Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

PSE v. Standard Quad

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2020, 04:54 PM
997usa
Burning Brakes

Received 532 Likes on 271 Posts
Default PSE v. Standard Quad

Thanks to @Pad Bender for uploading to another thread...

Is this the sound difference between PSE and standard? If so, it is pretty remarkable:

https://bit.ly/3iihKTB

Last edited by 997usa; 09-30-2020 at 04:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Agentorange (10-02-2020)
Old 09-30-2020, 10:36 PM
JimmyDee
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

If that's the difference... then it's quite dramatic.
I can't imagine either vehicle had their cars in anything but; Sport Plus.
Apparently 'Sport Mode' is where the exhaust is the loudest (even louder than Sport Plus).
Old 09-30-2020, 11:40 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,399 Likes on 1,488 Posts

Listening to both in person is the best way to notice an appreciable difference with PSE. Valves open makes a significant difference in exhaust tone & provides a robust throaty sound in comparison to the standard exhaust.

That said, I would prefer the squared quads for a TTS. However, for those that don’t like to mod their cars like myself. You have to decide which is best. Squared quads for aesthetics, or PSE dual ovals for sound.

In my case. I actually prefer the dual ovals on the C2S over the standard round quads, as it harkens to the last gen GT2RS. Sound was just a bonus.
Old 10-01-2020, 09:32 AM
hcvone
Rennlist Member

Received 783 Likes on 491 Posts

I had Kline headers and exhaust on my 991.2 tts thru the stock quad tips, the sound is great, on my 992 tts I went with the sport exhaust, this car will also get Kline headers and a new Kline exhaust made for the sport exhaust, sounded even better than my car now, so I will have one of each.
Old 10-01-2020, 10:19 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 260 Posts

Opting for standard quad tips on my 992 Turbo S build. They are unique to the Turbo, as every single 992 variation with PSE gets oval tips.... Vive la différence!!
Plan to add a 992 Stage 1 Europipe once Stef has it ready for market.
I had one on my 991.2 Turbo S and was VERY pleased, so I'm in que for a 992 Europipe already!

Last edited by NVRANUF; 10-01-2020 at 10:20 AM.
Old 10-01-2020, 12:32 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 769 Likes on 561 Posts

Black TTS Quads are more exclusive as duals are available on any other 911 (except for GT3 with its closely situated duals)...........excess sound after a while is tiring after 20 minutes.........especially if you use the car every day.........
Old 10-01-2020, 01:52 PM
ER911S
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 136 Posts

New to this PSE exhaust so excuse the newbie question. Is it correct that the difference with PSE is that it allows you in Sport mode and Sports + to have the valves always open whereas the regular exhaust only opens the valves after a certain rpm? In other words, does the standard system have valves as well? The PSE obviously has the button to switch it on and off at your leisure but there's a thread where someone said it could be customized with tuning. It seems that after market cat delete and X pipe will still generate more sound while being able to keep the quad or oval exhaust and the valves so if someone prefers the quad pipe (I do), then the cheaper and better way to achieve more sound would be to buy the standard exhaust, and get the local dealer to activate the valves. Am I missing something?
Old 10-01-2020, 05:30 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 331 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by ER911S
New to this PSE exhaust so excuse the newbie question. Is it correct that the difference with PSE is that it allows you in Sport mode and Sports + to have the valves always open whereas the regular exhaust only opens the valves after a certain rpm? In other words, does the standard system have valves as well? The PSE obviously has the button to switch it on and off at your leisure but there's a thread where someone said it could be customized with tuning. It seems that after market cat delete and X pipe will still generate more sound while being able to keep the quad or oval exhaust and the valves so if someone prefers the quad pipe (I do), then the cheaper and better way to achieve more sound would be to buy the standard exhaust, and get the local dealer to activate the valves. Am I missing something?
Yes, want to know the same. Does the standard Turbo/TurboS exhaust have valves also as my 2019 Turbo does? - which makes the sound just a bit louder/deeper - OR are there no valves on the stock exhaust (only one tone) and any valves are reserved for the Sport Exhaust?
Old 10-01-2020, 07:25 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by ER911S
Yes, here is what Stef from Europipe wrote to me regarding the 992 standard exhaust vs PSE:

"The PSE is almost identical to the regular OEM exhaust, both have valves but on the PSE the pipe diameter is slightly larger.
So basically you pay for the extra button and the programming. Push the button on the PSE and the valve open from idle to redline. On the regular OEM exhaust the valves will open at around 3500 rpm."

