Sponsored by:

Crazy good 911 S/T Review - Throttle House

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2024, 10:07 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,077 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Porsche marketing has learned limiting production of a model requires a significant increase in MSRP. If im not mistaken, the S/T has the higest GT MSRP. Not sure why.
when you add all the options to the RS, the delta is not that different. The thinking needs to be not this is a touring +, but that it’s a manual, Wingless RS with a Weissach package, then the pricing makes more sense
The following 3 users liked this post by cosmos:
Daft Chief (04-04-2024), EMdoc (03-28-2024), InfamousS/T (04-04-2024)
Old 03-27-2024, 10:12 PM
Justaroofer
Burning Brakes

Received 474 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmos
when you add all the options to the RS, the delta is not that different. The thinking needs to be not this is a touring +, but that it’s a manual, Wingless RS with a Weissach package, then the pricing makes more sense
That's how I see it aswell, just wish they would've incorporated more RS body without the wing. Ducted fenders, carbon double bubble roof as they did with this, and maybe a touch bit more rear flare and boom it'd be more RS-esk...
The following users liked this post:
InfamousS/T (04-04-2024)
Old 03-27-2024, 11:38 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,590 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by Justaroofer
This is the review I have been waiting for. They're truly nonbias and just call it how it is(one of the reasons they were low on the list for the press car). My take away from it was don't love it or hate it. Is it the greatest, no. Could it handle better yes. It's alot of parts thrown together which we knew. It's priced to a point where you'd expect a bit more.

The fact "this is what a base Carrera should be" says it all. Its simple, with a bloated price.

These guys are what most all of us are, Overgrown children that just want to have fun in cars. No brand loyalty, and bringing the Subi into the vid was a subtle chide at the price point.

As I have said before, its not the greatest. Not bashing, just repeating others hands on sentiments.

I'm truly shocked the made the steering sloppy. In a 911 of this size without the RWS and soft spring rate(which is obviously the electronic calibration equivalent to the 3rs turned all the way down on the **** and not actually bespoke), this will make it somewhat cumbersome in sharp curves.

Snappy steering to me is the heart of a sports car, take that away and it's just another car. A sports car is supposed to be harsh, rigid, exaggerated, and most of all untamed. The ST tries to blend cushy cruiser up front, race car in the back....

Awesome job Porsche, you created the Mullet of the luxury car world.

The ST is cool in concept, I won't ever have a need or desire to own one. Much as them. I don't love it, nor do I hate it as a machine. I hate how Porsche rolled it out to its customers.

You can make it more responsive and direct with a stiffer sidewall tire. You can also increase neg. camber and alter the toe to get a more direct feel. More than one way to skin a cat. It is not all in the springs and dampers.
The following 2 users liked this post by TRZ06:
AlexCeres (03-27-2024), GTS440 (03-28-2024)
Old 03-28-2024, 12:17 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 995 Likes on 440 Posts

This is the review I have been waiting for. They're truly nonbias and just call it how it is(one of the reasons they were low on the list for the press car). My take away from it was don't love it or hate it. Is it the greatest, no. Could it handle better yes. It's alot of parts thrown together which we knew. It's priced to a point where you'd expect a bit more.

The fact "this is what a base Carrera should be" says it all. Its simple, with a bloated price.

These guys are what most all of us are, Overgrown children that just want to have fun in cars. No brand loyalty, and bringing the Subi into the vid was a subtle chide at the price point.

As I have said before, its not the greatest. Not bashing, just repeating others hands on sentiments.

I'm truly shocked the made the steering sloppy. In a 911 of this size without the RWS and soft spring rate(which is obviously the electronic calibration equivalent to the 3rs turned all the way down on the **** and not actually bespoke), this will make it somewhat cumbersome in sharp curves.

Snappy steering to me is the heart of a sports car, take that away and it's just another car. A sports car is supposed to be harsh, rigid, exaggerated, and most of all untamed. The ST tries to blend cushy cruiser up front, race car in the back....

Awesome job Porsche, you created the Mullet of the luxury car world.

The ST is cool in concept, I won't ever have a need or desire to own one. Much as them. I don't love it, nor do I hate it as a machine. I hate how Porsche rolled it out to its customers.
it’s amazing how your bias toward hating a car you have never driven continues to shade your interpretation. His discussion about the S/T being a base model 911 is about what he WISHES a base 911 could be, meaning a lightweight stripped down bare bones car that is accessible for all to buy. A car that provides a pure emotional driving experience. Meaning he would love to have a cheap 911 made of carbon fiber body panels, Mag wheels, PCCBs, and a Motorsports derived engine paired with a single mass flywheel. Who wouldn’t want all that as a base model! Problem is all that stuff is expensive, and hence why the car is expensive. What makes me chuckle concerning your hatred however is that my S/T at MSRP is probably pretty much the same price as your recently ordered Touring which you paid a hefty ADM. Love it

Last edited by disden; 03-28-2024 at 12:18 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by disden:
neoprufrok (03-30-2024), PTS (03-28-2024)
Old 03-28-2024, 12:18 AM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 1,011 Likes on 605 Posts

Hyyyypppeeee.

