Sponsored by:

Xpel etc..

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2021, 12:56 PM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Received 3,114 Likes on 1,428 Posts

^ /thread

Great post above @ Esoteric_Detail. I am a massive detailing nerd (have spent way too much money on my garage) and everything stated above is exactly my experience over the last decade with PPF, coatings, and upkeep.
The following users liked this post:
Esoteric_Detail (10-27-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 01:04 PM
Chadmfive
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is what I would do. I'll not leave exposed paint and just cover it with liquid. For anyone that say Ceramic coating only. Please don't.
PPF>Ceramic coating.
Having ceramic coating on top of the ppf is nice because it helps making it easy to clean & maintain.
I haven't ceramic coated my PPF yet because I plan on wrapping it in a different color (Probably this week). If it's ceramic coated, it will give me hard time for the wrap to stick.
I keep the car clean, wash multiple times a week. The peace of mind knowing I have a protected paint is AWESOME

Quick reply, sorry I'm driving.
Old 10-27-2021, 01:21 PM
PTS
Rennlist Member

I don't think anyone is suggesting ceramic coating in lieu of PPF. If you're not PPF'ing your car, you need a coating as some form of protection. If you have PPF, coating is less important for protection but still has many positives. It's a nightmare to detail a car with no hydrophobic properties on the surface. You end up adding imperfections to the paint/PPF without a coating given you need more contact with the paint/film to remove contaminates/soap/water. On my properly coated cars, 99% of the detail/wash is completed without touching the paint with a towel, only a microfiber wash mitt makes contact with the paint, post foam cannon. I then apply a dual towel drying aid wipe down. This helps keep paint/PPF swirl free.

Ceramic coating is always a good idea, unless you're in the extremely rare position of the guy above me...having plans to wrap a car with something other than PPF (which almost no one in here will do)
The following 2 users liked this post by PTS:
gtsman (10-27-2021), NYCGT3 (10-27-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 05:00 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS
I don't think anyone is suggesting ceramic coating in lieu of PPF. If you're not PPF'ing your car, you need a coating as some form of protection. If you have PPF, coating is less important for protection but still has many positives. It's a nightmare to detail a car with no hydrophobic properties on the surface. You end up adding imperfections to the paint/PPF without a coating given you need more contact with the paint/film to remove contaminates/soap/water. On my properly coated cars, 99% of the detail/wash is completed without touching the paint with a towel, only a microfiber wash mitt makes contact with the paint, post foam cannon. I then apply a dual towel drying aid wipe down. This helps keep paint/PPF swirl free.

Ceramic coating is always a good idea, unless you're in the extremely rare position of the guy above me...having plans to wrap a car with something other than PPF (which almost no one in here will do)
How long will ceramic on top of PPF last? Does it help with removing tire rubber from PPF?
Old 10-27-2021, 05:02 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 634 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
How long will ceramic on top of PPF last? Does it help with removing tire rubber from PPF?
I assume when I scrub the tire rubber off I have scrubbed any possible remaining ceramic coating off..
Old 10-27-2021, 05:47 PM
George P.
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
I assume when I scrub the tire rubber off I have scrubbed any possible remaining ceramic coating off..
don’t scrub. There are products that can help separate it from ceramic coating. The rubber itself should not adhere very strongly to the ceramic coating. Kinda the point. Ask your detailer what they recommend.
Old 10-27-2021, 06:08 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 779 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS

Forget towels. You need a Bigboi. No contact!

Also if you haven't used a DI system, that's a game changer. Air dry the car! Has saved me so much time over the past few years. Bignoi came last year which I primarily use to blow out seams, jams, wheels and sometimes the paint if I feel like having fun.

