Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

PSE vs Standard exhaust: sound?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2020, 11:45 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,471 Likes on 2,815 Posts
Default PSE vs Standard exhaust: sound?

Has anyone had first hand experience comparing in cabin sounds between PSE and the standard exhaust?

I have PSE on my 992 C2s. One thing that drives me nuts is the burbling/farting/crack/pops. It sounds synthetic and unnatural. For that reason, I'm not including it in my spec, not to mention the expense. I was curious if anyone has insight into the sound of the standard exhaust. If it's largely the same with the exception of the backfire noises, then that's an easy decision for me.

Old 12-29-2020, 02:23 PM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

Received 1,285 Likes on 648 Posts

Autogefuhl youtube review of the TT has no sports exhaust. I certainly dont find the PSE in sports mode obnoxious but im coming from a loud RS5.

Old 12-29-2020, 03:43 PM
ER911S
Pro

Received 225 Likes on 134 Posts

No first hand experience but I have been researching this for a while. From the information I gathered, the two exhausts are basically the same (physically, a tubing portion is supposedly larger). Both are valved and the PSE allows a manual override to open it with a button inside.
The burbling/farting/crack/pops you refer to is software driven in Sports mode and I believe is the same for PSE or non PSE cars but I have no proof of it.
IMHO, Porsche is overselling what the PSE is and it is a $4K gimmick as you can get the button programmed at your local dealer.
I believe that for most, it comes down to which tip ends they prefer. Personally I like the quads better and will do catless downpipes to enhance the aural feedback.
Old 12-29-2020, 07:14 PM
r00t61
Pro

Received 245 Likes on 154 Posts

Stef @ Europipe (can't find the exact post atm) posted a lot of detailed info

- The Non-PSE valves open based on the ECU at 4K+ RPM
- The PSE valves can be made open all the time by using the console button
- The fake overruns in Sport mode exist in both non-PSE/PSE models. They can be removed by a tune; or you can drive in S+ instead
- I like the quad tips better - they are very distinctive and a nice nod back to 991 TT - but the plastic shroud of the diffuser that surrounds them looks horrid

The following users liked this post:
Tumbleweed (01-20-2021)
Old 12-29-2020, 07:20 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,378 Likes on 1,479 Posts

S+ in manual mode w/ sport exhaust is the way to go. Eliminates the overrun & provides the best sound. OTOH, S+ auto is too aggressive even for the most spirited driving on b-roads... but it’s perfect for track days.

Last edited by smiles11; 12-29-2020 at 07:23 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by smiles11:
JonasCord (02-19-2021), Pad Bender (12-29-2020)
Old 12-29-2020, 07:23 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

That seems to line up with what I've read. Basically, the exhausts are the same in most ways.

I do prefer the quad tips on the Turbos. I have a C2s with PSE and the dual tips are fine, but it's not the best looking thing in the world. Lots of plastic on that one as well.

I wish I had the chance to hear both, but that's not in the cards so I'll have to figure this out. Right now it's hard to justify the expense.
Old 12-29-2020, 08:41 PM
motown
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 97 Posts

I love a good burbling/farting/crack/pops when I want them. That was a BIG plus going from Gen 1 to Gen 2 R8. The new Gen 2 v10 in dynamic or sport mode has a lot on any release of the gas pedal and when do that coming off high rev it is a spectacle. Now if I take it out of sport mode it calms down and you would have to stomp on it and even then it is reduced. Dr jekyll and mr hyde type personality. Love that and am hoping to get it in my TTS with the PSE added.

Just my tastes.
RD16RR (12-29-2020)
Old 12-29-2020, 08:45 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,298 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
That seems to line up with what I've read. Basically, the exhausts are the same in most ways.

I do prefer the quad tips on the Turbos. I have a C2s with PSE and the dual tips are fine, but it's not the best looking thing in the world. Lots of plastic on that one as well.

I wish I had the chance to hear both, but that's not in the cards so I'll have to figure this out. Right now it's hard to justify the expense.
I serious doubts that the PSE and non-PSE rear muffler canister share the same internals...

Last edited by CanAutM3; 12-29-2020 at 08:46 PM.
Tumbleweed (01-20-2021)
Old 12-29-2020, 09:07 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by motown
I love a good burbling/farting/crack/pops when I want them. That was a BIG plus going from Gen 1 to Gen 2 R8. The new Gen 2 v10 in dynamic or sport mode has a lot on any release of the gas pedal and when do that coming off high rev it is a spectacle. Now if I take it out of sport mode it calms down and you would have to stomp on it and even then it is reduced. Dr jekyll and mr hyde type personality. Love that and am hoping to get it in my TTS with the PSE added.

