Sponsored by:

Smoking Package Cupholder woes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2022, 01:42 AM
sparkhill
Rennlist Member

Received 481 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
Its not so much that these cars are bought for cup holders or rear cameras but rather in a car built by people known for how obsessively they engineer things to perfection, these slip ups are not acceptable (not to mention in today’s market conditions in a car with this price point). I would look at it from that lens rather than repeatedly saying no one buys the car for cup holders. If you spend 5 minutes under these cars and have slightly above average academics, you’ll understand that every little thing has been carefully thought through. You simply dont expect Porsche to make these mistakes. They have been clearly overlooked. You, me , or 932 other people in this forum will never look at those outer gauges but still the fact that there are gauges on the instrument cluster that you simply cannot see is a massive oversight. When that cluster was designed, someone should have said something about the inability to see all the information presented on it.
1. Turn car on.
2. Switch to track mode.
3. Switch instruments to track.
4. Drive forward (don't need a camera for that).

It is a track focused car and it is setup as such. The instruments are fine and you don't need a cup holder for the designed purpose. Maybe on a touring...
The following users liked this post:
raymort (01-26-2022)
Old 01-26-2022, 07:17 AM
GTDrivershop
Former Vendor

Received 117 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by sparkhill
1. Turn car on.
2. Switch to track mode.

It is a track focused car and it is setup as such. The instruments are fine and you don't need a cup holder for the designed purpose. Maybe on a touring...
EXACTLY!

My post was intended to be a “gentle” chat about the cupholder. That’s all... not to go off on some tangent and certainly not intended for someone to publish thesis that 3-Pedals conjures up. There’s a reason he’s on mine and a bunch of others RL’ers ignore list.

btw, I don’t have any issue with the instrument cluster. It works for me.

Last edited by GTDrivershop; 01-26-2022 at 08:09 AM.
Old 01-26-2022, 07:19 AM
GTDrivershop
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Carcam
Is that a Leica Q2? Excellent German camera for an excellent German car😉
It is a Leica Q2. Love the thing as a go anywhere camera. I know you are also a Leica fan 😉
Carcam (01-26-2022)
Old 01-26-2022, 08:58 AM
Ukkid74
Burning Brakes

Received 609 Likes on 282 Posts

Swop out for the tray 🤷🏼‍♂️ It holds ya I phone
Old 01-26-2022, 09:44 AM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,570 Likes on 871 Posts

1. Turn car on.
2. Switch to track mode.

Did you read my post? Clearly you have not so let me quote part of my own post:

You, me , or 932 other people in this forum will never look at those outer gauges but still the fact that there are gauges on the instrument cluster that you simply cannot see is a massive oversight.
I dont need you to provide a workaround as I personally would not use the outer gauges or the cup holder. The point here is Porsche doesnt make these types of mistakes. You'd expect this from a Corvette or a Mustang.
Old 01-26-2022, 09:50 AM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by GTDrivershop
It is a Leica Q2. Love the thing as a go anywhere camera. I know you are also a Leica fan 😉
I have the Q2M, SL2, SL2-S and a few of the APO Summicron-SL lenses. Just posted a few pics of my TTS on the Turbo board. Good to know I can keep my Q with me when I get the touring without it bouncing around. May have to get the Q3 to get some color, though
Old 01-26-2022, 09:52 AM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

deleted
Old 01-26-2022, 09:53 AM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by signes
Yikes, lots of force on that lens mount not to mention impacts on the lens elements. If you like your camera I wouldn't do that...
It's a fixed lens camera, no lens mount.
GTDrivershop (01-26-2022)
Old 01-26-2022, 09:58 AM
sparkhill
Rennlist Member

Received 481 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
Did you read my post? Clearly you have not so let me quote part of my own post:

I dont need you to provide a workaround as I personally would not use the outer gauges or the cup holder. The point here is Porsche doesnt make these types of mistakes. You'd expect this from a Corvette or a Mustang.
If you are not using the gauges or cupholder, how is this a "mistake" rather than just superfluous for the majority of owners? Perhaps, it is instead simplicity of design. Have you actually ever driven a 992 GT3, or do you post inane crap just to annoy everybody?
wormman (01-26-2022)
Old 01-26-2022, 10:44 AM
GTDrivershop
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Dr. G
I have the Q2M, SL2, SL2-S and a few of the APO Summicron-SL lenses. Just posted a few pics of my TTS on the Turbo board. Good to know I can keep my Q with me when I get the touring without it bouncing around. May have to get the Q3 to get some color, though
I wonder if there are a bunch of us here who are Leica fans. The lenses are spectacular and I just love the versatility of the Q2. Having stated that, the M11 has my serious interest 🧐😋
Old 01-26-2022, 10:59 AM
GTDrivershop
Former Vendor

If you are not using the gauges or cupholder, how is this a "mistake" rather than just superfluous for the majority of owners? Perhaps, it is instead simplicity of design. Have you actually ever driven a 992 GT3, or do you post inane crap just to annoy everybody?
With respect Sparkhill, I have learnt the hard way about replying to any post by 3-Puddles he will leave you frustrated. The fellow does not drive and by all accounts has never driven a 992 let alone a GT3. A Mr know-it-all who doesn't!
I am rarely this blunt about an RL member but this one takes the cake.
Nuff said and back on topic.
The following 2 users liked this post by GTDrivershop:
ktm450exc (05-17-2022), sparkhill (01-26-2022)
Old 01-26-2022, 11:26 AM
Ro_Ja Boy
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by jayely1
So without the smoking package you get a normal cupholder? Still confused by that option.
Any answer to this?
Old 01-26-2022, 11:33 AM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Yeah - I think you just don't get the drop in cup things.

After receiving the "smoker package," I'm a little ashamed of ordering it. It was "free," but it really has no use for me. I took delivery at my house. After pulling the car into the driveway, I removed the "cup" and tossed it somewhere in the garage. For a GT car, especially a manual, there is really zero benefit I can see for this device.

Also, as far as the cup holder goes, I tossed that too. No way I could drink something in this car the way I drive it...
GT3 Mike (01-26-2022)
Old 01-26-2022, 12:00 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 947 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by raymort
Yeah - I think you just don't get the drop in cup things.

After receiving the "smoker package," I'm a little ashamed of ordering it. It was "free," but it really has no use for me. I took delivery at my house. After pulling the car into the driveway, I removed the "cup" and tossed it somewhere in the garage. For a GT car, especially a manual, there is really zero benefit I can see for this device.

Also, as far as the cup holder goes, I tossed that too. No way I could drink something in this car the way I drive it...
I nearly ordered it, but at the last second my SA showed me how it was very different than it was on the 991/981/718. You got more power outlets before.
Old 01-26-2022, 12:28 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
I nearly ordered it, but at the last second my SA showed me how it was very different than it was on the 991/981/718. You got more power outlets before.
Yeah, I wish there was a 12v outlet there - makes hooking up air compressor easier, but the footwell outlet works fine.
GTDrivershop (01-27-2022)

Quick Reply: Smoking Package Cupholder woes?