992 GT3 Aftermarket Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2022, 08:22 PM
dwaldi
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
Default 992 GT3 Aftermarket Brake Pads

Hey guys,

There are a few brake pad-related posts in the forum, but mostly a comparison of the OEM PCCB vs Steel choice. I wanted to get a sense of what people are liking for street usability + track longevity. I bought my car with PCCBs and swapped the rotors and pads to the Girodisc solution. I did a couple of track days with the Girodisc Endurance pads, which were phenomenal on track -- TONS of feel and modulation and zero fade over a long day of multiple sessions. However, the Endurance pads squeak and squeal like a freight train. About a month ago, I had my mechanic swap the Endurance pads for Girodisc's Sprint pads, which are supposed to be a better compromise solution for street and track driving. Sprint Pads are still great on the track, but even more noisy and grumbly on the street from that last 15MPH to a stop.

At this point I'm growing frustrated. I plan to do approximately 10-12 track days per year in this car and it's a bit annoying to deal with this much noise on the street. My mechanic is going to try sanding the pads tomorrow to see if that helps the noise issue. What does everyone else recommend to get a little more street ability?

I'm running Michelin Cup 2 N2s 265/325 on the stock wheels with an alignment of -2*. Tracks I run are SOW and Buttonwillow for reference.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_0008.MOV (6.13 MB, 45 views)

Last edited by dwaldi; 09-19-2022 at 08:24 PM. Reason: added video
Old 09-19-2022, 08:48 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 634 Likes on 389 Posts

I have no complaints about the feel of my Ferodo DS3.12 pads on track and street.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mech33:
cox1974 (09-20-2022), GT3Laguna (12-22-2023)
Old 09-19-2022, 08:50 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 555 Posts

I switched to 3.12s per Mech33's advice. Probably great deals to be had in europe now that the Euro and GBP have crashed.
Old 09-19-2022, 09:23 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Received 2,252 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
I switched to 3.12s per Mech33's advice. Probably great deals to be had in europe now that the Euro and GBP have crashed.
Time for a group order??

That’s what I’m on now.
Old 09-19-2022, 09:31 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 542 Likes on 285 Posts

No disrespect OP @dwaldi , but isn't a pad that is BOTH quiet on the street (esp as you approach a stop) AND able to stand up to hard use in 12 track days with good wear/fade an unfair ask?

If they exist, then brake pad tech has improved a ton since I was a track junkie...looking to learn here
The following users liked this post:
GT3Laguna (09-20-2022)
Old 09-19-2022, 09:37 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,161 Likes on 2,908 Posts

Race Technologies RE10 are my favorite and are very quiet for a couple weeks after a track day (then they start to squeak a bit until you track it again - then silent).
Old 09-19-2022, 09:39 PM
cobradavid
7th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I'm finishing up my break-in period and am pondering this same question. I've purchased the Ferodo 3.12s for the track, but heard that they can wear the rotors when used a lot on the street. So I'm thinking about getting the DS2500s for the street and then swapping to the 3.12s for the track. The good news is you apparently don't need to re-bed them when doing this. I'm hoping this is the best of both worlds, but haven't yet tried it to give feedback.
Old 09-19-2022, 09:47 PM
dwaldi
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris C.
No disrespect OP @dwaldi , but isn't a pad that is BOTH quiet on the street (esp as you approach a stop) AND able to stand up to hard use in 12 track days with good wear/fade an unfair ask?

If they exist, then brake pad tech has improved a ton since I was a track junkie...looking to learn here
Totally a fair point. Obviously they're carbon, but the PCCBs from the factory felt like a good balance to me. There was decent modulation and little/no fade while also being dead quiet on the street. I had steels in my 718 GT4 and felt they were a good compromise, as well.
Old 09-19-2022, 10:00 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,230 Likes on 481 Posts

Porsche brakes squeal normally, hence the video Porsche put out to explain it. However, the more track focused pad you run the more squeal you can anticipate. I run Ferodo 1.11s as I find them to be much less harsh on the rotors than the 3.12s. If running slicks get 3.12, but if only running street tires would strongly consider 1.11s. I honestly prefer the RE-10s, but cost has made me transition away from those as the Ferodos are cheaper. Enjoy!
Old 09-20-2022, 10:49 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by raymort
Time for a group order??

That’s what I’m on now.
I bought 6 sets when they were 300 a set. I'm good for a while. But best to get a bunch to amortize shipping.
Old 09-20-2022, 12:17 PM
GT3Laguna
Advanced

Received 174 Likes on 40 Posts

Funny, I was just going to post a similar question. Net, I also don't think there is a magic answer to your search, but gosh I would love to be proven wrong.

