Sponsored by:

PSA: 992 GT3RS Dead Battery

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2023, 06:20 PM
mthreat
Pro

Received 353 Likes on 185 Posts

Thanks for posting on this thread.. I have a few questions about your harness:

1. When it is tucked away, is it exposed to rain, and if so, is the metal corrosion resistant?
2. (Disregard - see answer below) Can this harness plug be used for, say, a CTEK battery charger that people often use on their Porsche with Lithium batteries? I.e., is the plug compatible, or is there an adapter for this?
3. When you refer to "Lithium batteries", does this also mean LiFePO4 batteries? <-- probably a dumb question, but I didn't want to assume anything.
4. Does everything you said above also apply to the GT3 RS? (I guess it's slightly different from the GT3 in that it doesn't have a frunk button on the key fob)

Thank you.

Edit: I just found the answer to question #2 above in your video. (The answer is no, because the inline diode interferes with charging).

Originally Posted by Antigravity
Hey all,
After alot of testing we found the Frunk Switch does open easily if the Car is energized AT THE BATTERY itself. When this is done, you DO get a solid opening of the Frunk Latch every time because the voltage/current can go through its normal path and deliver that higher current needed for the latch. So, several years ago we designed a solution for this exact problem by making a wire harness that connects directly to the battery clamps at the Car Battery itself and then is routed to a place outside of the car. In our GT3 we routed it to the outside of the car where the windsheild meets the hoods of the car you can see in the images below , it can then be tucked away after use and not seen. The plug on the end of this Harness can work with our MICRO-START Jump Starters and some other Brands that use a similar type of Connector. So what you do is simply connect our MICRO-START Jump STarter to this wire harness, and you can then either use it to open the Frunk, or Jump Start the Car. So its a super simple, inexpensive and easy to install Harness that eliminates this problem from happening to you. I put the video below to explain it better.... works for any vehicles that have this similar issue of needing power to the system for something to work.

Last edited by mthreat; 07-09-2023 at 06:26 PM.
Old 07-10-2023, 02:29 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,004 Likes on 563 Posts

Originally Posted by mthreat
Thanks for posting on this thread.. I have a few questions about your harness:

1. When it is tucked away, is it exposed to rain, and if so, is the metal corrosion resistant?
2. (Disregard - see answer below) Can this harness plug be used for, say, a CTEK battery charger that people often use on their Porsche with Lithium batteries? I.e., is the plug compatible, or is there an adapter for this?
3. When you refer to "Lithium batteries", does this also mean LiFePO4 batteries? <-- probably a dumb question, but I didn't want to assume anything.
4. Does everything you said above also apply to the GT3 RS? (I guess it's slightly different from the GT3 in that it doesn't have a frunk button on the key fob)

Thank you.

Edit: I just found the answer to question #2 above in your video. (The answer is no, because the inline diode interferes with charging).
Hey Mthreat, here are the answers to your questions.

They come with a rubbery type cover to protect the tip

I will answer this anyway so every knows. No, you cannot use this Harness with the Chargers because our cable has a DIODE on it to prevent back-charge to the Jump Starter that is connected to it for safety. But you can still connect this harness as well as a Battery Charger SAE connector to your terminals.. but yes you have to use two different cables. As an FYI for all....the SAE Battery Charger type cable/connector won't handle the current of a Jump STarter so no one should try to use it for one, it will melt quickly.

Not a dumb questions at all, there will be other readers who will read this in the future so I should have stated that. But YES when I say "Lithium", I meant the LIFEPO4 Chemistry that we use in our Car and Powersports Batteries, same as what Porsche and most all Automotive "Starter Batteries" are made of. For those who don't know there are several different chemical make-ups of Lithium Batteries, "Lithium-Ion" is usually used as an umbrella term meaning rechargeable lithium batteries, but a Powertool or Jump Starter use a different lithium chemisty type of battery than a Car Starter Battery so they cannot be used in a Car, but they will have a Battery Management System also.

