Notices
992 GT3 and GT2RS Forum 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power VS Weight for Canyons and Road Driving: Lambo Revuelto - SF90 - 765 - 3RS - GT3

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2023, 12:47 AM
Aorta
Advanced

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by BrntRubber
Having both would be very difficult. Aside from the cost, storing and maintaining them would be a challenge.

I have a 992 3RS incoming (just say bye to my touring) and I have really enjoyed having an NA GT car alongside an LT.

I need to drive one to compare to my 675. the problem is on a test drive I won't get a true sense of the 765.
Objectively, the 765LTS is better than the 675. But right now, the 675 is a far better ‘value.’

They are both McLaren...I.e, great steering, great brakes, great balance, and handling. BUT...The 765LT is newer technology. Balance is better. Rear end is far more stable. TC is better. Turning radius is better. Electronics are better and the power is just ridiculous.

Despite the insane power, It’s easily the most confidence inspiring car I’ve ever driven and I drive mine hard! The only car I’ve ever driven that I would consider ‘better’ is the Elva. And that’s only on the street because the 765 is far better on track.

It’s really ‘that’ good. I don’t think you can go wrong...keep the 675 and the new GT3RS...or get a 765, sell the 675 and keep the new GT3RS. Ideally keep all 3. It’s the end of an era...and it’s a glorious end.

I have no doubt the full hybrid replacement will be better...but it will not be as visceral...I know this from many miles in an Artura...the power is so linear that it almost lacks drama...
The following 3 users liked this post by Aorta:
AlexCeres (04-09-2023), BrntRubber (04-09-2023), cadster (04-09-2023)
Old 04-09-2023, 05:00 AM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Received 251 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Aorta
Objectively, the 765LTS is better than the 675. But right now, the 675 is a far better ‘value.’

They are both McLaren...I.e, great steering, great brakes, great balance, and handling. BUT...The 765LT is newer technology. Balance is better. Rear end is far more stable. TC is better. Turning radius is better. Electronics are better and the power is just ridiculous.

Despite the insane power, It’s easily the most confidence inspiring car I’ve ever driven and I drive mine hard! The only car I’ve ever driven that I would consider ‘better’ is the Elva. And that’s only on the street because the 765 is far better on track.

It’s really ‘that’ good. I don’t think you can go wrong...keep the 675 and the new GT3RS...or get a 765, sell the 675 and keep the new GT3RS. Ideally keep all 3. It’s the end of an era...and it’s a glorious end.

I have no doubt the full hybrid replacement will be better...but it will not be as visceral...I know this from many miles in an Artura...the power is so linear that it almost lacks drama...
Very interesting!

Would you regard the 765 as a future classic? I see the 675 that way.

How would you rate the power difference between the 765LT and 675LT, say each out of 10? I know it's meant to be roughly 90hp on paper.

In my 675 in 1st gear and at around 3k or 4k rpm I have turbo lag or very noticeable lack of power sometimes. Same in the 765?

Thank you
Old 04-09-2023, 06:49 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,039 Likes on 658 Posts

Originally Posted by 168glhs1986
You clearly don't pay attention to ECOTY. The 765 LT lost to the mighty M2 CS
Add this to the long list of reasons why smart people don't take the word of journalists as gospel.

Last edited by groundhog; 04-09-2023 at 06:54 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by groundhog:
360MVA (04-09-2023), TRZ06 (04-09-2023)
Old 04-09-2023, 02:01 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 1,048 Posts

Very interesting!

How would you rate the power difference between the 765LT and 675LT, say each out of 10? I know it's meant to be roughly 90hp on paper.

In my 675 in 1st gear and at around 3k or 4k rpm I have turbo lag or very noticeable lack of power sometimes. Same in the 765?

Thank you
power difference is enormous. The 765 has shorter gearing and makes approximately 765 at the wheels. It’ll spin wheels with tc on through 5th gear. The gear shifts are crazed, and turbos bubble and pop and the whole thing is just a really distinct driving experience. Lots of drama. Lots of power. Very agile and balanced. Handles better than a 720 but a pinch less comfortable.

if money were no object, I’d suggest buying one, garaging another car privately for a month and driving these cars back to back for a bit. Then sell one. One month of interest and taxes and insurance. It’s a lot of money but it’s not like $500k.
The following 3 users liked this post by AlexCeres:
360MVA (04-09-2023), BrntRubber (04-10-2023), prsdoc (04-11-2023)
Old 04-09-2023, 02:26 PM
360MVA
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 107 Posts

Very interesting!

