Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smoking Package Cupholder woes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2022 | 12:25 PM
GTDrivershop
Former Vendor

Default Smoking Package Cupholder woes?

It was free, it was tempting and the design of that cup looked good so I ticked the box. I knew there was no extra lighter outlet but I was hopeful that I could use the area for something. One month into ownership and I remained unable to find a reasonable use of the wonderfully designed cup with the lid and the space. The diameter size makes the space either too small or too large for most things and like most, I hate rattles and loose clunks. I gave up until today.

I carry few things in the car but usually have my phone and my travel DSLR with me when I'm out driving. Even in a bag, the camera usually shifts around on the passenger seat and risks damage upon sudden braking etc. Today I discovered what Porsche actually designed that space for... MY CAMERA! Perfect fit, zero movement and easy to yank out and use. I would have paid for the option if it had been marketed as a camera holder.

What's your story about that space?

The following users liked this post:
Itzkirb (01-26-2022)
Old 01-24-2022 | 12:27 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Its utterly useless.

I think the interior of the GT is so well designed everywhere else. Very minimal, not a ton of fluff, buttons do what they are supposed to.

But the cupholder is ***.
Old 01-24-2022 | 12:32 PM
jayely1
Pro

So without the smoking package you get a normal cupholder? Still confused by that option.
Old 01-24-2022 | 12:56 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GTDrivershop
It was free, it was tempting and the design of that cup looked good so I ticked the box. I knew there was no extra lighter outlet but I was hopeful that I could use the area for something. One month into ownership and I remained unable to find a reasonable use of the wonderfully designed cup with the lid and the space. The diameter size makes the space either too small or too large for most things and like most, I hate rattles and loose clunks. I gave up until today.

I carry few things in the car but usually have my phone and my travel DSLR with me when I'm out driving. Even in a bag, the camera usually shifts around on the passenger seat and risks damage upon sudden braking etc. Today I discovered what Porsche actually designed that space for... MY CAMERA! Perfect fit, zero movement and easy to yank out and use. I would have paid for the option if it had been marketed as a camera holder.

What's your story about that space?

Yikes, lots of force on that lens mount not to mention impacts on the lens elements. If you like your camera I wouldn't do that...
Old 01-24-2022 | 12:58 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
Its utterly useless.

I think the interior of the GT is so well designed everywhere else. Very minimal, not a ton of fluff, buttons do what they are supposed to.

But the cupholder is ***.
The software, backup camera, and cupholders were all designed by the same person/team it seems. This might be a case of "you're not good enough to work on the chassis or motor, so you can work on the cup holders".
The following 2 users liked this post by ShakeNBake:
raymort (01-24-2022), Yippiekiaye (01-24-2022)
Old 01-24-2022 | 12:59 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

I saw your post in the Smokies GT FB account.....lol.

The cupholder doesn't work with a manual. Not in anyway. ....and let's face it. Despite Porsches expectations and desires, most of us buy the manual.

But I also don't want to embarrass myself either. We don't buy these cars for the cupholders.

Last edited by subshooter; 01-24-2022 at 01:00 PM.
Old 01-24-2022 | 01:00 PM
GTDrivershop
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by signes
Yikes, lots of force on that lens mount not to mention impacts on the lens elements. If you like your camera I wouldn't do that...
Yeesh!... you make a good point. I may get a padded base to absorb the forces.
Old 01-24-2022 | 01:03 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

On day one, I removed the smoke cup & cup holder and installed the blank tray. I use it to hold my iPhone, reasonably well.
The following 2 users liked this post by raymort:
SB27 (05-16-2022), Ukkid74 (05-16-2022)
Old 01-24-2022 | 01:07 PM
GTDrivershop
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by subshooter
I saw your post in the Smokies GT FB account.....lol.

The cupholder doesn't work with a manual. Not in anyway. ....and let's face it. Despite Porsches expectations and desires, most of us buy the manual.

But I also don't want to embarrass myself either. We don't buy these cars for the cupholders.
Oh no! it's the trouble maker from Smokies and he wants to turn this thread into a manual vs PDK debate. 🤣
I do love the lad 😉 🫂

The following users liked this post:
subshooter (01-24-2022)
Old 01-24-2022 | 01:10 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
The software, backup camera, and cupholders were all designed by the same person/team it seems. This might be a case of "you're not good enough to work on the chassis or motor, so you can work on the cup holders".
I recently got a panamera- I was shocked how bad that rear camera is. Shocked! its worse than the GT.
Old 01-24-2022 | 01:11 PM
GTDrivershop
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by raymort
On day one, I removed the smoke cup & cup holder and installed the blank tray. I use it to hold my iPhone, reasonably well.
That smoke cupholder is beautifully designed... but useless. I do wonder how much effort and money went into that at the design stage.
Old 01-24-2022 | 01:22 PM
GTDrivershop
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
I just saw your post Yippe. You're spot on mate. Especially the bunch of ******** who coded up TYD. Singularly the most frustrating POS online tracking experience I've had.
The cupholders were obviously the result of imbibing the contents of every receptacle that could fit in that space... all with booze!
Old 01-25-2022 | 06:34 PM
shack993
Rennlist Member

Paging Bird, please bring back the 993 aftermarket cupholders. Seems like there is a market in 992 gt3 manual owners.
Old 01-25-2022 | 06:50 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Its not so much that these cars are bought for cup holders or rear cameras but rather in a car built by people known for how obsessively they engineer things to perfection, these slip ups are not acceptable (not to mention in today’s market conditions in a car with this price point). I would look at it from that lens rather than repeatedly saying no one buys the car for cup holders. If you spend 5 minutes under these cars and have slightly above average academics, you’ll understand that every little thing has been carefully thought through. You simply dont expect Porsche to make these mistakes. They have been clearly overlooked. You, me , or 932 other people in this forum will never look at those outer gauges but still the fact that there are gauges on the instrument cluster that you simply cannot see is a massive oversight. When that cluster was designed, someone should have said something about the inability to see all the information presented on it.
The following 2 users liked this post by 3-Pedals:
FC356 (01-25-2022), Porsche911GTS'16 (01-26-2022)
Old 01-25-2022 | 07:29 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Is that a Leica Q2? Excellent German camera for an excellent German car😉

Quick Reply: Smoking Package Cupholder woes?