992 GT3 and GT2RS Forum 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCCB OR Steel for RS track use

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2023, 02:47 PM
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 112 Posts

Irons if you’re tracking heavy and consistently. Also would recommend irons if you’re driving in cold or rainy weather. You’ll still have a bite without having to get the brakes up to temp compared to ceramics.

Ceramics if it’s a spring/summer car, a few track sessions per season, visual appeal, and no brake dust. Better resale value and subject to less scrutiny than iron brakes since folks will automatically assume a car with irons was pushed hard.

The best option? Replacing either route with ST Ceramics. These can be abused like irons, but get all the benefits of ceramics, can also be refinished. These are typically used on top car models such as the Mclaren Senna.
Old 11-29-2023, 02:32 AM
dieselino
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 114 Posts

Assume the pads for the 3RS are the same for the GT3? Meaning you can use the copper 991.2 PCCB GT3 pads. Can anyone confirm?
Old 11-29-2023, 05:06 AM
AbsolutelyNobody
Racer

Received 287 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Hinz Motorsport
How many track events will you do per year? Which tracks?

If you are only doing a handful of track days/year (say 10 or less for simplicity), the factory PCCBs will be up to the task. These are much more durable than 997 or even early 991 gen PCCBs. Unless you are trying to keep them minty fresh for resale, there is no reason not to use them on track. Just make sure to keep at least 6-7mm of pad material on the backing plate when on track and they will last much longer. I tell most customers that if you can spec PCCB, I would do it. Unless you really don't care about brake dust, noise, or weight. Many are reporting excessive dust with the iron brakes on the new GT3 and RS. Track performance leaves a bit to be desired as well with the factory pads, reportedly.

If you get PCCB, you can sell them as new for a lot more than the $9-10K option from the factory. You can then either switch to 2-piece iron (PFC/Girodisc/AP etc.) or upgrade to Surface Transforms carbon ceramics "STs". STs are ceramic discs that are designed for track use. Compared to PCCBs, which use a chopped fiber design, STs use a continuous fiber design which is much more durable, lasts longer, runs cooler, accepts a greater range of pad compounds, and can be refurbished several times. Compared to the factory iron discs, the STs save more than 40 lbs of unsprung rotating mass. Pair these with the Pagid RSC1 compound, and you will have brakes that are noiseless and dustless on the street, and lap record capable on track. RSC1 also offers a superb feel and modulation. If this car is mainly a track car, you can also run PAgid RS29 or RSL1. PFC has also tested a few of its compounds with these discs with good results.

You have a lot of options, but if you are even considering PCCBs, I would get them upfront and then you can decide what to do after. The only caveat is that if PCCBs delay your build (which has happened to others), that can factor in. Sounds like Porsche has gotten ahead of its PCCB supply chain issues though so that shouldn't be a problem.
Are the Surface Transforms a big upgrade over steels on a GT3 if I only plan to track maybe 3-4 times a year? Or is the main benefit just no brake dust? The PCCBs were a nearly 60K option here so I didn't feel they were worth it. Are they also a direct plug and play kit? The climate is hot and humid all year long and rains pretty often. I use the car daily.
Old 11-29-2023, 07:42 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Porsche Super Cup uses iron.
The following 2 users liked this post by brake dust:
smarouli (03-10-2024), wch (12-18-2023)
Old 11-29-2023, 08:14 AM
saksride
Advanced

Received 65 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by mthreat
PCCB is a $10k option, even though just the PCCB rotors alone sell for like $8k each (I'm told). So my understanding is it's almost always better to spec it with PCCBs, even if you plan to swap to steels for the track later. Personally I got PCCBs and I'm using them on the track. There are also 3rd party carbon rotors you can put on from a brand called Surface Transforms, and they are cheaper than Porsche PCCB rotors.. Search the forum for that, there are some threads about it and some resellers here.

Easy Button.

Take off Stock regardless of what you have.
Buy Surface Transformation Carbon Rotors... Better for Street and WAY, WAY, WAY better for track use.
Pick anything and ST Carbons are better.
Lower temp points
colder rotor hats
last longer
can be refurbed
stronger
lighter than even Porsche Carbon
Old 11-29-2023, 09:50 AM
kart125
Burning Brakes

Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by dieselino
Assume the pads for the 3RS are the same for the GT3? Meaning you can use the copper 991.2 PCCB GT3 pads. Can anyone confirm?
From what I've read on another thread on pad choices the 991 copper pads are not available anymore. RSC1 seems to be the best alternative. Car coming soon with PCCB and debating options (RSC1 on OEM PCCB rotors/Girodisc swap/ST swap/AP racing swap...)... Just when I promised myself this car is going to stay stock.
Old 11-29-2023, 11:39 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,908 Likes on 1,901 Posts

How many track events will you do per year? Which tracks?

