BMW -- my old M5 competition was ridiculously fake with the exhaust. Beyond the fake stereo system sounds, the car would burble with the exact same note, pattern and timing with every single throttle lift. Turned me off on this stuff completely.

Not sure. Stef @ Europipe has been quoted saying as much. I really don't know.

"The PSE is almost identical to the regular OEM exhaust, both have valves but on the PSE the pipe diameter is slightly larger.
So basically you pay for the extra button and the programming. Push the button on the PSE and the valve open from idle to redline. On the regular OEM exhaust the valves will open at around 3500 rpm."

https://rennlist.com/forums/992-turb...l#post16939703

Part of me wonders if it's better to get Burmester than PSE. I haven't been super impressed with the C2S PSE, but I don't have a lot of experience with a 992 without it, so hard to say.
For any order I really sit down and think about pros and cons of options - and and weigh them against the cost. Yeah, maybe a bit ridiculous on a $200K car, but I do it.

When I had my '15 GTS - I had sport exhaust and Burmester - and loved both of them. Sometimes I would just drive and listen to the exhaust - other times I'd be jamming (music lover here)
I'll just go ahead and say it - the Turbo 911s (at any level) just don't have the best of sound period. Pales next to the NA GTS, and most other cars out there. Just about anything else is better.
My '19 Turbo is decent sounding when in Sport - but nothing to write home about - it surely won't win any exhaust contests at a stoplight.

The option of PSE on the 992 is a good one - but yes, it's a ripoff. Unless there is $3k of gold inside the muffler - there will only be a different pipe, routing or something minor inside to change the sound.
Most likely Porsche deleted obstructions from the PSE muffler - making it louder . Less for more $ is a Porsche way of life lately. I would really like to have an example of each and cut them apart. My guess
is about $20 difference. At least with Burmester you get much better speakers, amps, etc. - something that IS different.

If I ordered today I'd be getting Burmester and non-PSE to be replaced later with something different and more worth the monies - IF I can find one that sounds decent, otherwise I'm just going to leave it. There will be lots of
"louder" exhausts out there - but few may actually sound good. I would really like to see the aftermarket come up with a better valance though.

Old 01-12-2021, 06:58 PM
mscott1987
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the fact that some modern cars pump out artificial engine sounds through the speakers. That could be where OP is hearing the unnatural sounds coming from. I think the sound of an engine should only come from the engine. Speakes are for music especially if you option the burmester. I wish the PSE was available with the quad tips because they are a signature feature of the TTS and the carrera duel tips just don't do the rear end justice.
Old 01-12-2021, 07:02 PM
mscott1987
Advanced

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the fact that some modern cars pump out artificial engine sounds through the speakers. That could be where OP is hearing the unnatural sounds coming from. I think the sound of an engine should only come from the engine. Speakes are for music especially if you option the burmester. I wish the PSE was available with the quad tips because they are a signature feature of the TTS and the carrera dual tips just don't do the rear end justice.
Old 01-12-2021, 07:10 PM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mscott1987
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the fact that some modern cars pump out artificial engine sounds through the speakers. That could be where OP is hearing the unnatural sounds coming from. I think the sound of an engine should only come from the engine. Speakes are for music especially if you option the burmester. I wish the PSE was available with the quad tips because they are a signature feature of the TTS and the carrera dual tips just don't do the rear end justice.
My understanding is that the Porsche "Sound Symposer" is a deliberate sound channel from the rear that is not through the speakers. That works for me...still analogue.

https://www.porsche.com/usa/aboutpor...iew/article06/
The following 3 users liked this post by Pad Bender:
ER911S (01-13-2021), heshalosny (01-15-2021), smiles11 (01-12-2021)
Old 01-12-2021, 09:13 PM
redyps
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 167 Posts

It is widely known in McLaren circles of the sound tube entering the cabin...
Old 01-12-2021, 09:13 PM
mscott1987
Advanced

Wow thanks for the article Pad! Very interesting stuff. I'm a bit of an audiophile so sound is my jam... My first sales rep that actually left the company last week told me verbatim that there was sound pumped out of the speakers in the 992 TTS. Shows how much he knew and it makes me glad I have a new and more enthusiastic sales rep assisting me. Can't wait to hear that new Burmester in action with the 855w amp, dual center speakers and new amt ribbon tweeters. Only 4 more months!
Old 01-14-2021, 11:28 AM
JeanLouis33
Racer

Received 328 Likes on 91 Posts

On my third Turbo (997, 991 and 992) I have been waiting for the PSE, and I find it a good improvement.

Let us not overlook the fact that (well, at least over here, in old Europe) the Guarantee becomes void as soon as you change your cats, or fit another exhaust. When you know the price of a new engine, it gives me food for thought !
The following users liked this post:
CanAutM3 (01-14-2021)

Quick Reply: PSE vs Standard exhaust: sound?