Sponsored by:

Xpel etc..

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2021, 06:35 PM
NYCGT3
Pro

Received 219 Likes on 137 Posts
Default Xpel etc..

Hello, As I wait for my delivery, I’m trying to line everything up so I’m prepared and everything goes smoothly. I’m curious as to what people are doing with Xpel, etc… Ceramic? No ceramic. What is everyone paying? I realize it’s an important decision, but 5% of the cars cost? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by NYCGT3; 10-27-2021 at 08:37 PM.
Old 10-26-2021, 07:12 PM
GTDrivershop
Former Vendor

Received 120 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by NYCGT3
Hello, As I wait for my delivery, I’m trying to line everything up so I’m prepared and everything goes smoothly. I’m curious as to what people are doing with Xpel, etc… Ceramic? No ceramic. What is everyone paying? I realize it’s an important decision, but 5% of the cars cost? Thanks in advance.
Just my 2 cents... and I'll start by "if I can do it...anyone can".
For 3 of my last cars I've ceramic coated on PPF myself.

I've used Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light + EXO v4 Package from Obsessed Garage and it was easy peezy to put on and wipe off. For me to do it yourself is a no brainer. Its an easy Saturday project.

Re: PPF... I'm still thinking full Xpel but slowly leaning more towards full front and all leading edges with special attention to the rear fender hit areas.
The following users liked this post:
NYCGT3 (10-26-2021)
Old 10-26-2021, 07:50 PM
JAMilford
Racer

Received 239 Likes on 118 Posts

When my car arrives next spring, I am planning a full wrap in XPEL Ultimate Plus, XPEL headlight protection film, widows in lightly tinted XPEL Prime XR ceramic window tint and full coating of GTechniq including wheels and calipers. I have used a high-end installer for similar applications for 5 other cars in the last 3 years and expect the total cost to approach $10K (assuming little paint correction is required for the factory PTS paint), but their quality is impeccable and they offer free replacement labor in 5 years for just the cost of the materials (though I must admit I have not kept any of my cars that long). I have ED so my installer is going to give me some XPEL Track Wrap to coarsely "dry-apply" on the hood, front fenders and mirrors. I have had the same installer apply 3M, SunTek, and XPEL films They all have benefits and each of their compositions has changed over the last few years but lately I have prefered XPEL products. GTechniq is fantastic ceramic coating but I have found that about 2-3 years is the practical life for hydrophobic properties. I would expect to need to reapply the GTechniq every 3 years but highly recommend it.
The following users liked this post:
NYCGT3 (10-26-2021)
Old 10-26-2021, 08:15 PM
NYCGT3
Pro

Originally Posted by GTDrivershop
Just my 2 cents... and I'll start by "if I can do it...anyone can".
For 3 of my last cars I've ceramic coated on PPF myself.

I've used Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light + EXO v4 Package from Obsessed Garage and it was easy peezy to put on and wipe off. For me to do it yourself is a no brainer. Its an easy Saturday project.

Re: PPF... I'm still thinking full Xpel but slowly leaning more towards full front and all leading edges with special attention to the rear fender hit areas.
I admire your skill. There is NO possible way I would even consider it. Thank you.
Old 10-26-2021, 08:22 PM
GTDrivershop
Former Vendor

Received 120 Likes on 56 Posts

I admire your skill. There is NO possible way I would even consider it. Thank you.
No skill man. Seriously, ceramic coating with Gtechniq is not rocket science.

I will clarify.... no way I would do PPF myself. I've been using great guys in ATL.

Last edited by GTDrivershop; 10-26-2021 at 08:37 PM.
Old 10-27-2021, 08:19 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 284 Posts

it is incredibly easy. Trust me if Mayur (Haku) can do it, anyone can!

Old 10-27-2021, 08:51 AM
NYCGT3
Pro

Thanks. I’m not going to do I myself. I’m simply wondering if the ceramic treatment is necessary with Xpel, and what I should and shouldn’t get. The cost in my area seems to vary also. I’d like to do it properly, but not overkill..
Old 10-27-2021, 11:10 AM
DCGT3
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

I’m in the middle of my full car PPF process and here is what I’m doing:

- Stek Dynoshield PPF. Already has Ceramic coating infused. Xpel doesn’t so you need to add that step/ cost.
- having the wheels/brake calipers ceramic coated
- Full car being done using bulk. No precut patterns
- bumpers and lights removed so there are no seams.
- PPF on the interior piano black plastic near the gear shift to avoid smudges
- tinted PPF on rear reflectors.

It’s not cheap but it’s an investment I felt was necessary on such a beautiful and expensive car.
Old 10-27-2021, 11:23 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 756 Posts

From my perspective, I don't think it's necessary. It's maybe a nice to have on top of PPF for an extra layer of protection from stains etc, will ad some hydrophobic properties as well. Not sure what gloss it would improve on top of PPF.

You may also do well do get away with applying something like CarPro Reload (others out there like it), similar less concentrated compound as the straight coatings. You apply after a wash every few months, delivers similar characteristics.

As for PPF, I typically PPF front ends. On my last GT3 I did full car, I think that was a waste. I did it thinking I was going to keep it long term, that always proves wrong with new cars. This time I will for sure do front end, though thinking full car (as I might keep it long term, haha).

PPF to me for the front end is a no brainer on special cars. I don't do it on my DD as that will get returned after the lease.
Old 10-27-2021, 11:37 AM
Chadmfive
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

I own a PPF & Ceramic coating shop in Michigan. Midnight Protective Films "Shameless plug"

I did Full body PPF on my 992 GT3. Please don't cheap out. Roughly full body ppf should cost around 6-8k. We do full PPF on Tesla Model 3 that's $40k all day long. You have a special car that cost $200k+.
We use Xpel Products. Please reach out to me if you have any question.