If you are only doing a handful of track days/year (say 10 or less for simplicity), the factory PCCBs will be up to the task. These are much more durable than 997 or even early 991 gen PCCBs. Unless you are trying to keep them minty fresh for resale, there is no reason not to use them on track. Just make sure to keep at least 6-7mm of pad material on the backing plate when on track and they will last much longer. I tell most customers that if you can spec PCCB, I would do it. Unless you really don't care about brake dust, noise, or weight. Many are reporting excessive dust with the iron brakes on the new GT3 and RS. Track performance leaves a bit to be desired as well with the factory pads, reportedly.

If you get PCCB, you can sell them as new for a lot more than the $9-10K option from the factory. You can then either switch to 2-piece iron (PFC/Girodisc/AP etc.) or upgrade to Surface Transforms carbon ceramics "STs". STs are ceramic discs that are designed for track use. Compared to PCCBs, which use a chopped fiber design, STs use a continuous fiber design which is much more durable, lasts longer, runs cooler, accepts a greater range of pad compounds, and can be refurbished several times. Compared to the factory iron discs, the STs save more than 40 lbs of unsprung rotating mass. Pair these with the Pagid RSC1 compound, and you will have brakes that are noiseless and dustless on the street, and lap record capable on track. RSC1 also offers a superb feel and modulation. If this car is mainly a track car, you can also run PAgid RS29 or RSL1. PFC has also tested a few of its compounds with these discs with good results.

You have a lot of options, but if you are even considering PCCBs, I would get them upfront and then you can decide what to do after. The only caveat is that if PCCBs delay your build (which has happened to others), that can factor in. Sounds like Porsche has gotten ahead of its PCCB supply chain issues though so that shouldn't be a problem.
I'm very tempted by this upgrade for my incoming 992 RS - my 2023 911 GT3 RS 992 is coming to me with Factory PCCB's…so I''m torn as to what to do…I tracked my previous GT3 both with GyroDiscs and factory PCCB's

are there any existing threads talking about how one determines it's time to have the rotors refurbished? how does one factually "know" the rotors are in need of this service? I know with PCCB's I can both weigh them and/or measure their density with the carbotech tool…I know wear is variable - but is there an actual objective measurement/inspection one can do to determine the state of the rotors? Or is it purely based on best-practice track milage recommendations?

also can you confirm these rotors are 100% bolt on "swap" for the factory PCCB's for a 992 GT3 RS?

what is the lead time on ordering?

thanks!

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 11-29-2023 at 11:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (12-01-2023)
Old 11-29-2023, 02:48 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,779 Likes on 5,141 Posts

Originally Posted by brake dust
Porsche Super Cup uses iron.
That's b/c of regulations, not by choice.

If given the choice, the Super Cup series participants would be using PCCBs.
Old 11-29-2023, 02:51 PM
MV911T
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

PCCBs back in boxes with steel replacements as Porsche Cup uses.
Old 11-29-2023, 03:11 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,039 Likes on 2,846 Posts

A couple things to consider for those who have no interest in actually driving with PCCB's (but will remove for sale and buy iron replacements):

Your sales tax, license registration, and insurance premiums will all be calculated on an additional $10k of purchase price. The price for Iron replacement rotors and pads for PCCB is not chep. You may (or may not) still come out ahead, but may or may not be worth the hassle. And if Red calipers go well with your build, all the more reason to spec Iron brakes.

Last edited by GrantG; 11-29-2023 at 03:13 PM.
Mech33 (11-30-2023)
Old 11-29-2023, 03:16 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,779 Likes on 5,141 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
A couple things to consider for those who have no interest in actually driving with PCCB's (but will remove for sale and buy iron replacements):

Your sales tax, license registration, and insurance premiums will all be calculated on an additional $10k of purchase price. The price for Iron replacement rotors and pads for PCCB is not chep. You may (or may not) still come out ahead, but may or may not be worth the hassle. And if Red calipers go well with your build, all the more reason to spec Iron brakes.
That's pretty negligible considering we are talking about a 300K car in most cases.
Old 11-29-2023, 03:23 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,039 Likes on 2,846 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
That's pretty negligible considering we are talking about a 300K car in most cases.
I would counter with the same argument, if one is buying PCCB's to only possibly make a couple dollars by selling them and replacing the pads and rotors with Iron.
M&Abanker4life (03-01-2024)
Old 11-29-2023, 03:32 PM
George P.
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 127 Posts

