Mirror Tap w/Dashcam?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2023, 10:16 AM
L76
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Mirror Tap w/Dashcam?

Hi Guys,

2023 incoming. Got the Preparation for Porsche Dashcam (Front and Rear). Want to install a radar detector (I’ve used a mirror tap on all my other Porsches). Do you need one if you have the Dashcam prep, or? Anyone install a mirror tap with the new Preparation for Porsche Dashcam feature pre-wired?

cheers,
L76
Old 02-08-2023, 11:27 AM
audi4t
Burning Brakes

Received 854 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by L76
Hi Guys,

2023 incoming. Got the Preparation for Porsche Dashcam (Front and Rear). Want to install a radar detector (I’ve used a mirror tap on all my other Porsches). Do you need one if you have the Dashcam prep, or? Anyone install a mirror tap with the new Preparation for Porsche Dashcam feature pre-wired?

cheers,
L76
See the latest posts in the Preparation for Porsche Dashcam thread. Dashcam prep gives you a 6 pin connector in the overhead console that can be used to get power for both a camera and radar detector.

I just ordered the wiring harness online that connects to this connector - I plan on modifying this harness to make my own that will provide power to an aftermarket camera and my Uniden RD.

This way a mirror tap will not be required.

If I need to step down to 5v I will use a 12v to 5v converter

If I need to step up to 12v I will use a 5v to 12v inverter

The Porsche wiring harness part number is

9Y0-044-955-A - Cable Set For Camera $33.20
The following 4 users liked this post by audi4t:
dontlookback (05-18-2024), GeXen (03-07-2023), tonyalexander (02-08-2023), tourenwagen (02-08-2023)
Old 02-08-2023, 12:12 PM
DSC48
Rennlist Member

Received 561 Likes on 232 Posts

@audi4t Will the dashcam wiring from the factory provide a switched source so my RD turns off with the ignition?
Old 02-08-2023, 12:20 PM
audi4t
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DSC48
@audi4t Will the dashcam wiring from the factory provide a switched source so my RD turns off with the ignition?
I’m assuming switched and maybe a constant source if the camera has a shock sensor

I don’t see the camera being active constantly

I will check when the harness arrives which terminals provide what
The following users liked this post:
DSC48 (02-08-2023)
Old 02-08-2023, 01:17 PM
audi4t
Burning Brakes

Interesting- I have a cabriolet so no rear camera, which I can understand.

However, the 6 pin connector only has 3 wires attached. Black, brown, red/white

I’m assuming brown is ground and hoping one of the hot wires is switched

​​​​​​​
DSC48 (02-09-2023)
Old 02-08-2023, 03:44 PM
tourenwagen
Three Wheelin'

Received 4,396 Likes on 1,200 Posts

Originally Posted by audi4t
See the latest posts in the Preparation for Porsche Dashcam thread. Dashcam prep gives you a 6 pin connector in the overhead console that can be used to get power for both a camera and radar detector.

I just ordered the wiring harness online that connects to this connector - I plan on modifying this harness to make my own that will provide power to an aftermarket camera and my Uniden RD.

This way a mirror tap will not be required.

If I need to step down to 5v I will use a 12v to 5v converter

If I need to step up to 12v I will use a 5v to 12v inverter

The Porsche wiring harness part number is

9Y0-044-955-A - Cable Set For Camera $33.20
Ordered, thanks.
Old 02-12-2023, 04:55 PM
L76
Rennlist Member

Thx audi4t.

I’m kinda wondering if a mirror tap might be simpler/cleaner/easier? Sounds like you may need a voltage converter and some sottering work to graft into the proprietary connector. Thoughts?

L76
Old 02-12-2023, 05:06 PM
audi4t
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by L76
Thx audi4t.

I’m kinda wondering if a mirror tap might be simpler/cleaner/easier? Sounds like you may need a voltage converter and some sottering work to graft into the proprietary connector. Thoughts?

L76
I have the wiring harness on order I will create a write up based on what I do.

Radar detectors use a 12v feed which the mirror tap provides. Nothing wrong with mirror tap except u r tapping into a circuit not intended to supply another device. Corvette owners have reported issues and fuses blowing when using mirror taps.

The Porsche prewiring provides a dedicated circuit and fuse for the Porsche accessory so there would not be any impact to other components.

Interesting that aftermarket dash cams work at 5v the Porsche camera wiring harness provides 12v to the camera connection base. I don’t know yet if the base drops the voltage to 5v or the camera requires 12v to operate.

Last edited by audi4t; 02-12-2023 at 05:08 PM.
Old 02-27-2023, 11:58 PM
L76
Rennlist Member

I have the wiring harness on order I will create a write up based on what I do.

Radar detectors use a 12v feed which the mirror tap provides. Nothing wrong with mirror tap except u r tapping into a circuit not intended to supply another device. Corvette owners have reported issues and fuses blowing when using mirror taps.

The Porsche prewiring provides a dedicated circuit and fuse for the Porsche accessory so there would not be any impact to other components.

Interesting that aftermarket dash cams work at 5v the Porsche camera wiring harness provides 12v to the camera connection base. I don’t know yet if the base drops the voltage to 5v or the camera requires 12v to operate.
thx audi4t. How’s the project coming? Curious.

L76
Old 02-28-2023, 07:24 AM
audi4t
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by L76
thx audi4t. How’s the project coming? Curious.

L76
This weekend I installed / modified the harness for a dash cam and radar detector.
I specified my cabriolet with the dash cam prewiring which provides a connector behind the overhead courtesy light panel. The connector has a ground, switched 12v and permanent 12v source.

My original plan was to install the Porsche OEM camera harness, which I purchased. A couple of issues caused my plans to change.

The cabriolet has very limited space behind the courtesy light compared with the coupe since the cabriolet latching mechanism takes up a chunk of space in this area.

I could have packed the harness in the space under the plastic cover, below the courtesy light, but I chose not to since I don't plan on using the Porsche OEM camera.

I also determined that the camera dock for the Porsche camera, in typical Porsche fashion, uses a proprietary connector not a USB C connector, so I couldn't use the dock to supply an aftermarket dash cam.

So I hacked off the male connector from the Porsche wiring harness I purchased and used this to connect the female connector behind the courtesy light panel. I used this to provide switched 12v to my radar detector and to a 12v to 5v converter which will power my aftermarket 70Mai dash cam.

GeXen (03-07-2023)
Old 02-28-2023, 03:14 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 2,008 Likes on 1,129 Posts

This weekend I installed / modified the harness for a dash cam and radar detector.I specified my cabriolet with the dash cam prewiring which provides a connector behind the overhead courtesy light panel. The connector has a ground, switched 12v and permanent 12v source. My original plan was to install the Porsche OEM camera harness, which I purchased. A couple of issues caused my plans to change. The cabriolet has very limited space behind the courtesy light compared with the coupe since the cabriolet latching mechanism takes up a chunk of space in this area. I could have packed the harness in the space under the plastic cover, below the courtesy light, but I chose not to since I don't plan on using the Porsche OEM camera. I also determined that the camera dock for the Porsche camera, in typical Porsche fashion, uses a proprietary connector not a USB C connector, so I couldn't use the dock to supply an aftermarket dash cam. So I hacked off the male connector from the Porsche wiring harness I purchased and used this to connect the female connector behind the courtesy light panel. I used this to provide switched 12v to my radar detector and to a 12v to 5v converter which will power my aftermarket 70Mai dash cam.
English please, like I was a 5 year old. Write up with pics if possible?

Quick Reply: Mirror Tap w/Dashcam?