Sponsored by:

Towed off track yesterday...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2022, 03:23 PM
Doublej
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Towed off track yesterday...

So my first track day with the GT3 was yesterday. It was also a new track I hadn't driven so I was overall learning the track and car so not even close to flogging it 10/10. I was more or less parading around for quite a few laps to figure out corners and I'd do a couple flying laps to test out what I learnt. I did that for progressively going faster and doing more flying laps and about 3 hours into the day (~1.5 hours on track - open lapping) at the end of the straight I heard some what seemed to be 'fluttering' noises, then check engine, then low oil pressure and car died while I coasted to a stop. At first when the check engine light lit, the (I forget the exact message) 'limited driving ok' message came up before an oil pressure warning message. As soon as the oil pressure message flashed engine was totally cut. Once I had stopped it was still saying 'limited driving ok'. After the initial 'fluttering' (which I think was likely the ecu cutting spark going into limp) , there were some stranger sounds as I was slowing (this is just after hard braking and trailing around ~210kph mid-sweeper) but I was in quick diagnosis mode reading the panel while looking for a safe place to stop not trying to get rear ended as a crossed a blind crest so my mind didn't log everything that was happening.

I checked oil level prior to the start of the day and it was half way between the marks (perfect) so I would say all good there. Conditions were 22C, air was nice and cool. It was the perfect track day so conditions were no super extreme which might contribute any sort of failure.

Once I was back in the pit and turned on the ignition, honestly I couldn't find a way to list the errors. The exclamation mark showed (2) but nothing was in the 'notifications'. In my BMW I can easily look at any errors or exclamations that pop up but couldn't find it anywhere in the GT3 to view. I guess something for me to scour the manual for. Anyway, when I did turn on the ignition (not starting), it did flash up 'faulty oil pressure sensor' so I'm really just hoping the sensor gave out, ecu in turn cut the engine as a precaution and that there really was not an actual low pressure event.

I did thoroughly enjoy the 3 hours (~ 1.5 hours on track) up to that point. It's been ~9 years since my 997 and as I was just starting to push I was loving the feel, sound and potential. Hoping this is just a minor blip and I'll be back out asap.

I was 3hours from home so the car will go to a dealer in another city Monday morning. I'm not going to speculate at this point. I'll update the post once I speak with the dealer this coming week.

JJ

Last edited by Doublej; 06-26-2022 at 03:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Chris C. (07-05-2022)

Popular Reply

10-05-2022, 01:01 PM
Doublej
Racer

After 3.5 long and frustrating months, the car is back in my hands. It was supposed to be ready on Monday so I took a bus up (car was not in my home city) and stayed at a hotel next to the Porsche Center. Given where they were on Friday I thought surely it would be ready no problem mid-day on Monday; however, the Universe was not through with me yet and got the last laugh. They called me at noon on Monday and the tech that was working on my car did not show up for work! Like, WTF. He eventually came in but they were not able to complete the car by 5pm so I had them pay for another night at the hotel. Even yesterday, it took them 6 hours to basically do a test drive and an alignment. They certainly didn't break any speed records on this one. No new info on the failure.

Anyway, low and behold, I finally got the key. The car was about 3hours from home via a boring straight-shot highway so I decided to take the road less travelled through some B-roads leading through the mountains for an 8hr drive home. The highways were smooth, autumn scenery was picturesque and traffic was basically non-existent. I had the roads all to myself to take it all in and I couldn't be happier. Another ~700km to go on break-in then 3 track days to cap the season which had almost passed me by.
Old 06-26-2022, 03:37 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Sorry to learn this. Hope you're back in action very soon. Keep us updated.
Old 06-26-2022, 05:51 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,967 Likes on 2,045 Posts

Hope all gets resolved quickly - definitely keep us posted.
Old 06-26-2022, 08:12 PM
mmasse
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What year GT3 is this?
read the codes before going to the dealer and PM me
I had similar issue with my 991 GT3
Old 06-26-2022, 08:16 PM
Doublej
Racer

Originally Posted by mmasse
What year GT3 is this?
read the codes before going to the dealer and PM me
I had similar issue with my 991 GT3
2022. I don't have access to the car and no way to read codes anyway. It's 3 hours away now.