Old 10-02-2020, 12:30 AM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
Yes, here is what Stef from Europipe wrote to me regarding the 992 standard exhaust vs PSE:

"The PSE is almost identical to the regular OEM exhaust, both have valves but on the PSE the pipe diameter is slightly larger.
So basically you pay for the extra button and the programming. Push the button on the PSE and the valve open from idle to redline. On the regular OEM exhaust the valves will open at around 3500 rpm."
Not sure I get this though - on my 991.2 Turbo - go into sport or sport+ and the exhaust valves open up from idle on up. Not sure why they would change it to automatically open @ 3500. Could be true, still sounds weird.
Old 10-02-2020, 06:26 AM
stef@europipe
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 357 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
Not sure I get this though - on my 991.2 Turbo - go into sport or sport+ and the exhaust valves open up from idle on up. Not sure why they would change it to automatically open @ 3500. Could be true, still sounds weird.
The 991.2 Turbo OEM exhaust has no valves, what you hear is the different ECU programming between normal mode, sport and sport+. Ignition timing, VTG vane angle, boost pressure etc all make for a different exhaust sound.

On the 992 Turbo S the difference between PSE on and off isn’t that pronounced inside the cabin. More like prprprprpr and brbrbrbrbr lol.
The following users liked this post:
turbanator911 (06-10-2023)
Old 10-02-2020, 10:05 AM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stef@europipe
The 991.2 Turbo OEM exhaust has no valves, what you hear is the different ECU programming between normal mode, sport and sport+. Ignition timing, VTG vane angle, boost pressure etc all make for a different exhaust sound.

On the 992 Turbo S the difference between PSE on and off isn’t that pronounced inside the cabin. More like prprprprpr and brbrbrbrbr lol.
Awesome information, thanks - knew the ECU was the difference between the exhaust sound of sport/sport+, but actually thought there were still valves down there when moving from normal to sport/+. Need to spend more time under it! Now for the biggest question - on a non-sport exhaust 992 Turbo/TurboS is the same feature there? - or do you have to order the sport exhaust to get any difference in sound? I actually like the quad exhaust look and the sound when in sport/sport+ is just loud enough to be noticeable, but not loud enough to be annoying.
Old 10-02-2020, 11:36 AM
alibo70
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

If it is anything like the regular 992, which it will be then you can program the sport exhaust valve functionality with PIWIS in a non-PSE car. I plan to do this and go aftermarket when the time comes. What will be interesting to see is if programming PSE in a non-PSE car only changes valve function or the tune also to add more crackles or richen the mixture for a louder startup.

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1185...-possible.html
Old 10-02-2020, 12:31 PM
stef@europipe
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
Awesome information, thanks - knew the ECU was the difference between the exhaust sound of sport/sport+, but actually thought there were still valves down there when moving from normal to sport/+. Need to spend more time under it! Now for the biggest question - on a non-sport exhaust 992 Turbo/TurboS is the same feature there? - or do you have to order the sport exhaust to get any difference in sound? I actually like the quad exhaust look and the sound when in sport/sport+ is just loud enough to be noticeable, but not loud enough to be annoying.
Good questions but I don’t have the answer. All the 992 Turbos that I’ve seen and heard over here run the PSE. The PSE is popular!
Old 10-02-2020, 12:32 PM
stef@europipe
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by alibo70
If it is anything like the regular 992, which it will be then you can program the sport exhaust valve functionality with PIWIS in a non-PSE car. I plan to do this and go aftermarket when the time comes. What will be interesting to see is if programming PSE in a non-PSE car only changes valve function or the tune also to add more crackles or richen the mixture for a louder startup.

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1185...-possible.html
Cold start on a 992 Turbo S with the sport exhaust button activated is relatively quiet as the valves remain closed! Once the idle speed is down to normal rpm you can push the button again and the valves open.

Quick Reply: PSE v. Standard Quad