Thank you
No lag, just instant power coupled with shorter gearing. If they start side by side, the 765 will be out of site before too long.
The following users liked this post:
BrntRubber (04-10-2023)
Old 04-09-2023, 05:25 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,153 Likes on 5,284 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Let’s also remember that it was Gordon Murray teaming with McLaren that created the F1 30 years ago.

When each (now separated) of the parties built a new 3-seater with central driving position to celebrate that collaboration, GMA built the T.50 and McLaren built the Speedtail. Enough said…
As much respect as I have for GM and as much appreciation as I have for the T.50 (and T.33), not sure either the engineer or the car belongs in this conversation.

The T.50 is not even road legal in the United States (yet) and the T.33 just got certified, those cars are essentially even more unobtainable than a PTS GT3 RS allocation at below MSRP. To say nothing of the astronomical price tag.

It's like when people are discussing the pros/cons of a Rolex versus an Omega and someone brings up the fact that Rexhep Rexhepi makes a better free sprung balance wheel providing better energy recuperation.

They are just different classes of watches, just like with a McLaren and Porsche versus something ostensibly bespoke like a GM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
360MVA (04-09-2023), AlexCeres (04-09-2023)
Old 04-09-2023, 06:49 PM
168glhs1986
Rennlist Member

Received 1,452 Likes on 696 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
Add this to the long list of reasons why smart people don't take the word of journalists as gospel.
It did finish 2nd. It's a great car.

Honest q for you. Do you have a access to all the cars and can make your own decisions based off of actually driving them? If so then I'll maybe you are as smart as you claim.

My fav is when the blow hards think they know while never actually experiencing anything.

As for journalist, There are fake journalists like Chris Harris then there are real journalist like Henry Catchpole. Most of the EVO crew get my thumbs up.

Last edited by 168glhs1986; 04-09-2023 at 06:59 PM.
Old 04-09-2023, 07:55 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,161 Likes on 2,908 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
As much respect as I have for GM and as much appreciation as I have for the T.50 (and T.33), not sure either the engineer or the car belongs in this conversation.

The T.50 is not even road legal in the United States (yet) and the T.33 just got certified, those cars are essentially even more unobtainable than a PTS GT3 RS allocation at below MSRP. To say nothing of the astronomical price tag.

It's like when people are discussing the pros/cons of a Rolex versus an Omega and someone brings up the fact that Rexhep Rexhepi makes a better free sprung balance wheel providing better energy recuperation.

They are just different classes of watches, just like with a McLaren and Porsche versus something ostensibly bespoke like a GM.
I’m using the GMA cars as examples of what could be done and as a contrast between their design brief (and the original McLaren F1) to the current McLaren ethos. I realize they are not easy obtained.

Last edited by GrantG; 04-09-2023 at 07:58 PM.
Old 04-10-2023, 12:49 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,153 Likes on 5,284 Posts

I’m using the GMA cars as examples of what could be done and as a contrast between their design brief (and the original McLaren F1) to the current McLaren ethos. I realize they are not easy obtained.
Understood, but the things that GM is doing will never make it to mass market production unfortunately.

Even cars like the Senna are not really derivative of anything GM is doing.
Old 04-10-2023, 01:01 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Even cars like the Senna are not really derivative of anything GM is doing.
Yes, that’s exactly my point. Cars like the Senna and Speedtail are nothing like the GMA cars, but with that sort of budget, they could be (if McLaren shared the same values and objectives as GMA).

I find very lightweight, normally aspirated V12, Manual gearbox cars like the T.50 much more compelling than the far heavier, turbocharged V8, paddle-shifted cars that McLaren decided to build (abandoning and possible misunderstanding the allure of its former F1 model).

Last edited by GrantG; 04-10-2023 at 01:04 AM.
Old 04-10-2023, 06:25 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,039 Likes on 658 Posts

Originally Posted by 168glhs1986
It did finish 2nd. It's a great car.

Honest q for you. Do you have a access to all the cars and can make your own decisions based off of actually driving them? If so then I'll maybe you are as smart as you claim.

My fav is when the blow hards think they know while never actually experiencing anything.