Just my tastes.
I like pops and burbles, but I prefer it to be a natural thing - not something the computers are forcing. My 993 does this periodically and it's a lot of fun. There is something too predictable sounding and synchronized about it with modern cars. Porsche is not nearly as bad as BMW -- my old M5 competition was ridiculously fake with the exhaust. Beyond the fake stereo system sounds, the car would burble with the exact same note, pattern and timing with every single throttle lift. Turned me off on this stuff completely.

Originally Posted by CanAutM3
I serious doubts that the PSE and non-PSE rear muffler canister share the same internals...
Not sure. Stef @ Europipe has been quoted saying as much. I really don't know.

"The PSE is almost identical to the regular OEM exhaust, both have valves but on the PSE the pipe diameter is slightly larger.
So basically you pay for the extra button and the programming. Push the button on the PSE and the valve open from idle to redline. On the regular OEM exhaust the valves will open at around 3500 rpm."

https://rennlist.com/forums/992-turb...l#post16939703

Part of me wonders if it's better to get Burmester than PSE. I haven't been super impressed with the C2S PSE, but I don't have a lot of experience with a 992 without it, so hard to say.

Last edited by rk-d; 12-29-2020 at 09:24 PM.
Old 12-29-2020, 11:44 PM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

Received 1,285 Likes on 648 Posts

The rear diffuser for the quad exhausts was a no go for me. A proper aftermarket solution may make that decision easier.

It was only the 991 turbo that had the quad so the dual outlets are hardly sacrilege in my mind.

Last edited by Pad Bender; 12-29-2020 at 11:45 PM.
Old 12-30-2020, 12:01 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,209 Likes on 595 Posts

have a C2s with PSE and the dual tips are fine, but it's not the best looking thing in the world. Lots of plastic on that one as well.
Isn't it all painted on the Turbo? I think with sport exhaust you get body color or gloss black painted plastic rather than matte. Or is that with sport design package only?
Old 12-30-2020, 12:50 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pad Bender
The rear diffuser for the quad exhausts was a no go for me. A proper aftermarket solution may make that decision easier.

It was only the 991 turbo that had the quad so the dual outlets are hardly sacrilege in my mind.
Yeah, they really bulked up the Tupperware with the quads. I'm not sure what Porsche is thinking with that stuff.

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Isn't it all painted on the Turbo? I think with sport exhaust you get body color or gloss black painted plastic rather than matte. Or is that with sport design package only?
I think that's sports package only. Otherwise, it's pretty much like the Carrera from what I've seen.
Old 12-30-2020, 12:53 AM
r00t61
Pro

Received 245 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
I think it's with the Sport Design package only. The base sport exhaust diffuser is just black plastic.

Old 12-30-2020, 01:43 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,209 Likes on 595 Posts

I think that's sports package only. Otherwise, it's pretty much like the Carrera from what I've seen.
Yep, I checked after that, and you are right.
Old 12-30-2020, 11:02 AM
JeanLouis33
Racer

Received 328 Likes on 91 Posts

As a 911 Turbo fan, on my 997 TT, I had a 9FF exhaust which was very sonorous !!! (and expensive). On the 991 TTS, I fitted a Europipe exhaust , as the stock sound was non-existant.

And Lo and Behold... at long last, the wise guys at Zuffenhausen decided it was time to offer the PSE to the 992 generation. I am LOVING it. In ffact, the first three things I do, every time
I use the car, are 1-turn off the "stop/start", 2-open the "PSE", 3-hit the "Manual (M)" button... and then I have the car I love. Turbo S will never sound like a GT3, but this generation is the
first one to have a decent sound (with PSE of course).

It is just a shame that the pretty twin rectangular exhaust tips disappear if you opt for the PSE, and are replaced with the less interesting (in my opinion) oval tips similar to the Carrera's.

replaced with more boring (in my opinion) oval tips similar to those of the Carrera.
The following 4 users liked this post by JeanLouis33:
CanAutM3 (12-30-2020), impex4 (12-30-2020), NVRANUF (12-30-2020), rk-d (12-30-2020)

Quick Reply: PSE vs Standard exhaust: sound?