Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCCB OR Steel for RS track use

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2023, 02:13 AM
pepinozaur
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

Yes, this is what I meant and just to clarify I am a big fan of aftermarket rotors and pads, I am using Girodisc for years since I had my 996TT.

Real story, on my 991 GT2RS the plastic intake (part of the Y pipe) exploded from a combination of age, boost, bad design?, and for sure engine mounts which can stress the ypipe enough. I had to wait a few more days so Porsche will approve my warranty because I had Girodisc rotors. So in some cases we will lose time, in others we will lose our warranty.

My former 991 TTS that was tuned on springs on the suspension, was denied warranty when part of the front right wheel arms/wheel carrier failed.

Now to be realistic, the iron brakes including Manthey(OEM) are maybe 95% of the performance of any other rotor+pads combinaion on the market. They are good, the rotors lasted 6000km of hard tracking the car, mostly on the Nurburgring.
The PCCBs are even better.

So for me, the way I see it, is if Porsche would allow us to do whatever we want, I would change tomorrow the rotors with PFC or Giro as my rotors are gone now and need replacement. I saw some weight savings with the PFCs too, nice!

For PCCBs, I think the Gt3rs doesnt need so much braking compared to my other GT car, the 991 gt2rs, it goes -30kmh on almost every straight, it is more efficient as it carries more speed into the corner, so it needs less braking.
I wouldn't be afraid to go PCCBs now, I converted ceramics to iron on my 991 TTS and GT2, mclaren 720S etc.. so again, I am a lover of aftermarket iron brakes.

Take into consideration that the power of 992 gt3rs is kinda low, at least to what I was used to, any weight reduction will matter, I would do PCCBs now if lap-times would matter. on the 991 there was a 20kg advantage using PCCBs, maybe as the iron brakes are bigger on the 992, but also the rotors are thicker, the difference to be the same or slightly less, I would estimate 18-20kg.

ST are controversial for me, I can not see a proper dealer in Europe, they aren't used by almost anybody here, yet some high performance car manufacturers use them as brake rotors suppliers, and some US guys are very happy.. idk iwhat to say here. Also UK being out of EU, that means some serious custom fees on top and probably time lost in customs procedures.
Old 12-20-2023, 02:14 AM
pepinozaur
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

"Do you know which exact Pagid pads are equivalent to the Manthey pads for PCCB?"

No, I have only the Iron pads now. looking for pccb gt3rs for next year

Last edited by pepinozaur; 12-20-2023 at 02:17 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mthreat (12-21-2023)
Old 02-25-2024, 05:51 PM
Tappet
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Do any of you track heavily with PCCB's? I'm a very experienced track driver and I push cars hard. I know that PCCB's will last longer than iron, but does anyone know how much? I'm just looking at the best braking per dollar. The PCCB's are an order of magnitude more expensive. I won't have much cash left for frequent PCCB brake replacements once I'm done paying a GT3 ADM I've been tracking since 2007 and I've put all my money into seat time in a Lotus, versus upgrading cars, but now that I've reached the limits of that car, I'm really itching for something better, but I can't find any first hand impressions of PCCB versus iron longevity.
Old 02-25-2024, 07:33 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,039 Likes on 2,846 Posts

Most cost effective are the stock iron rotors with track pads and fluid (I personally like RE10 pads and Endless fluid).

Some people also like to spec PCCB’s and sell the rotors and replace them with iron or ST aftermarket carbons, but I haven’t tried than gambit.
Old 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
3 2 1 Fights On
Instructor

Received 150 Likes on 75 Posts

My $.02, if you are going to track the car seriously (let’s say 15 days or more a year) whatever brakes come stock on the car (pads and rotors) take them off and put them on the shelf for when you are done tracking the car or sell it.

15-25 track days a year = Girodisc rotors and pads
> 25 track days a year = AP Big Brake Kit. With either I am a fan of SRF brake fluid.
The following 3 users liked this post by 3 2 1 Fights On:
jetprop (02-29-2024), PET (02-29-2024), Tappet (02-26-2024)

Quick Reply: PCCB OR Steel for RS track use