4. Does everything you said above also apply to the GT3 RS? (I guess it's slightly different from the GT3 in that it doesn't have a frunk button on the key fob).

The part of my post about Porsches Frunk opening was based on my personal 2016 GT3 RS (now sold), and it actually DID have a Frunk-Open button on the keyfob, and the switch by the driver seat, which is typical for most Porsches in that era and previous, BUT I don't know about the 992s being I have not been in one or seen one.

Last edited by Antigravity; 07-10-2023 at 02:30 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Antigravity:
daveo4porsche (07-10-2023), mthreat (07-10-2023)
Old 08-08-2023, 03:26 AM
mthreat
Pro

Originally Posted by HC700
UPDATE: So after no luck with the procedure outlined in the manual, car had to be dollied onto flatbed and towed to dealer.

Front wheel had to be removed along with the fender liner in order to access the service only hood release cable hidden near the headlight/front bumper area.

Again we are unsure if this is specific to this car that the procedure in the manual doesn't work or they are all like that as there are too few out there and hopefully none are dead to experience this. Key point really is to either keep the car on a charger if you can or pop the front trunk during non-driving period if stored in a secure area until more data comes in.

Any update on this @HC700 ? I'm curious if this problem exists on some or all of the 992 GT3 RS fleet.
Old 11-18-2023, 11:16 PM
motown
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Antigravity
Hey all,

Antigravity Batteries here and I wanted to chime in on a couple points over the next few posts... If I missed or repeat something already stated sorry. I'm just posting after reading a majority of the posts but not every one.

In regards to not being able to get in the Frunk because the Porsche Lithium Battery, or your Lead/Acid Battery has died in your 992 or other varient of Porsche....

The best method to get into your trunk if the Porsche Lithium Battery or a Lead/Acid Battery goes dead in your 992 or other 911 varient, is actually not at the Fuse Panel's red buss. Yes, that can work sometimes but it is very hit and miss, the issue is that the Red Buss you pull out in the fuse panel does not really supply the Frunk Open switch with high enough energy to get a solid amount of voltage/current to frunk latch , this is due mainly because it uses too thin of a gauge of wire to really allow the frunk open switch to draw the current/voltage it needs to get a solid opening of the latch. , for example if you connected a mini Jump Starter to the Red Panel in many cases you will not get the Frunk switch to open when using the button on the rocker panel , nor if using the Cars Keyfob, but the Keyfob did seem to work better for whatever reason.

After alot of testing we found the Frunk Switch does open easily if the Car is energized AT THE BATTERY itself. When this is done, you DO get a solid opening of the Frunk Latch every time because the voltage/current can go through its normal path and deliver that higher current needed for the latch. So, several years ago we designed a solution for this exact problem by making a wire harness that connects directly to the battery clamps at the Car Battery itself and then is routed to a place outside of the car. In our GT3 we routed it to the outside of the car where the windsheild meets the hoods of the car you can see in the images below , it can then be tucked away after use and not seen. The plug on the end of this Harness can work with our MICRO-START Jump Starters and some other Brands that use a similar type of Connector. So what you do is simply connect our MICRO-START Jump STarter to this wire harness, and you can then either use it to open the Frunk, or Jump Start the Car. So its a super simple, inexpensive and easy to install Harness that eliminates this problem from happening to you. I put the video below to explain it better.... works for any vehicles that have this similar issue of needing power to the system for something to work.
LINK TO ANTIGRAVITY CLAMPLESS HARNESS https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...s-msa10b-long/

PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING. If you have a Porsche Lithium Battery that is in its PROTECTION or SLEEP MODE, then you want to make sure it is AWAKE if you are going to try to START it with a Jump Sarter. The reason for this is because the Jump Starter can supply the energy to start the Car, but if your Porsche Lithium Battery is in its SLEEP/PROTECTION mode then it wll NOT take a charge, nor be providing the Battery buffer function and proper operation to the car. In some cases simply connecting our Jump STarter to the Porsche Battery MAY awaken the Porsche Lithium Battery from its SLEEP/PROTECTION MODE, but the Porsche Lithium Battery also sometimes goes into permanant LOCK-OUT mode, which makes it so it won't even function. The point is to make sure the battery is indeed awake if you plan to "Start" the Car with a jump starter, and not just get into the Frunk. YOu can check for this if the battery is showing voltage at the terminals at about 10v and above would show it awake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pMXB1SV_kQ
@Antigravity

I went to your website and the 42" clampless https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...s-msa10b-long/ wire harness says compatible with the XP-10 (Gen 1) and the XP-10-HD??? They are out of stock.

Does that harness work with the micro starter HD-20? https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...-starts/xp-20/

Also, if I hooked this up so I can open the hood... will it then jump the car or would I still have to then get the cables out to jump the car after it allows me to get the hood open?

I am trying to make this crazy issue of dead car go away if I forget to add the trickle charger. I would like to store this device in the car in case I have to drive to long term parking and leave it for 4 days (last week I left the 992 TTS for 4 lousy days and found her dead upon arrival. errrrrr.

Last edited by motown; 11-18-2023 at 11:18 PM.
Old 11-20-2023, 03:33 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,004 Likes on 563 Posts

Originally Posted by motown
@Antigravity

I went to your website and the 42" clampless https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...s-msa10b-long/ wire harness says compatible with the XP-10 (Gen 1) and the XP-10-HD??? They are out of stock.

Does that harness work with the micro starter HD-20? https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...-starts/xp-20/

Also, if I hooked this up so I can open the hood... will it then jump the car or would I still have to then get the cables out to jump the car after it allows me to get the hood open?

I am trying to make this crazy issue of dead car go away if I forget to add the trickle charger. I would like to store this device in the car in case I have to drive to long term parking and leave it for 4 days (last week I left the 992 TTS for 4 lousy days and found her dead upon arrival. errrrrr.
Hi Motown,

The XP-20 has a different harness becuase the plug is different from the other MICRO-START models. WE should be getting the new XP-20 Harness in a few weeks if not sooner, but I will check on this.

FOR SURE the CLAMPLESS HARNESS can be used to Jump Start and/or Open the Frunk in seconds. So by plugging it into your MICRO-START you have your cars complete system energized as if you have a battery in the Car, so you can open the frunk or Jump Start the Car easily. The problem with using the RED buss bar on the fuse panel is it doesn't always work well and I think this is becuase it such a small gauge wire, but also the front end of the charge system isn't energized well enough, meaning the battery itself. So since the MICRO-START is connected directly to the battery itself and it cable it is getting full power to the system so all the accessories work better.

Old 11-20-2023, 03:55 PM
SB27
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
I've done this procedure more times that I would like to discuss

but i know for a fact it works for my 2022 911 TurboS and 2020 Taycan, never had to do it for my 991.2 2018 GT3

the trick I've found is having a good ground/negative for the "fuse" box portion of the procedure.
Agree with Dave 100% -- it make take some searching to find a good negative ground. The metallic door tab doesn't always do the trick - unfortunately.

Like Dave, I have to do this routine 10-15 times now. Sigh.
Old 04-05-2024, 02:35 PM
uW0227
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
I'm still confused - so you've tired the procedure outlined in the RS manual and it does not unlock the frunk?

so you are saying factually:

1. the procedure as documented for the 2023/2024 911 GT3 RS does not work - and you have personal experience with this…
2. there is no procedure for unlocking the frunk with a dead battery on a 2023/2024 911 GT3 RS?

and the dealer knows this and Porsche Germany has no response?
My 05/2023 3RS has the exact issue last night,We followed every steps on the owner’s manual,it didn’t works.
Old 04-05-2024, 02:40 PM
uW0227
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HC700
Yup we have tried that procedure following the manual to a tee and no luck. Advising customers with these cars to either plug in a charger or leave the frunk popped in storage to avoid this situation for now.