Old 10-27-2021, 11:59 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,257 Likes on 1,036 Posts

I'm getting mine PPF'd for $1700. Xpel, Hood, front quarter panels, mirrors and front bumper.

Includes clay bar treatment before applying.
Old 10-27-2021, 12:37 PM
NYCGT3
Pro

Originally Posted by Chadmfive
I own a PPF & Ceramic coating shop in Michigan. Midnight Protective Films "Shameless plug"

I did Full body PPF on my 992 GT3. Please don't cheap out. Roughly full body ppf should cost around 6-8k. We do full PPF on Tesla Model 3 that's $40k all day long. You have a special car that cost $200k+.
We use Xpel Products. Please reach out to me if you have any question.

prices here in the NYC area are significantly higher. I won’t “ cheap out”, but I’m not anxious to buy applications I don’t need. I’ll do the full car, but I don’t understand the value added with ceramic etc..,
Old 10-27-2021, 12:38 PM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Received 3,022 Likes on 1,388 Posts

Whether you PPF or not, ceramic coating is 100% necessary. Detailing cars without it is such a pain in the ***. It makes all the difference.
Old 10-27-2021, 12:50 PM
Esoteric_Detail
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 174 Likes on 96 Posts

PPF installations can vary based upon your wants/needs and WHO installs your PPF is far more important than WHAT particular brand they are installing. Sticking with a well known brand and concentrating on choosing the installer will be the key to PPF happiness and satisfaction. Great installers can make mediocre PPF look great and poor installers can make great PPF look mediocre. While definitely not a suit of armor, it will indeed protect from some of the 'aesthetic dangers' of the roads out there. Most PPF will have some self-healing ability built in so minor swirls and such will diminish in the sun which is an additional benefit. Costs will vary based upon amount of coverage desired, your particular region and some other installation factors.

Applying a ceramic coating on top of the PPF will aid in protecting from environmental contamination and incidents to a certain degree and will definitely make cleaning and upkeep easier due to the hydrophobic/self-cleaning effects of the ceramic coating.

Some more general information about PPF along with some illustrations of popular packages: https://www.esotericdetail.com/detai...ilm-clear-bra/

And some additional informational content regarding PPF:

Paint Protection Film (PPF) explained in 5 MINUTES

Paint Protection Film (PPF) Installation Services by ESOTERIC!

In the event of a somewhat extensive impact that does affect the film but not the paint underneath, replacement of film is certainly easier than trying to paint-match panels with a respray, notably on metallic paints!

Porsche Boxster Spyder PPF Replacement at ESOTERIC

​​​​​​

With the 'heavy-lifting' already done prior to the PPF installation (paint prep and correction) there are indeed some very easy-to-use ceramic products available that some might find appealing if they are of the DIY-mindset. A 'lighter' but still very easy and effective combo is POLISHANGEL Primer & Cosmic Spritz.

More of a ceramic-infused sealant as opposed to a more robust, full-on ceramic coating, it's *very* easy to apply:

POLISHANGEL Primer Spritz + Cosmic Spritz Kit

If one is more inclined to use a full-on, multi-year ceramic coating, Kamikaze offers Miyabi which is one of the easiest ceramic coatings one can apply!

The EASIEST glass coating in the world!

​​​​​​Like everything though, there is certainly no 'one-size-fits-all' protection strategy that will universally cover all incidents, vehicle usage scenarios and budgets. As such, PPF is highly dependent on your personal wants and needs so it's best to consider how these variables affect your own situation. If you decide PPF is something you find appealing, find a shop, do your due diligence by visiting the them, seeing some of their work, how they carry and present themselves and choose one who you feel comfortable with. PPF can be a collaborative project if you like, not merely a 'price-tag' transaction; who you're working with will add an extra level of comfort if you enjoy working with them, adding an intangible but valuable aspect to the overall experience. Additionally, should any warranty claims arise, the shop will be your greatest advocate with the mfg should aspects of that come into play.

PPF (and ceramic coatings) are a great way to protect your valued asset, a level of comfort if you find it suits you.​​​​ For some it may be excessive for lightly used vehicles but for others with all types of driving habits and patterns, it may just fit the bill nicely.
HRE Wheels . Vossen Wheels . BBS Wheels . Akrapovic Exhaust . Fabspeed Exhaust . KW Suspension

9801 Karmar Ct. New Albany, Ohio 43054
(614) 855-6855
Contact@EsotericDetail.com
EsotericDetail.com
EsotericCarCare.com
ESOTERIC on YouTube
The following 5 users liked this post by Esoteric_Detail:
CDACH (10-27-2021), michaeldorian (10-27-2021), NYCGT3 (10-27-2021), PTS (10-27-2021), ShakeNBake (10-27-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 12:56 PM
PorscheSince2013
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 158 Posts

I was skeptical, but now a full PPF and ceramic convert. The car looks fantastic.

I still take a lot of care washing it properly with a foam pressure washer, proper products, special mitts, leaf blower, good towels. Just as if the car has no PPF. I think with the PPF, the ceramic and aftercare is what adds to the longevity of the work. PPF does not mean you can abuse it. It takes me 30-40 min to do a full external wash including wheels and applying a finishing spray. I think the ceramic coat makes it easier to maintain.

Quick Reply: Xpel etc..