992 GT3 and GT2RS Forum 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3RS Allocation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2024, 04:37 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,382 Likes on 2,493 Posts

Originally Posted by Journeyman73
Just to know whether I will be posing or not....if I pick up a GT4RS but don't routinely track it??
The real question is whether it bothers you to be posing. I took my 3RS to C&C yesterday, and given that the car is Miami Blue, I wore clothes that aesthetically matched the car. Why? Because bringing the car to C&C already has an element of posing, so I figured I'd go all the way with the posing and embrace it. I don't generally like to draw attention, but there can be freedom in sometimes deliberately posing.
The following 3 users liked this post by Manifold:
Booth9999 (08-11-2024), Butzi (08-11-2024), Journeyman73 (08-11-2024)
Old 08-11-2024, 04:41 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 637 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by poofyo101
I helped my friend buy one from rennlist at MSRP with delivery miles. Lizard green car in SF Bay Area. Original owner was 918 owner.
can we be friends?
😁
Old 08-11-2024, 04:42 PM
Butzi
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
The real question is whether it bothers you to be posing. I took my 3RS to C&C yesterday, and given that the car is Miami Blue, I wore clothes that aesthetically matched the car. Why? Because bringing the car to C&C already has an element of posing, so I figured I'd go all the way with the posing and embrace it. I don't generally like to draw attention, but there can be freedom in sometimes deliberately posing.
I wish there was a "laughing" reaction button, not just "like". 😂
Old 08-11-2024, 05:11 PM
Nick
Race Car

Received 196 Likes on 97 Posts

Just got back from a drive in my 991.2 3RS. You can drive it on the road and might even enjoy it, but it's clearly designed to be a track car, not a road car. I'll be the first to say that. When these kinds of cars are bought and never used for their intended use - the track - people will inevitably make judgments about that. The people who are judged can choose to not care that they're judged and conclude that those are judging just don't 'get it'. When the day comes that I'll no longer be tracking my 3RS, for sure I'll sell it.
That's where you and I are different. I owned a 991.2GT3 RS for four years and never enjoyed a car as much. It's fabulous for canyon slamming and everyday driving. I enjoyed going shopping with it. The tedium of track driving, hoping to gain a second or tenth of a second after 50 runs on the same track, is not for me. Canyon driving has miles and miles of different turns, none the same depending on what drive you decide to take. Will a car go faster on a track? Maybe and maybe not. Some very challenging roads in Southern California. The fun factor, at least for me, is exponentially higher.
The following users liked this post:
Booth9999 (08-11-2024)
Old 08-11-2024, 05:16 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nick
That's where you and I are different. I owned a 991.2GT3 RS for four years and never enjoyed a car as much. It's fabulous for canyon slamming and everyday driving. I enjoyed going shopping with it. The tedium of track driving, hoping to gain a second or tenth of a second after 50 runs on the same track, is not for me. Canyon driving has miles and miles of different turns, none the same depending on what drive you decide to take. Will a car go faster on a track? Maybe and maybe not. Some very challenging roads in Southern California. The fun factor, at least for me, is exponentially higher.
If you have canyons accessible and can drive the car hard without significant risk of hitting anything or going to jail, then yes, I 100% get it, makes sense to buy the car for the road and possibly not track it.

You're lucky to have such roads accessible. I have some decent driving roads in my area, but nothing like canyons, and plenty of things to hit (deer, cyclists, vehicles stopped on the road, cars encroaching on my lane from the opposite direction, etc.).
Old 08-11-2024, 05:20 PM
Journeyman73
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

are you not concerned about the potential police car, waiting around every blind corner…

I am in the Bay Area and between cyclists and police I worry about never being able to do spirited driving
Old 08-11-2024, 05:25 PM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Received 2,990 Likes on 1,372 Posts

The tedium of track driving, hoping to gain a second or tenth of a second after 50 runs on the same track, is not for me.
That's not at all what the track is about or for, for 95% of people. I've tracked dozens of times, thousands of laps, never once had a timing device in the car. It's an environment where you can legally push the car to your own limits (if you so choose) and enjoy putting the car through it's paces.

Bombing through public road canyons, while fun, is dangerous. I've done it, we've all done it, but it isn't safe. The track is safe(r). Accidents happen everywhere but on track you don't have to worry about a cyclist or another motorist around a blind corner going 30mph while you're ripping around at 2-3x that speed.
The following 4 users liked this post by PTS:
85Gold (Yesterday), Butzi (08-11-2024), Manifold (08-11-2024), usctrojanGT3 (08-11-2024)
Old 08-11-2024, 06:35 PM
Nick
Race Car

Received 196 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Journeyman73
are you not concerned about the potential police car, waiting around every blind corner…

I am in the Bay Area and between cyclists and police I worry about never being able to do spirited driving
Waze and V1 work well.