10K+ miles in 5 months on my new Touring. It's my daily driver and track toy. 90K Miles on my 991.1 before that. I'm an advanced group driver but for a bunch of reasons I'm closer to a 5 track days per year guy now vs 10+ that I used to be. As easy as I am on brakes when just driving around, I'm a late hard threshold braker on track. Recently moved to SoCal from NorCal. 100+ track days mostly at Laguna (favorite track ever driven) and Thunderhill (love the 5 mile config). Already had Touring on both tracks. With all the buzz on this forum decided to try the Ferodo 3.12s, after long time Pagid Yellow 29 guy. I loved the Pagid. Honestly I can't tell a huge difference with Ferodo on track. Both excellent. And fine on street. When I first started I was swapping between stock pads for the street and race pads for track. That got old FAST, and stopped doing it. Worried that maybe the cold braking would suffer and eat up my pads and rotors. Nah. Been fine. But oh the squealing and squeaking. I've become a bit of an expert at bedding in brakes. Anyone who knows how brake systems works knows that they're designed to have pad material transfer (when hot) some pad layer onto the rotors for optimal performance (and incidentally the brakes get quieter too). But it only lasts for a short while if you're using the brakes cold. Depends on on how you drive but let's call it 2 weeks of daily driving. And bedding brakes in is not easily done (properly) from a risk perspective. Bit more complicated but lots of 90mph threshold braking which isn't exactly ideal on public roads. haven't found a great place near my home here to do that. For all those reasons constant bedding in isn't the answer, to me.

As you seem to know as well I don't think PCCBs are a good solution for folks who drive (and brake) hard on track. Maybe something's changed recently but everything I've read/heard says they won't last long when braking hot, so not a good answer against the expense.

I've come to believe, strongly, there is no brake pad system that exists that can do these three things well: Suffer through repeated fast track driving, useable as daily driving brakes, AND not squeak/squeal. "Soft" OEM style pads won't last one track session before they literally melt (if you're "fast"), and any race pads will start squealing on the street as soon as the pad layer is gone. My strong suspicion is folks who say their race pads don't squeal when cold are not really daily driving their car like I am. I've found that the squeaking is worst when the pads get a little warm (vs race track hot) and in the last few feet of stopping. Right at the get go they're actually, usually, not that bad.

BTW I think the Ferodo may be more susceptible to cold squealing than the pagid and a little louder and more annoying, but to be fair I'm not doing a perfect apples to apples comparison. I can't seem to get rid of the squeal even after a "thorough" bedding in. With Pagids was easier to get rid of it.
BTW 2 I heard Porsche offers a "track pad" option. Something that is more track capable. Anyone heard this, or tried them?

If someone knows of a magic pad that can fulfill our fantasy, I'm all ears. No kidding, I would genuinely pay double the price for a pad that has Pagid/Ferodo track performance (close?) with no (or even not much) cold squealing. But, I think we're fighting physics, unfortunately.

Last edited by GT3Laguna; 09-20-2022 at 12:19 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by GT3Laguna:
991.1 Guy (09-20-2022), ROCKSTAR. (09-20-2022)
Old 09-20-2022, 01:18 PM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 931 Likes on 489 Posts

Ferodo 3.12 work great but are very noisy ( for me) on the street also the dust is very corrosive on wheels etc. I now switch them in and out for the track.
Old 09-20-2022, 05:36 PM
ROCKSTAR.
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

My car is at the shop getting DS2500s put on right now, can't wait to try them out. Having come from my 991.2 3RS with PCCBs, I find the OEM iron brakes on 992s don't offer a good enough bite, again perhaps my car is too new (only a week old) and I just haven't given the car enough time to work itself in..

Anyone has experience with the dust level on the D2500s?
JRitt@essex (09-21-2022)
Old 09-20-2022, 09:22 PM
Art gt3rs
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by ROCKSTAR.
My car is at the shop getting DS2500s put on right now, can't wait to try them out. Having come from my 991.2 3RS with PCCBs, I find the OEM iron brakes on 992s don't offer a good enough bite, again perhaps my car is too new (only a week old) and I just haven't given the car enough time to work itself in..

Anyone has experience with the dust level on the D2500s?
I have the DS2500 on my car, I have no complaints. Installed them myself, about 4000 miles on them, 3 track days.
They are as dusty as OEM pads.

Last edited by Art gt3rs; 09-20-2022 at 09:23 PM.
JRitt@essex (09-21-2022)
Old 09-20-2022, 09:37 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,189 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by Art gt3rs
I have the DS2500 on my car, I have no complaints. Installed them myself, about 4000 miles on them, 3 track days.
They are as dusty as OEM pads.
how did they hold up on the track? Bite?Easy to modulate? Reasonable ware? noise for street driving?

Quick Reply: 992 GT3 Aftermarket Brake Pads