Notices
992 GT3 and GT2RS Forum 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newly purchased HRE's on my GT3. Is the back not wide enough?

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:55 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Originally Posted by richiele23
Ah ok, attached is the ET I saw on the invoice. Front -Diameter: 20 Width: 9.5 ET

Rear-Diameter:

21 Width

12.5 ET: 48
You needed to go with more aggressive offsets to achieve the desired look. The wheel width is fine.
Old Today, 02:45 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,902 Likes on 5,190 Posts

I don't think those wheels look good on a GT3.
The following users liked this post:
M3Inline6 (Today)
Old Today, 02:52 AM
richiele23
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by J Irwan
The offset is not the issue. (I've done the calculation above.Please see the offset table).

I always love how beefy the Michelin Cup 2 tires looks on Stock GT3 rim.

If OP were to have the stock Michelin Cup 2 - 315/30/21 in N-Spec installed on the HRE, we wont be having this conversation.

The stock GT3 offset is perfect as it is, and 3.3mm more outward on the HRE would have been nothing and would look largely the same appearance (in thickness or sidewall profile) as stock.

I am sure (this my assumption) that OP is not looking for stretched look, if you like the "stretch" looks then yes you go with even lower offset in order to fill the fender gap.
Sheesh, thank you everyone for your replies and input. Noted about not lowering the rear.

J Irwan - I did take a look at my tires and they are in fact AML. When I look at them from an angle, they do like they are "leaning" inward, as you gusys say stretched. I think if the wall were going straight up it would fill in the gap a little bit and be closer to the look I am trying to achieve. I like the tire/stance of the OEM wheels.

That said, should replacing the tires HRE sold me with the OEM tires be the best solution here?

I reached out to the HRE rep and he said:
Question though, is your GT3 lowered, or at the factory height? The fitment we went with on your vehicle specifically is what is called our F1 Fitment, this is what all customers go with unless requested otherwise. On a vehicle like a GT3, the fitment is already so tight from factory, there is not a ton of wiggle room. The rear tire (315/30-21) does have some stretch to it when mounted on a 21x12.50, but that’s due to the tire availability and what’s out there. The 325/30-21 would not meet any of Michelin’s standards, so we are stuck with the 315/30-21.

He is going to do more research on this situation and get back to me tomorrow.

Here are more photos for those that requested them:

Last edited by richiele23; Today at 03:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
cptcolo0 (Today)
Old Today, 03:12 AM
DanHalen
Track Day

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The super wide angle of the pics you are sharing aren't helping to determine how they truly look to the eye. They do look to me like they aren't as aggressive as I'd want mine to be- and I know HRE are super pricey- I have had some sets, so I can see how you'd feel disappointed. Please share a pic like cptcolo0 did for better understanding of the fitment, might help the forum give more informed input... although they have shared a lot of minutia already.
Old Today, 04:44 AM
cptcolo0
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Sheesh, thank you everyone for your replies and input. Noted about not lowering the rear.

J Irwan - I did take a look at my tires and they are in fact AML. When I look at them from an angle, they do like they are "leaning" inward, as you gusys say stretched. I think if the wall were going straight up it would fill in the gap a little bit and be closer to the look I am trying to achieve. I like the tire/stance of the OEM wheels.

That said, should replacing the tires HRE sold me with the OEM tires be the best solution here?

Question though, is your GT3 lowered, or at the factory height? The fitment we went with on your vehicle specifically is what is called our F1 Fitment, this is what all customers go with unless requested otherwise. On a vehicle like a GT3, the fitment is already so tight from factory, there is not a ton of wiggle room. The rear tire (315/30-21) does have some stretch to it when mounted on a 21x12.50, but that’s due to the tire availability and what’s out there. The 325/30-21 would not meet any of Michelin’s standards, so we are stuck with the 315/30-21.

He is going to do more research on this situation and get back to me tomorrow.

Here are more photos for those that requested them:

richiele23,
Yes I think if you go with OEM Michelin Cup 2 tires you will be fine. The rear Cup 2 OEM (N0) tire is enormously wide for a 315mm wide tire. Per tirerack the tread width is 12.0"! This is perfect for your 12.5" wide wheels (it is recommended for only up to 11.5" as shown below but it is really only the thread width that really matters). The PS4s thread width is only 10.8" and stretched way past where it should be (this would have a good chance of unseating).
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...3&autoModClar=

Last edited by cptcolo0; Today at 04:47 AM.
Old Today, 06:19 AM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,022 Posts

I totally think it is an offset issue mixed with your choice of wheel style. My 20/21 HRE Classic 300’s have a more aggressive offset and the wheel widths are the same as yours. HRE called it the “high offset profile”. My wheels would poke if my car weren’t lowered.

Last edited by M3Inline6; Today at 06:21 AM.

Quick Reply: Newly purchased HRE's on my GT3. Is the back not wide enough?