I am also in a the position to consider swapping to Girodisc or ST this upcoming season - since i am planning on more track days this up coming season.
Ran only a few days last season on stock PCCBs.
I am not sure what the right answer will be. Cost wise i think it’s 4K for girodisc switch. But then im using Irons. I think it was closer to 15k for ST switch but then 2400/refurbishing (600 per disc) and per the website its every 4K hard track miles.
Old 11-29-2023, 06:15 PM
Hinz Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 324 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by AbsolutelyNobody
Are the Surface Transforms a big upgrade over steels on a GT3 if I only plan to track maybe 3-4 times a year? Or is the main benefit just no brake dust? The PCCBs were a nearly 60K option here so I didn't feel they were worth it. Are they also a direct plug and play kit? The climate is hot and humid all year long and rains pretty often. I use the car daily.
Absolutely. Braking performance is consistent lap after lap. On the new models with 408mm front iron and 380mm rear iron discs, the weight savings are substantial (over 40lbs of unsprung, rotating mass). The STs will last way longer than iron, run cooler than PCCB, and will be basically noiseless and dustless when paired with the Pagid RSC1 compound. ST has a direct plug-and-play kit for the 992 GT3 with either PCCB or iron and a kit for the 992 GT3RS with Iron. They haven't gotten their hands on a 992RS PCCB car yet to take measurements. That said, I am shipping out a 992 GT3 PCCB Replacement kit to a 992RS customer with factory PCCB tomorrow to test fit. Based on what we know I think it will bolt right up. In short, the ST kits for the 992 GT3/RS will mimic OE sizes. No spacers, bolts, or anything is needed for as it is truly a direct swap. Other comments about these not working in the cold or wet do not apply to the STs with RSC1, according to all the feedback I have been given.
Originally Posted by kart125
From what I've read on another thread on pad choices the 991 copper pads are not available anymore. RSC1 seems to be the best alternative. Car coming soon with PCCB and debating options (RSC1 on OEM PCCB rotors/Girodisc swap/ST swap/AP racing swap...)... Just when I promised myself this car is going to stay stock.
The old compounds are getting harder and harder to find. Just switch to RSC1, readily available (I keep these in stock myself always). Excellent feel, bite, modulation, low dust, and noise, great wearing, track capable, all while being gentle on rotors.

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
I'm very tempted by this upgrade for my incoming 992 RS - my 2023 911 GT3 RS 992 is coming to me with Factory PCCB's…so I''m torn as to what to do…I tracked my previous GT3 both with GyroDiscs and factory PCCB's

are there any existing threads talking about how one determines it's time to have the rotors refurbished? how does one factually "know" the rotors are in need of this service? I know with PCCB's I can both weigh them and/or measure their density with the carbotech tool…I know wear is variable - but is there an actual objective measurement/inspection one can do to determine the state of the rotors? Or is it purely based on best-practice track milage recommendations?

also can you confirm these rotors are 100% bolt on "swap" for the factory PCCB's for a 992 GT3 RS?

what is the lead time on ordering?

thanks!
If you are referring to the STs, they just sent me over an "owners manual" for the STs that I will be distributing to all my customers. In the manual it shows you what to look for and how to identify varying states of wear and whether or not it is time to refurb your discs. I have been selling these for 2 years now to customers of all driving styles and have yet to have anyone need a refurbishment. These discs last a long time. I have lots of GT4, 991, and 992 inventory currently with more on the way. As mentioned above, we believe the 992 GT3 PCCB kits will work on the 992RS PCCB cars, and should have that information in a couple of weeks. If it does fit, I should have more kits here in a few weeks which are already on order. If it doesn't fit, those kits will likely be 10-12 weeks out. Bear in mind, when I say fit or doesn't fit, we are only talking 1-2mm in offset, so changes will be minor, if at all needed.

Originally Posted by Gpoulos
I am also in a the position to consider swapping to Girodisc or ST this upcoming season - since i am planning on more track days this up coming season.
Ran only a few days last season on stock PCCBs.
I am not sure what the right answer will be. Cost wise i think it’s 4K for girodisc switch. But then im using Irons. I think it was closer to 15k for ST switch but then 2400/refurbishing (600 per disc) and per the website its every 4K hard track miles.
Their numbers are a bit conservative, but every situation is a bit different so "your mileage may vary" is rather apt here. I am also putting together a package featuring PFC calipers and ST rotors. This will allow you to run 19" wheels with PCCB-sized discs without concern of damaging your wheels. You will also get pads up to 28/26mm thick (with the wider "R" calipers) that will extend the life of everything basically. You will also drop another 15+lbs off the car for a total weight savings of 60lb+ of unsprung weight. The confidence gained from the PFC calipers is unmatched, coupled with the downforce and grip the new RS generates, you will see a reduction in lap time. I immediately started going 2 seconds a lap faster at Road America (on slicks) after installing the PFC calipers, it is ridiculous. This PFC/ST Package is really only needed for hard-core track cars. Otherwise, if there is a lot of street use involved the stock calipers with ST rotors will be an excellent upgrade.

