Sponsored by:

Jack for battery tender in GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2024, 01:44 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 643 Likes on 425 Posts
Default Jack for battery tender in GT3RS

I'm sure I'm missing something very obvious but I see no cig lighter jack in the passenger footwell and there is longer one in the center console. Porsche also gave me the wrong manual so can't look it up. Any owners charging and have figured this out? Would prefer to avoid the pigtail method under the frunk.
Old 01-01-2024, 01:48 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,975 Likes on 1,932 Posts

Originally Posted by signes
I'm sure I'm missing something very obvious but I see no cig lighter jack in the passenger footwell and there is longer one in the center console. Porsche also gave me the wrong manual so can't look it up. Any owners charging and have figured this out? Would prefer to avoid the pigtail method under the frunk.
my 2023 RS has a 12V outlet in the passenger footwell - it's way up in the corner under the glovebox on the transmission-tunnel/center-console - it's there - you just need to find it.
Old 01-01-2024, 02:53 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 643 Likes on 425 Posts

Thanks Dave. Not sure how I missed that the first time on my hands and knees but it's there. Live the RL virtual owners manual.
The following users liked this post:
MaxLTV (01-01-2024)
Old 01-01-2024, 03:14 PM
lockie
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by signes
Can you charge the lithium battery through this jack. It was a pain in the butt on my 992 GT3 as it had to be done in a certain sequence.
I was going to buy a new charger and directly connect to the battery when my car was stored for a couple of weeks.
Old 01-01-2024, 04:01 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,975 Likes on 1,932 Posts

Originally Posted by lockie
Can you charge the lithium battery through this jack. It was a pain in the butt on my 992 GT3 as it had to be done in a certain sequence.
I was going to buy a new charger and directly connect to the battery when my car was stored for a couple of weeks.
it's a trick. but if you plug in the 12V while the ignition is on (engine running or not) and then turn off the ignition and close and lock the doors - I've had my 12V trickle charger run for days with no issues - but with he 992's it is a trick…

this the 12V charger I'm using for my 992 TurboS and my 992 GT3 RS

Amazon Amazon
Old 01-01-2024, 04:19 PM
3 2 1 Fights On
Instructor

Received 155 Likes on 77 Posts

I plug that same charger into the footwell outlet with the ignition off (within a few minutes of turning off), shut the door and it has worked 100% of the time and never goes off, I don’t lock my doors.
Old 01-01-2024, 05:40 PM
IndyM
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 78 Posts

I had too many issues with the footwell outlet and eventually ended up doing a direct connection to the battery. I have a small pigtail that comes through the plastic cover in the frunk and plug the CTek charger directly in to that. You have to pop the frunk to plug it in, but it’s not any more work than opening the passenger door and plugging in to the 12V outlet. If you plan to keep the car for a while, don’t hesitate to do it.
The following users liked this post:
ADgts40 (01-01-2024)
Old 01-01-2024, 05:55 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by IndyM
I had too many issues with the footwell outlet and eventually ended up doing a direct connection to the battery. I have a small pigtail that comes through the plastic cover in the frunk and plug the CTek charger directly in to that. You have to pop the frunk to plug it in, but it’s not any more work than opening the passenger door and plugging in to the 12V outlet. If you plan to keep the car for a while, don’t hesitate to do it.
What issues did you have? I have been using the passenger footwell for my trickle charger in over 20 Porsches and have had zero issues.
Old 01-01-2024, 06:21 PM
IndyM
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
What issues did you have? I have been using the passenger footwell for my trickle charger in over 20 Porsches and have had zero issues.
It just never charged consistently or would stop charging over extended periods. I do agree with you, and I used the footwell to charge for every car I had through my 991.2 GT3 RS. I had zero problems until my 992 GT3. SA said it has to do with the lithium ion batteries being finicky. I won’t pretend to know the difference, but I do know that the direct connection works flawlessly!

Quick Reply: Jack for battery tender in GT3RS