Cool car, is it that much different from touring? 100lbs less hmm.
Old 03-28-2024, 12:44 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,351 Likes on 2,777 Posts

Interesting review.

Looking at the video, the ride height seems a bit taller than the regular GT3. The wheel gap appears slightly larger. This would make sense given the comments on the ride.

I do agree about the interior - a truly bespoke, radio delete, hardcore but expensively furnished ultra lightweight interior would have been amazing.

The choice to combine a LWFW with a more relaxed steering and handling design is an interesting contrast - seems the reviewers had trouble reconciling that.

Originally Posted by TRZ06
You can make it more responsive and direct with a stiffer sidewall tire. You can also increase neg. camber and alter the toe to get a more direct feel. More than one way to skin a cat. It is not all in the springs and dampers.
It will be interesting to see what the alignment from factory looks like compared to the stock GT3. I went more negative camber, lowered and toed out the front end of my 991.2 Touring and it made a pretty significant difference/improvement.

Last edited by rk-d; 03-28-2024 at 12:46 AM.
AlexCeres (03-31-2024)
Old 03-28-2024, 06:40 AM
NRAzar
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Very good production quality. They have been improving video-upon-video, and they are one of the few that are not stagnated like other channels such as Doug DeMuro or TheStraightPipes.
The following 2 users liked this post by NRAzar:
AlexCeres (03-31-2024), EMdoc (03-28-2024)
Old 03-28-2024, 08:31 AM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 612 Likes on 295 Posts

Would love to drive one and compare to my Touring. Only way to know if its diff is to drive both. Wish I got the call for one, I would've traded my Touring in a second.
Old 03-28-2024, 12:17 PM
Justaroofer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by disden
it’s amazing how your bias toward hating a car you have never driven continues to shade your interpretation. His discussion about the S/T being a base model 911 is about what he WISHES a base 911 could be, meaning a lightweight stripped down bare bones car that is accessible for all to buy. A car that provides a pure emotional driving experience. Meaning he would love to have a cheap 911 made of carbon fiber body panels, Mag wheels, PCCBs, and a Motorsports derived engine paired with a single mass flywheel. Who wouldn’t want all that as a base model! Problem is all that stuff is expensive, and hence why the car is expensive. What makes me chuckle concerning your hatred however is that my S/T at MSRP is probably pretty much the same price as your recently ordered Touring which you paid a hefty ADM. Love it
I don't think your math is mathing. You're a VIP? If so great! Otherwise, you're spending 70-80k over the ST minimum. Yes larger value after the first year, and assuming yours is PTS even greater. My Touring I have no shame in saying is 320k. 70k over and Ben literally sent me 2-3 texts tops and money well earned. I broke no sweat and made little to no efforts to secure the spot and honestly the ADM to me is literally less than what I received back in manufacturer rebates last year so oh well.

Now the average ST in the US will be 1.75-2x MSRP plus lease. That's 600-650k all in. Will the value hold, likely yes after the end of the 12 months and greater for PTS. Then the actual market Value will speak which still to be 200k Over sticker if trends match the R... after 5+ years.

The Touring will have a sharper driving dynamic, and dare I say it some may regret going to the ST based on this past review.

At the end of the day factoring MSRP scale I'll maybe loose 30-40k within the first couple years then value will flatline and rebound as inflation creeps.

The best part, the Touring delivery got bumped ahead another 10 days yesterday. Meanwhile STs and my PTS 3RS are sitting in a perpetual flying hold pattern with month after month delays hitting.

I like Mullets yes, just not in the form of a 600k car.
Old 03-28-2024, 12:19 PM
Justaroofer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NRAzar
Very good production quality. They have been improving video-upon-video, and they are one of the few that are not stagnated like other channels such as Doug DeMuro or TheStraightPipes.
How people watch Doug, I'll never understand. Good for him though.
The following 3 users liked this post by Justaroofer:
EMdoc (03-28-2024), NRAzar (03-28-2024), Randy M (03-30-2024)
Old 03-28-2024, 01:42 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,190 Likes on 1,228 Posts

Would love to know what these 2 guys thought of the Carrera T.
The following 2 users liked this post by Diablo Dude:
cosmos (03-28-2024), Randy M (03-30-2024)
Old 03-28-2024, 01:56 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,825 Likes on 2,746 Posts

That's how I see it aswell, just wish they would've incorporated more RS body without the wing. Ducted fenders, carbon double bubble roof as they did with this, and maybe a touch bit more rear flare and boom it'd be more RS-esk...
I think the intent was to make it a narrow-body (well, medium anyways) version, so things like the RS front vented fenders were too wide. And the rear flare of the 992 GT3 is already very wide for a road car. The intent was to make the car lighter and smaller than the RS, so it would be more playful (and not occupy an entire lane of traffic) than the RS...