HINZ MOTORSPORT
Race Parts & Accessories for your PORSCHE
www.HinzMotorsport.com
Call: 414-212-5679
Email: rick@hinzmotorsport.com
The following 3 users liked this post by Hinz Motorsport:
AbsolutelyNobody (11-30-2023), Jevi Javi (12-30-2023), mthreat (11-29-2023)
Old 11-29-2023, 06:26 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,908 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Absolutely. Braking performance is consistent lap after lap. On the new models with 408mm front iron and 380mm rear iron discs, the weight savings are substantial (over 40lbs of unsprung, rotating mass). The STs will last way longer than iron, run cooler than PCCB, and will be basically noiseless and dustless when paired with the Pagid RSC1 compound. ST has a direct plug-and-play kit for the 992 GT3 with either PCCB or iron and a kit for the 992 GT3RS with Iron. They haven't gotten their hands on a 992RS PCCB car yet to take measurements. That said, I am shipping out a 992 GT3 PCCB Replacement kit to a 992RS customer with factory PCCB tomorrow to test fit. Based on what we know I think it will bolt right up. In short, the ST kits for the 992 GT3/RS will mimic OE sizes. No spacers, bolts, or anything is needed for as it is truly a direct swap. Other comments about these not working in the cold or wet do not apply to the STs with RSC1, according to all the feedback I have been given.

The old compounds are getting harder and harder to find. Just switch to RSC1, readily available (I keep these in stock myself always). Excellent feel, bite, modulation, low dust, and noise, great wearing, track capable, all while being gentle on rotors.

If you are referring to the STs, they just sent me over an "owners manual" for the STs that I will be distributing to all my customers. In the manual it shows you what to look for and how to identify varying states of wear and whether or not it is time to refurb your discs. I have been selling these for 2 years now to customers of all driving styles and have yet to have anyone need a refurbishment. These discs last a long time. I have lots of GT4, 991, and 992 inventory currently with more on the way. As mentioned above, we believe the 992 GT3 PCCB kits will work on the 992RS PCCB cars, and should have that information in a couple of weeks. If it does fit, I should have more kits here in a few weeks which are already on order. If it doesn't fit, those kits will likely be 10-12 weeks out. Bear in mind, when I say fit or doesn't fit, we are only talking 1-2mm in offset, so changes will be minor, if at all needed.

Their numbers are a bit conservative, but every situation is a bit different so "your mileage may vary" is rather apt here. I am also putting together a package featuring PFC calipers and ST rotors. This will allow you to run 19" wheels with PCCB-sized discs without concern of damaging your wheels. You will also get pads up to 28/26mm thick (with the wider "R" calipers) that will extend the life of everything basically. You will also drop another 15+lbs off the car for a total weight savings of 60lb+ of unsprung weight. The confidence gained from the PFC calipers is unmatched, coupled with the downforce and grip the new RS generates, you will see a reduction in lap time. I immediately started going 2 seconds a lap faster at Road America (on slicks) after installing the PFC calipers, it is ridiculous. This PFC/ST Package is really only needed for hard-core track cars. Otherwise, if there is a lot of street use involved the stock calipers with ST rotors will be an excellent upgrade.
yes I was referring to the ST's - thank you for your response - so are you saying recommended refurbishment is 4-5k track miles, but so far refurbishment times have exceed those recommendations, and there are specific characteristics to look for in terms of "time to refurbish" - this would also indicate to me that you'll swap multiple pad sets long before needing to send the rotors in for refurbishment? correct?

no problems using ST's on the street in all sorts of california weather (rain, cold, etc)?

please keep me in the loop regarding availability for the ST rotors for a 992 RS - I'm getting very very close to pulling the trigger…perhaps a discount on full set "front & rears" and a few sets of RSC1 pads as a "total" kit might push me over the edge as a XMAS bonus ;-) feel free to PM me your best offer.
mthreat (11-29-2023)

Quick Reply: PCCB OR Steel for RS track use