For future reference, how would I have read the codes?

JJ
Old 06-26-2022, 08:25 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,142 Likes on 982 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublej
2022. I don't have access to the car and no way to read codes anyway. It's 3 hours away now.

For future reference, how would I have read the codes?

JJ
You can buy a scanner that connects to your OBD plug. I use this one for my Carrera and Boxster: https://www.icarsoft.com/Product/s-3...r_porsche.html

It wont work on 992 yet even though it says it will in the description on amazon. I'm waiting for a software update.

The one that I know works on the 992 GT3 is too expensive for me. Here it is though:
Amazon Amazon

Thanks for letting us know what the fault is with your car when you find out.

Last edited by subshooter; 06-26-2022 at 08:30 PM.
Old 07-03-2022, 10:36 PM
Jimmyk79
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 24 Posts

Updates bud?
Old 07-04-2022, 12:31 AM
Doublej
Racer

Originally Posted by Jimmyk79
Updates bud?
No real details yet after 2 full days of diagnosis. (Friday was a holiday up here) The tech did a data dump and sent it to Porsche Canada for analysis (apparently they have the ability to see more or better ways of analyzing). I expect a call tomorrow for the results of what Porsche Canada found.

I have some speculative info from the tech on one particular aspect but I don't want to throw out theories until I've received the info on the Porsche Canada analysis. The advisor did say that it wasn't as simple as the oil pressure sensor.

I'll post more once I hear back.

JJ
Old 07-04-2022, 12:24 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Which track were you at? Up here near Edmonton?
Old 07-04-2022, 12:38 PM
racerdj
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 17 Posts

I hope nothing serious and hope you are on the road very soon!
Old 07-04-2022, 12:52 PM
Doublej
Racer

Originally Posted by JustinL
Which track were you at? Up here near Edmonton?
Yes, Strawberry Creek.
KLOC (08-02-2022)
Old 07-04-2022, 09:29 PM
Cyclman
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 275 Posts

Best wishes, frustrating.
Old 07-05-2022, 03:31 PM
Doublej
Racer

Looks like I will not have any immediate info and not sure as to what info I'll eventually get, if any to be honest. Porsche Canada instructed the dealer to perform additional tests but he really wasn't freely offering up what was checked and what was found or not found. I'll keep trying to get info or if they'll let me chat with the technician that would be even better. They did say it looks like an engine replacement will be done and this engine sent to Porsche for analysis. Confirmation on this to follow shortly.

The situation is what it is. It's more of an annoyance to have to wait who knows how long for the replacement engine, install, to get the car back. Then there is the additional 1500km for the break in period. I just want to get back on track.

I'll update the thread when I get more info.

JJ
Old 07-05-2022, 03:38 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 95 Posts

sorry to hear but i blew motor 1st time took my dream ferrari to track back in 02. took 6 months and lots $ to fix but had the car until 07 and never had another issue after near daily driving and maybe 30 track days. became just a distant memory and hope same for you. plus, your attitude should give you head start on me as i was an emotional disaster area when that motor blew
ldamelio (07-07-2022)
Old 07-05-2022, 05:41 PM
palmpalm
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublej
Looks like I will not have any immediate info and not sure as to what info I'll eventually get, if any to be honest. Porsche Canada instructed the dealer to perform additional tests but he really wasn't freely offering up what was checked and what was found or not found. I'll keep trying to get info or if they'll let me chat with the technician that would be even better. They did say it looks like an engine replacement will be done and this engine sent to Porsche for analysis. Confirmation on this to follow shortly.

The situation is what it is. It's more of an annoyance to have to wait who knows how long for the replacement engine, install, to get the car back. Then there is the additional 1500km for the break in period. I just want to get back on track.

I'll update the thread when I get more info.

JJ
any update on timeline?

Last edited by palmpalm; 07-15-2022 at 02:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Towed off track yesterday...