Received 1,777 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by 4carl
never noticed? its a touring?

Ahhh. I assumed you had a wingy. 😄
Old 10-02-2022, 03:57 AM
marklondon
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Having looked at the video mine definitely were not coming off so easily. Maybe they were put on incorrectly at the dealer. I don’t know.
Old 10-02-2022, 04:12 AM
Mercuriell
Burning Brakes

Received 490 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by marklondon
Having looked at the video mine definitely were not coming off so easily. Maybe they were put on incorrectly at the dealer. I don’t know.
Maybe smear some silicone grease on the o ring to facilitate future removal .

Maybe there's a different forulation for P o rings as drain plug removal probs seem to be blamed on the o ring

Old 10-02-2022, 02:15 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,172 Likes on 625 Posts

when I first tried to take mine off I used a little tool that came with the car. Had to really pry hard and I it actually started to separate the cap from the backing. That’s when I decided to just drill a 1/8 hole and use a pick to remove. I put a small pice of clear tape over the hole to keep moisture out although never had any get in before the tape. The cap can only go on one way as it is keyed with a notch in the hub. Take a sharply and put a mark on it to index and some silicon grease on the o ring. (See pictures at the top of the post) carl
Old 10-02-2022, 02:20 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 630 Likes on 386 Posts

when I first tried to take mine off I used a little tool that came with the car. Had to really pry hard and I it actually started to separate the cap from the backing. That’s when I decided to just drill a 1/8 hole and use a pick to remove. I put a small pice of clear tape over the hole to keep moisture out although never had any get in before the tape. The cap can only go on one way as it is keyed with a notch in the hub. Take a sharply and put a mark on it to index and some silicon grease on the o ring. (See pictures at the top of the post) carl
You’re not pushing the OEM tool in far enough. It needs to go all the way in until it bottoms out against the plastic before you rotate it to pop the cap off.

Next time you have the cap off, place the tool against it and take a look.
Old 10-02-2022, 02:48 PM
jayely1
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 106 Posts

Does that tool come with the car?
Old 10-02-2022, 02:59 PM
4carl
Race Car

Originally Posted by Mech33
You’re not pushing the OEM tool in far enough. It needs to go all the way in until it bottoms out against the plastic before you rotate it to pop the cap off.

Next time you have the cap off, place the tool against it and take a look.
I agree but it’s too much drama to remove a cap..
If you don’t get the tool in all the way which isn’t that easy at first it can separate the cap and scratch the hub.
It’s personal preference but I like my way very simple and fool proof.
Don’t do it if you can’t live with an 8th inch hole in the Which you can’t see unless you’re on your knees.
Doesn’t bother me ,when I sell my car if it bothers the buyer I’ll buy 4 new caps..
The cost of convenience and simplicity!

Last edited by 4carl; 10-02-2022 at 03:07 PM.
Old 10-02-2022, 03:01 PM
4carl
Race Car

Deleted

Last edited by 4carl; 10-02-2022 at 03:06 PM.
Old 10-02-2022, 03:05 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,074 Likes on 2,860 Posts

Originally Posted by jayely1
Does that tool come with the car?
Yes, it’s inside the driver side plastic cover in the frunk (along with the Centerlock socket)
The following 2 users liked this post by GrantG:
jayely1 (10-02-2022), jfr0317 (10-02-2022)
Old 10-02-2022, 03:07 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,074 Likes on 2,860 Posts

You’re not pushing the OEM tool in far enough. It needs to go all the way in until it bottoms out against the plastic before you rotate it to pop the cap.
Yes, if you can see any part of the silver metal part of the tool, it’s not fully inserted.
The following 2 users liked this post by GrantG:
jayely1 (10-02-2022), jfr0317 (10-02-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 02:53 AM
marklondon
Advanced

Exactly what happened to me, cap separated from backing. It just shouldn't be so hard to take a cap off! I had the tool in all the way as well. Caps are just really tight.
Old 10-03-2022, 02:46 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 630 Likes on 386 Posts

Exactly what happened to me, cap separated from backing. It just shouldn't be so hard to take a cap off! I had the tool in all the way as well. Caps are just really tight.
With the tool properly engaged, it presses against the back of the hard plastic backing and won't put any force on the cosmetic front cap. Unfortunately it does take a bit of finesse sometimes to make sure you're engaging it just right.

Push the tool all the way in, then make sure it's biased against the edge of the cap before you start rotating it down as a lever-arm. This ensures the little scooped end goes behind the cap rather than against the edge of the cap.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mech33:
GrantG (10-03-2022), marklondon (10-04-2022)
Old 10-04-2022, 03:38 AM
marklondon
Advanced

With the tool properly engaged, it presses against the back of the hard plastic backing and won't put any force on the cosmetic front cap. Unfortunately it does take a bit of finesse sometimes to make sure you're engaging it just right.

Push the tool all the way in, then make sure it's biased against the edge of the cap before you start rotating it down as a lever-arm. This ensures the little scooped end goes behind the cap rather than against the edge of the cap.
Makes sense. I was more pulling it I guess. Will give it a go. Thanks
Old 10-06-2022, 08:08 AM
marklondon
Advanced

To summarise this thread. I tried again using this method and it works perfect. Basically I was trying to pull the cap off with the tool. What you really need to do is get the tool the whole way in and around, and then lever it off. It won’t damage the center lock as it should only be the black plastic of the tool against the lock.

Quick Reply: Center Cap Remoal