Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dashcam Prewire: What’s Exposed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2023, 11:29 PM
AtTheGlen
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Dashcam Prewire: What’s Exposed?

A Rennlist search produces several threads with references to the prewire, but in scanning these across several forums, I didn’t find a photo or description of what actually shows up on the delivered car.

1. I assume there are no wires dangling, but is there a connector visible or simply the wires under the headliner for Porsche-dealer installation?

2. Also, it looks as if there is a flat plate onto which the dashcam slides/locks, but it looks from this bulletin (posted on the 992 forum) that the plate is part of the dashcam installation kit. https://rparts-sites.s3.amazonaws.co...HCAM_INSTR.pdf

It would be terrific if someone with the prewire option but no dashcam installed yet could shoot and post a photo or provide a description of what’s up there by the rear view mirror. I have a couple of GoPros that can do continuous looping, and while they take up more room on the windshield (but on the passenger side), the newer one is 4K and has improved video stabilization. That said, it is probably not a bad investment to get the prewire as long as it doesn’t mess up the interior.

I’d appreciate any feedback on this. My build lock is less than a month away. I love motorsports, I love the brand and I’m very excited about going back to a GT3.
Old 06-11-2023, 11:48 PM
mthreat
Pro

Received 357 Likes on 188 Posts

Here are two threads on the topic, in case you haven't seen these yet - there may be photos you're looking for there:

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1307...-and-rear.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1336...w-dashcam.html

I think there is a 6-pin connector with 3 wires: ground, constant power, and ignition power. In that thread, user @audi4t gives the specs and a link to buy the mating connector on eBay (or the $30 one from Porsche).

One problem with GoPros is overheating in the sun. I use them in airplanes and it's a constant issue in the summer. Once the A/C kicks in they may be ok.

Either way, the pre-wire option is only like $130 so I would do it for sure (and I did on my spec). In some cars it also adds a wire for a rear dashcam.
The following 2 users liked this post by mthreat:
AtTheGlen (06-12-2023), BlazinPond (06-11-2023)
Old 06-12-2023, 12:05 AM
obbob
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 78 Posts

This shows it:

GoPro isn't suited to be a dashcam, even with continous recording. Dashcam is all about event capture, automatic start/stop recording, and endurance at the expense of picture quality. Dashcams record in constantly repeating 1 minute long clips so you can easily pinpoint the moment when an event happens. Dashcams also have a parking mode that allows for recording while parked without killing the car battery (not sure if Porsche's does though).

All these traits are terrible for capturing your track day personal records but crucial in making sure that scumbag hit and run or smash and grabber gets caught.
The following users liked this post:
AtTheGlen (06-12-2023)
Old 06-12-2023, 12:30 AM
AtTheGlen
Rennlist Member

Default Thanks! Great Responses, Great Info

@mthreat and @obbob I really appreciate your responding so quickly with information that makes the decision easy. Based on links provided, it is clear that there are no wires, connectors or mounting plates exposed when ordering the prewire. So it makes sense to have that done at the factory. The information about GoPros overheating and not being well-suited for dashcam continuous looping are very helpful and make sense. I’ve never used a GoPro for looping, only for recording outings on good driving roads including PCA club events.

I don’t drive my 911 when going to places like a Costo or Home Depot where parking damage could occur even when parked remotely, but on those occasions when I will be out in the new car, having the dashcam would be a plus, and it’s a lot easier to install for a few hours use than a GoPro, which I wouldn’t usually carry in the car. Our exchange of posts made me realize that having a dashcam when driving here in SoCal where the driving style resembles what I’ve seen on my Forza and Horizon video games would be a good investment. I’ll do the prewire on my build and hope that when I’m ready to buy the dashcam, Porsche will have a 4K unit, although in one of the referenced links, the resolution in an U.K. service advisor’s “how-to” video was good.