Car is being towed into the dealer to see what the next step. We are unsure if it is this specific car's problem or not but not much sample data out there yet.
I’m pretty sure is a issue with the 992RS because I went through all the problems you get last night.Followed every procedure on the owners manual it didn’t work.
Old 04-05-2024, 03:07 PM
StealthGT3
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts

I had the same issue happen to me on a 992 Touring.

Battery goes to sleep, not dead.

Buy a booster pack, this will work.

Old 04-05-2024, 03:18 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

If the issue arises, simply call Porsche Roadside Service.
Old 04-06-2024, 11:36 AM
wotaskd
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 117 Posts

Just so it doesn't get lost to anyone following this thread, the OP's main point is that the standard procedure to open the frunk with the 992 GT3 RS differs from other 992's as the frunk button is absent from the key fob; and, unfortunately, it seems like anyone who has been in the situation of having to access the frunk after getting a battery go dead or into sleep mode, is not able to do it by following the documented procedure from the official manual (which, for the RS, involves pulling the frunk button on the passenger compartment for 2+ seconds).

So far, it seems that no one here who has been in that situation with a 992 RS model has been able to open the frunk following the manual procedure (connect battery to fuse box terminal, pull frunk button on pax compartment for 2 secs). Can we confirm that?

Which leads to...

Option 1 which is to just keep the car always connected to a charger. I can tell you that is not a guarantee you will be ok. While I still haven't received my RS, I have had many problems over time with my 992 TTS and having the car go dead, literally a few minutes after unplugging it from a Porsche charger that has been connected directly to the battery terminals in the frunk for weeks, while indicating the battery to be fully charged. I don't expect not to have those kinds of issues with the RS.

Option 2 is to hardwire a cable from the battery terminals in the frunk to allow a jump starter (ex: from Antigravity Batteries) to be used to start the car and thus bypassing the need to open the frunk first. That seems like the best approach so far but hat also implies anyone who needs to use the battery terminals to connect the charger (to bypass the ridiculous steps one needs to follow in order to successfully charge the car using the 12V plug) will need to connect a second wire to the battery so it can be used by the charger.

Option 3 is to just leave the frunk unlocked, which will probably be my approach until this issue gets sorted out.

In all honesty, the design decisions behind the battery charging and troubleshooting procedures are so stupid but have been around for so long that by now it is obvious that they are not here by accident. I just wonder how many of those engineers actually do understand what they put customers through. I can't speak for other rennlisters but in my case, my previous 991 RS was a car that I did not daily drive; that's what the TTS is for. For me, it was just natural to expect that this type of car would spend more of its life garaged in comparison to others, and that a better and easier approach to keeping it charged would be top of mind. But maybe I'm just wrong.

Anyways, thanks for the PSA. I'll keep it in mind when I receive the car.

Last edited by wotaskd; 04-06-2024 at 11:43 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mthreat (04-06-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 03:45 PM
rshanholtz
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by wotaskd
Just so it doesn't get lost to anyone following this thread, the OP's main point is that the standard procedure to open the frunk with the 992 GT3 RS differs from other 992's as the frunk button is absent from the key fob; and, unfortunately, it seems like anyone who has been in the situation of having to access the frunk after getting a battery go dead or into sleep mode, is not able to do it by following the documented procedure from the official manual (which, for the RS, involves pulling the frunk button on the passenger compartment for 2+ seconds).

So far, it seems that no one here who has been in that situation with a 992 RS model has been able to open the frunk following the manual procedure (connect battery to fuse box terminal, pull frunk button on pax compartment for 2 secs). Can we confirm that?

Which leads to...