With the original 911, you could choose your line through a given corner. In the new RS, you have to concentrate to just keep it between the lines on some narrow roads (like they have in UK and parts of Europe, especially).

Last edited by GrantG; 03-28-2024 at 01:58 PM.
dave2020 (03-28-2024)
Old 03-28-2024, 04:14 PM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,257 Posts

I don't think your math is mathing. You're a VIP? If so great! Otherwise, you're spending 70-80k over the ST minimum. Yes larger value after the first year, and assuming yours is PTS even greater. My Touring I have no shame in saying is 320k. 70k over and Ben literally sent me 2-3 texts tops and money well earned. I broke no sweat and made little to no efforts to secure the spot and honestly the ADM to me is literally less than what I received back in manufacturer rebates last year so oh well.

Now the average ST in the US will be 1.75-2x MSRP plus lease. That's 600-650k all in. Will the value hold, likely yes after the end of the 12 months and greater for PTS. Then the actual market Value will speak which still to be 200k Over sticker if trends match the R... after 5+ years.

The Touring will have a sharper driving dynamic, and dare I say it some may regret going to the ST based on this past review.

At the end of the day factoring MSRP scale I'll maybe loose 30-40k within the first couple years then value will flatline and rebound as inflation creeps.

The best part, the Touring delivery got bumped ahead another 10 days yesterday. Meanwhile STs and my PTS 3RS are sitting in a perpetual flying hold pattern with month after month delays hitting.

The day I am only able to assess cars for their potential ROI is the day I will stop buying cars. Must be sad for that to be your only lens. The mental gymnastics you've done to justify a $330k+ Touring yet talk down on the ST is nothing short of amazing. "Lose" still has 1 "o"
The following 2 users liked this post by PTS:
BlazinPond (03-29-2024), EMdoc (03-28-2024)
Old 03-28-2024, 04:26 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,590 Likes on 902 Posts

How people watch Doug, I'll never understand. Good for him though.

I am not a fan of his delivery style either, with all that high pitched sentences.

HOWEVER, outside of his video content, he is a really cool guy to listen to. I have not met him in person, but watching interviews and podcasts that he has done, he is easy to listen to and seems to be a pretty down to earth car guy.
Old 03-28-2024, 04:39 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 995 Likes on 440 Posts

The math is simple. MSRP for mine is $305k, and it’s already built. no watch no trade in, ect ect. Unfortunately the only additional cost is the shake down by Porsche for a 12 month lease, which really amounts to about $25k in lease interest to Porsche, as the rest of the lease payment pays down the end of lease purchase residual. the $70-80k you keep mentioning as a lease cost is not 100% interest, for example my purchase price after the 12 month lease is $263k.

Your continued trashing of the ST is now bordering on mental derangement. I know you have left the winged world and bought a Touring so you are a bit biased, but what makes you honestly believe people will regret selling their Touring for the S/T? Based upon what? Based upon your extensive seat time in both? Numerous reviews have directly compared the cars back to back and have universally stated that the S/T is 100% a more dynamic, emptional and frankly a better car. Nowhere is it mentioned the Touring is a bad car, quite the opposite. The end statement is always that the Touring is an amazing unbelievable car that anyone should be thrilled to own, but the S/T with the changes Porsche has made is simply better. It’s therefor up to the buyers to decide if the cost difference, especially when considering the ADM most people are being forced to pay, is worth it.

I would not be buying my S/T if an ADM was attached. Also, I would not be buying it if Porche didn’t make the changes in ride quality and steering input. I absolutely hated my 992 GT3 on the street, it was a jittery tramlining handful on any pavement that was not perfectly racetrack smooth. When I pick up my S/T in a few months I will honestly give my opinions of the car, whether I like it or not. But I won’t sit here and say it’s awful before driving it as that’s the epitome of being self serving and disingenuous.
The following 4 users liked this post by disden:
BlazinPond (03-29-2024), GTS440 (03-28-2024), kyrocks (03-31-2024), lrebelo (03-31-2024)

Quick Reply: Crazy good 911 S/T Review - Throttle House