That said, the risk is higher and maybe more so than driving on a track with inexperienced drivers who are often incompetent drivers. Not to mention the detritus occasionally strewn on the track. There is the issue of depending on where you live, it could be a two to three-hour drive to drive to a track "worthy" of the RS.

Just need to pick your poison when you own a high-performance sports car.
Journeyman73 (08-11-2024)
Old 08-11-2024, 06:36 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,029 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Why are RS owners who choose not to track their cars insulted by track enthusiasts by using a derogatory moniker? It is not a matter of being thin-skinned but respecting those on the blog to obtain information. Why is that necessary?

More puzzling is a highly respected car dealer and an important contributor to the site pushing the narrative that somehow, if you don't track your RS, you shouldn't have one. And even to make matters worse, he's wondering what to call us.

How about "Porsche Enthusiast".
I think we can all agree that the 3RS is a street legal track car and of course you can drive it on the street around town but to really experience what the car can do one should take it out to a controlled environment like a track because doing that on the streets/highway will result in a loss of license and potential jail time. People buy cars for various reasons but I like to use them for their intended purpose/s.
Journeyman73 (08-11-2024)
Old 08-11-2024, 07:18 PM
M&Abanker4life
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 100 Posts

Waze and V1 work well.

That said, the risk is higher and maybe more so than driving on a track with inexperienced drivers who are often incompetent drivers. Not to mention the detritus occasionally strewn on the track. There is the issue of depending on where you live, it could be a two to three-hour drive to drive to a track "worthy" of the RS.

you are too quick to dish out advice without taking it - please don’t try to claim driving to the limits of the car on the street is at all a smart idea.

cool - you’re on of those that daily drives an RS and probably routinely parks at Costco , grocery store etc with a lot of “look what fit in the frunk pics” (at least with a 991 RS). I don’t get it but who cares, your life your car.

Driving in the mountains and canyons are cool but not at the limit - way more risk than on a track. People on a track at least get some kind of training. No one (at least where I go) goes out unexperienced so you are “generally” driving with responsible people.
Old 08-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Waze and V1 work well.

Risk is way higher on the road, and if you're an advanced driver on the track, you won't be driving with inexperienced/incompetent drivers on the track unless you attend wild west events where there are no run groups or vetting.
usctrojanGT3 (08-11-2024)
Old 08-11-2024, 08:00 PM
RUF RS
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Booth9999
Does any one care if usctroganGT3 goes to cars and coffee again? I was going to start a poll but turns out no one cares…
I do, tho I'm not sure why😝
The following 2 users liked this post by RUF RS:
Booth9999 (08-11-2024), usctrojanGT3 (08-11-2024)
Old 08-11-2024, 09:10 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Booth9999
Does any one care if usctroganGT3 goes to cars and coffee again? I was going to start a poll but turns out no one cares…
Hey the best thing is that no one will run into me at a C&C so it kind works itself out.
Booth9999 (08-11-2024)
Old 08-11-2024, 09:13 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M&Abanker4life
you are too quick to dish out advice without taking it - please don’t try to claim driving to the limits of the car on the street is at all a smart idea.

cool - you’re on of those that daily drives an RS and probably routinely parks at Costco , grocery store etc with a lot of “look what fit in the frunk pics” (at least with a 991 RS). I don’t get it but who cares, your life your car.

Driving in the mountains and canyons are cool but not at the limit - way more risk than on a track. People on a track at least get some kind of training. No one (at least where I go) goes out unexperienced so you are “generally” driving with responsible people.
I've done many canyon runs and you gotta be careful when pushing it, not only for cops but also for bike riders and blind turns on narrow roads. I feel much safer pushing these GT cars on the track where there is a controlled environment plus it's a good way to blow some steam off and hang out with track buddies.
The following 2 users liked this post by usctrojanGT3:
85Gold (Yesterday), Journeyman73 (08-11-2024)
Old 08-11-2024, 09:15 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Risk is way higher on the road, and if you're an advanced driver on the track, you won't be driving with inexperienced/incompetent drivers on the track unless you attend wild west events where there are no run groups or vetting.
It's definitely important to run with a good track organizer that is strict on rules and safety. I've done a few events early on where I ran with some loosey goosey providers that packed run groups in with a bunch of cars where cars were going off left and right. I quickly realized which groups were good and which ones to stay away from.

Last edited by usctrojanGT3; Yesterday at 01:20 AM.

Quick Reply: GT3RS Allocation Thread