Option 1 which is to just keep the car always connected to a charger. I can tell you that is not a guarantee you will be ok. While I still haven't received my RS, I have had many problems over time with my 992 TTS and having the car go dead, literally a few minutes after unplugging it from a Porsche charger that has been connected directly to the battery terminals in the frunk for weeks, while indicating the battery to be fully charged. I don't expect not to have those kinds of issues with the RS.

Option 2 is to hardwire a cable from the battery terminals in the frunk to allow a jump starter (ex: from Antigravity Batteries) to be used to start the car and thus bypassing the need to open the frunk first. That seems like the best approach so far but hat also implies anyone who needs to use the battery terminals to connect the charger (to bypass the ridiculous steps one needs to follow in order to successfully charge the car using the 12V plug) will need to connect a second wire to the battery so it can be used by the charger.

Option 3 is to just leave the frunk unlocked, which will probably be my approach until this issue gets sorted out.

In all honesty, the design decisions behind the battery charging and troubleshooting procedures are so stupid but have been around for so long that by now it is obvious that they are not here by accident. I just wonder how many of those engineers actually do understand what they put customers through. I can't speak for other rennlisters but in my case, my previous 991 RS was a car that I did not daily drive; that's what the TTS is for. For me, it was just natural to expect that this type of car would spend more of its life garaged in comparison to others, and that a better and easier approach to keeping it charged would be top of mind. But maybe I'm just wrong.

Anyways, thanks for the PSA. I'll keep it in mind when I receive the car.
ADD ME TO THE LIST - the procedure to open the frunk with a dead battery on my RS did NOT work. Tech had to come to house and access the frunk pull cable from the inner front left wheel well. It took him about 5 minutes to feel for it, find it, and pull it. This tech had tried on another RS with the same issue while at the Porsche Shop but was unable to get the cable to pull. After taking off the front bumper on that car they discovered that on that RS the frunk pull cable was wound/twisted around another cable. Luckily my frunk cable release was not tangled with another cable. I now have the CTEK extension on the battery tucked up outside of frunk near passenger side. I connect the CTEK lithium charger everyday time I shut the car off. If I am going to be gone for awhile I will also pop the frunk, use a screw driver to push down the closer so the car thinks the frunk is closed, then lock the car. So far, no further issues.

One thing to note, when my battery dies, I did notice the rear brake light was on but assumed the timer would turn it off when the car while locked would go to sleep. Apparently even though the car was locked, the brake light stayed on for some unknown reason. When I was transporting the car recently, the car was locked and strapped down and the brake was staying on again. So I reached in and cycled the auto light switch and then the rear light went off. No idea why but be aware of the rear brake light staying on. I am referring to the long red brake light and not the 3rd brake light.
wotaskd (04-12-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 03:59 PM
wotaskd
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 117 Posts

Pretty frustrating. I feel for you. I just got the Antigravity jump start extension cable and will have it connected directly to the battery, along with the NOCO cable I currently use for the charger. That, along with keeping the frunk partially open when I'm away for more than a couple of weeks will be my plan.

Happy to be able to use roadside assistance during emergencies but I have had already my fair share of waiting for hours for someone to show up and I do value my time...
Old 04-12-2024, 04:11 PM
rshanholtz
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 67 Posts

Pretty frustrating. I feel for you. I just got the Antigravity jump start extension cable and will have it connected directly to the battery, along with the NOCO cable I currently use for the charger. That, along with keeping the frunk partially open when I'm away for more than a couple of weeks will be my plan.

Happy to be able to use roadside assistance during emergencies but I have had already my fair share of waiting for hours for someone to show up and I do value my time...

Your best bet is to have a Porsche Tech show you where the cable pull is inside the wheel well because Roadside will only be able to flatbed the car to a dealer and without dollies, they will drag the car the whole way. And that is assuming your car isn't in a garage which would make it even harder to drag. No way to unlock PDK to go to neutral.
wotaskd (04-12-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 09:32 PM
mthreat
Pro

So is this something that Porsche can fix, and is planning to fix?

Quick Reply: PSA: 992 GT3RS Dead Battery