Last edited by SToronto; 10-27-2021 at 06:14 PM.
Old 10-27-2021, 06:09 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mech33
Maybe, maybe not I'd say. Really depends on what chemicals you are using to get track rubber off.
Old 10-27-2021, 06:13 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

If curious about longevity. I have a 997.2 that was coated with OptiCoat (cheaper one of the two detailer ones) back in 2012. Car is only used around 3k a year and stored inside all year round. I have maintained the coating off and on over the years using CarPro Reload, a silica based coating spray. Water still sheets nicely and the gloss is great.
Old 10-27-2021, 06:17 PM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SToronto
Forget towels. You need a Big Boi. No contact!

Also if you haven't used a DI system, that's a game changer. Air dry the car! Has saved me so much time over the past few years. Big Boi came last year which I primarily use to blow out seams, jams, wheels and sometimes the paint if I feel like having fun.
I have dual 6hp air blowers setup for air drying the car, I don't use towels to dry. After you air dry the car, you can apply a drying aid (like below) and wipe with specific microfibers designed for this step. https://www.obsessedgarage.com/produ...EaAhkPEALw_wcB

My setup is a Kranzle KT1322TS pressure washer with auto start/stop, fed through a CR Spotless Dionization system, fed into a mosmatic wand setup off of a wall mounted *** hose reel. I'm deep in the weeds LOL

Last edited by PTS; 10-27-2021 at 06:24 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by PTS:
mashoutposse (09-07-2023), ShakeNBake (10-27-2021), SToronto (10-27-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 06:23 PM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Too many variables that can change the longevity. There are 2, 3, and 5 year coatings. If you live near an ocean or heavily salted areas that can change the life of the coating dramatically. I tend to opt for 2 year coatings and reapply every year, or as soon as I see the coating lose its hydrophobic properties.

Yes a proper ceramic coating should absolutely help with removing rubber from PPF
Old 10-27-2021, 06:24 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PTS
I have dual 6hp air blowers setup for air drying the car, I don't use towels to dry. After you air dry the car, you can apply a drying aid (like below) and wipe with specific microfibers designed for this step.

My setup is a Kranzle KT1322TS pressure washer with auto start/stop, fed through a CR Spotless Dionization system, fed into a mosmatic wand setup off of a wall mounted *** hose reel. I'm deep in the weeds LOL

https://www.obsessedgarage.com/produ...EaAhkPEALw_wcB
Ah, missed that I guess. I use CarPro Reload after drying or while slightly damp with microfibre.

Kranzle was a game changer too, it's been great, think I've had it for 4 years now. Quality stuff. Mosmatic wand too.

I'd love to perma plumb everything in, would make washing less of a chore due to no set up and tear down of equipment. Was thinking about doing that this year, but we might move. So don't want to bother as I'll have to rejig some water piping and electrical.

OG is great, some stuff a little over the top. But interesting nonetheless.
Old 10-27-2021, 06:26 PM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SToronto
Ah, missed that I guess. I use CarPro Reload after drying or while slightly damp with microfibre.

Kranzle was a game changer too, it's been great, think I've had it for 4 years now. Quality stuff. Mosmatic wand too.

I'd love to perma plumb everything in, would make washing less of a chore due to no set up and tear down of equipment. Was thinking about doing that this year, but we might move. So don't want to bother as I'll have to rejig some water piping and electrical.

OG is great, some stuff a little over the top. But interesting nonetheless.
Makes detailing so much more fun! I tore all the walls open in my garage last year and redid all the pluming and electrical and it changed the game. Glad to see another detailing enthusiast around here
Old 10-27-2021, 06:34 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PTS
Makes detailing so much more fun! I tore all the walls open in my garage last year and redid all the pluming and electrical and it changed the game. Glad to see another detailing enthusiast around here
I believe it. It really is a chore to get it all set up and connected and then to have to take it all apart for storage. This includes a CR spotless. I've got a routine down to make it quicker, but still the worst part of it all. Nice clean setup you have.

I've always had an interest in car detailing, since my early teens and then more so when I had my own car. I have less time for this with 2 young kids now, but enjoy it when I can.

The one thing I find about detailing products, is there is a ton of marketing and a crapload of brands and products. It's like protein powders....maybe worse.

Quick Reply: Xpel etc..