As for journalist, There are fake journalists like Chris Harris then there are real journalist like Henry Catchpole. Most of the EVO crew get my thumbs up.
I've got some pretty decent sheet metal including a 991.2 GT3 RS, a 720S and an inbound 296 GTB - so yes, I have driven some pretty decent cars, competed in national level motorsport events and no I don't think a BMW M2 CS is in the same league as any of the cars I just mentioned and certainly not in comparison to a 765.

However, compared to the huge number of "M" badged people movers it may be brilliant - but that's a radically different yard stick. That doesn't mean its not fun either, its all relative to your ownership history.

Just because a few journos bang on about something doesn't mean its great, even if they believe that to be the case it's an entirely subjective view.

Last edited by groundhog; 04-10-2023 at 06:50 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by groundhog:
168glhs1986 (04-10-2023), 360MVA (04-10-2023)
Old 04-10-2023, 09:03 AM
360MVA
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 107 Posts

Yes, that’s exactly my point. Cars like the Senna and Speedtail are nothing like the GMA cars, but with that sort of budget, they could be (if McLaren shared the same values and objectives as GMA).

I find very lightweight, normally aspirated V12, Manual gearbox cars like the T.50 much more compelling than the far heavier, turbocharged V8, paddle-shifted cars that McLaren decided to build (abandoning and possible misunderstanding the allure of its former F1 model).
Far different level of cost to develop and retail. They'd never be able to make and sell enough for a viable business that has other ventures such as F1.
Old 04-10-2023, 12:32 PM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Received 251 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
power difference is enormous. The 765 has shorter gearing and makes approximately 765 at the wheels. It’ll spin wheels with tc on through 5th gear. The gear shifts are crazed, and turbos bubble and pop and the whole thing is just a really distinct driving experience. Lots of drama. Lots of power. Very agile and balanced. Handles better than a 720 but a pinch less comfortable.

if money were no object, I’d suggest buying one, garaging another car privately for a month and driving these cars back to back for a bit. Then sell one. One month of interest and taxes and insurance. It’s a lot of money but it’s not like $500k.
That sounds amazing!

While I have heard about many problems with QC and reliability with 720s owners, I assume the 765, being several years after the launch of the 720s, has less issues. I have heard on track McLarens have the most issues with breaking down, limp mode etc. This pre and post inspection thing is also a real bummer.

Your idea is an interesting one. I think I will patiently keep my eyes out for a really nice example, as they are dropping in value and already below list in my market.

I will know early next week if I can get an early Revuelto at list price. If so, I may give that a go for a few months. If I can't get an early car, then I will pass on it and follow your suggestion. If I can get an early car, I suspect I will be able to get out of it with little to no loss, if I dont like it after a few months of ownership. By then 765 values would have softened further and I can still follow your suggestion.

Thanks

Last edited by BrntRubber; 04-10-2023 at 12:35 PM.
Old 04-10-2023, 12:39 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 360MVA
Far different level of cost to develop and retail. They'd never be able to make and sell enough for a viable business that has other ventures such as F1.
They would have that segment virtually to themselves with no real competition from companies like Ferrari and Lamborghini (would give more freedom to price them higher). And I'm not sure that McLaren can currently make a viable run of things with the status quo (aren't there persistent rumors that they can't continue indefinitely without being swallowed by a competitor?).

Maybe I'm overestimating the market for this kind of car or underestimating the difficulties in bringing such a thing to market - I'm no business expert (just know the car I'd like to have).

Last edited by GrantG; 04-10-2023 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-10-2023, 03:21 PM
168glhs1986
Rennlist Member

Received 1,452 Likes on 696 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
I've got some pretty decent sheet metal including a 991.2 GT3 RS, a 720S and an inbound 296 GTB - so yes, I have driven some pretty decent cars, competed in national level motorsport events and no I don't think a BMW M2 CS is in the same league as any of the cars I just mentioned and certainly not in comparison to a 765.

However, compared to the huge number of "M" badged people movers it may be brilliant - but that's a radically different yard stick. That doesn't mean its not fun either, its all relative to your ownership history.

Just because a few journos bang on about something doesn't mean its great, even if they believe that to be the case it's an entirely subjective view.
There are billionaires that disagree with you on the M2 CS.

Its parked between his ENZO and his CGT and the M2 CS gets out more often than most of his others.

I personally would park the Singer DLS in the “go to garage” but that’s just me and sadly I don’t own kne

He sold most of his Mclarens.

Quick Reply: Power VS Weight for Canyons and Road Driving: Lambo Revuelto - SF90 - 765 - 3RS - GT3