Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 Daily Driver

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2023, 02:41 AM
GT3Laguna
Advanced

Received 174 Likes on 40 Posts

had it aligned. It was out of spec a little from factory. Too much toe out. I went toe in to spec. helped a little. Again, the car has incredible and accurate turn in when pushing it, but still much more busy just cruising down the road than any 991 I've driven. No huge deal. Totally used to it now. But can get a little old sometimes. Maybe it doesn't have to do with the new suspension (I know the new suspension also let them ramp up the stiffness which doubled from 991), but then what is it? My humble guess is it is the new suspension (in total, maybe not just the switch to McPherson?), not just the alignment.
Old 04-30-2023, 01:51 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,645 Likes on 934 Posts

Originally Posted by 4carl
I agree,when I first got mine, I also felt the steering was just nervous.
I checked the toe front and rear.
The rear was.OK,080”toe in with 0 thrust angle.
The front was toed out .030” which really can cause a car to wonder.
OK on the track for sharp turn in but not so much for the road .
I changed it to..030 toe in and also went with full soft on the front bar.
Made a huge difference on the way the car tracks and turns .
it seems every car I’ve ever had. I always have to tweak the suspension settings.
I’m fortunate that I have the equipment to do it myself.
Never really found an alignment shop that would spend the time to really dial in settings.
Another thing is many times the equipment is out of calibration. Carl

I just expect to have to do a quality alignment on any new sports car I buy at my local race shop. My GT4 and Porsches in general are just very sensitive to setting changes.
Old 04-30-2023, 01:54 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT3Laguna
had it aligned. It was out of spec a little from factory. Too much toe out. I went toe in to spec. helped a little. Again, the car has incredible and accurate turn in when pushing it, but still much more busy just cruising down the road than any 991 I've driven. No huge deal. Totally used to it now. But can get a little old sometimes. Maybe it doesn't have to do with the new suspension (I know the new suspension also let them ramp up the stiffness which doubled from 991), but then what is it? My humble guess is it is the new suspension (in total, maybe not just the switch to McPherson?), not just the alignment.

For a mostly driven street car, I would dial in about 1mm per side of toe in for the front. That is what I run on my 718 GT4 and it makes a big difference. Zero toe or toe out is best left for track work.

That is the beauty of these cars though, you are not stuck with factory settings, you can taylor it to suite your use case.
Old 05-01-2023, 09:01 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 282 Posts

My GT3T with Corsas is slightly stiffer (ie less rubber) over larger dip in the roads - seems like the helper springs absorb most nicely - than my 991-S SPASM car which in comparison feels crude and abrupt at all times on new PS4s. I drove a 718 GTS recently and that was even worse on CA side roads

All depends on your tolerance levels and how you define “rough” - I give my Touring an 7/10 where 10 is too stiff for road use. Perfectly fine given the car’s capabilities.

Last edited by Chris C.; 05-01-2023 at 09:03 PM.
Old 05-01-2023, 10:04 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris C.
My GT3T with Corsas is slightly stiffer (ie less rubber) over larger dip in the roads - seems like the helper springs absorb most nicely - than my 991-S SPASM car which in comparison feels crude and abrupt at all times on new PS4s. I drove a 718 GTS recently and that was even worse on CA side roads

All depends on your tolerance levels and how you define “rough” - I give my Touring an 7/10 where 10 is too stiff for road use. Perfectly fine given the car’s capabilities.
You misinterpret what the helper springs do. They have no impact on ride quality, as they are fully compressed with the full weight of the car. They are only there to keep tension on the main spring at full droop.
Old 05-31-2023, 08:47 PM
nullspace
Instructor

Received 155 Likes on 53 Posts

I just had alignment done today to remove the toe out (and move to a bit of toe in). The difference on the street is huge. The front is so much calmer and less twitchy while still being plenty responsive. Now it doesn't try to jump out of the lane with the slightest bump.
Old 06-01-2023, 09:02 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,735 Likes on 2,347 Posts

if you are daily driving 992GT3, the oem suggested alignment is fine.
I ache 16k miles on mine and I INDEED drive it every day and every where, little league, costco, whole food, trader joes, haul bike, manure, food and plants
the oem alignment is more than enough. to do some VERY serious speed and carving.
The following 4 users liked this post by mooty:
Alan C. (06-04-2023), Diablo Dude (06-01-2023), GT3Laguna (06-02-2023), michaeldorian (06-01-2023)
Old 06-01-2023, 09:43 PM
nullspace
Instructor

Received 155 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
if you are daily driving 992GT3, the oem suggested alignment is fine.
I ache 16k miles on mine and I INDEED drive it every day and every where, little league, costco, whole food, trader joes, haul bike, manure, food and plants
the oem alignment is more than enough. to do some VERY serious speed and carving.
I felt like the factory toe out was too responsive for the street. For daily (mine also does everything) I wanted to calm things down a bit. And even with a little toe-in it's more than responsive enough - no one is going to feel like the steering is dead in this car.
Old 06-03-2023, 09:07 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 160 Likes on 111 Posts

GT3 and great daily driver are very different things. On a nice surface the car is very friendly and is a nice daily car. In town on any bumpy road, it is NOT a pleasant experience.
The platform has significantly improved since the 996 GT3, but I would never say the 992 GT3 is a great daily driver around town unless your roads are all perfect.
Old 06-04-2023, 12:03 AM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,261 Posts

I find that running the tire pressure at 29/31 can be most helpful in achieving a compliant ride.

Im on Pirellis.

Quick Reply: GT3 Daily Driver