BTW, Germany, like us, has left-hand drive. It seems as if it would have been better if the camera were mounted on the passenger side even though it would be a longer reach to the buttons. Just sayin’

So again, thanks and I think your posts will help others who are making this decision on their new Porsche builds.
Old 06-12-2023, 12:40 AM
mthreat
Pro

Received 357 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by AtTheGlen
@mthreat and @obbob I really appreciate your responding so quickly with information that makes the decision easy. Based on links provided, it is clear that there are no wires, connectors or mounting plates exposed when ordering the prewire. So it makes sense to have that done at the factory. The information about GoPros overheating and not being well-suited for dashcam continuous looping are very helpful and make sense. I’ve never used a GoPro for looping, only for recording outings on good driving roads including PCA club events.
BTW, Germany, like us, has left-hand drive. It seems as if it would have been better if the camera were mounted on the passenger side even though it would be a longer reach to the buttons. Just sayin’
I'm also planning to install a dashcam in my 992, but after my research, I don't plan to get the Porsche one. The Porsche dashcam looks big, ugly, and just not as good as 3rd party options. I'll probably get the Viofo A139 Pro, which is 4K front, and has the option for a rear camera too (1080p). But I will still take advantage of the pre-wire, for both the dashcam and for hardwiring a radar detector. For dash cam reviews, I recommend a youtube channel called Vortex Radar. Here's his 2023 dashcam buyer's guide video:

Old 06-12-2023, 02:40 PM
darylbowden
Rennlist Member

Received 504 Likes on 332 Posts

I ordered the dashcam prep/wiring and will be picking my car up next weekend (getting PPF and ceramic now) - if you haven't gotten a good picture by then I can snap one for you.
AtTheGlen (06-12-2023)
Old 06-12-2023, 06:36 PM
AtTheGlen
Rennlist Member

Default Congratulations On Your New Car!

Thanks for your post. When convenient (I don't lock for about a month....), let us know if you see any visible signs of the prewire like an exposed connection. From what I've been reading above, it doesn't appear that you will. Presumably the dashcam installer (owner, Porsche service or other) will retrieve the connector at the rearview mirror housing. Anyway, a photo would be great especially if you include one (or more) of the outside. Enjoy many happy miles and smiles in the new car!
Old 06-12-2023, 06:41 PM
rshanholtz
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 67 Posts

In this very recent video, the "pre-wire" is in the overhead for the Pano but would expect it to be similar in the 911 -
AtTheGlen (06-12-2023)
Old 06-12-2023, 07:05 PM
nullspace
Instructor

Received 155 Likes on 53 Posts

Does anyone know why wireless CarPlay doesn't work with the Porsche dash cam installed? It seems like a strange limitation, and for me CarPlay trumps any camera functionality.

I have pre-wiring but don't plan on installing the dash cam. I just got it in case I needed power there at some point.
Old 06-12-2023, 08:30 PM
AtTheGlen
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the video - it's a really good overview. Also, it's useful to know that multiple attempts might be needed for pairing.

Given the iPhone's ability to multitask, e.g., sending someone a text while talking to them on the phone, it does seem strange that the dashcam "monopolizes" the iPhone and prevents wireless CarPlay. I think I saw a post on one of the other dashcam threads referenced earlier in this thread saying that CarPlay can be used with a wire to the USB port.
Old 08-06-2023, 03:52 PM
malba2366
Three Wheelin'

Received 754 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by nullspace
Does anyone know why wireless CarPlay doesn't work with the Porsche dash cam installed? It seems like a strange limitation, and for me CarPlay trumps any camera functionality.

I have pre-wiring but don't plan on installing the dash cam. I just got it in case I needed power there at some point.
Wireless CarPlay can not work when you are connected to the Dashcam because it uses a wifi connection to the vehicle and the phone can only connect to one wifi network at a time. Wireless CarPlay will work when you are not connected to the Dashcam. It is no different with aftermarket dashcams either.

Quick Reply: Dashcam Prewire: What’s Exposed?